Russian invasion of Ukraine

It would need putin leaving/dying and the new guy being much less anti-west for a start and then I would think there would be a requirement for them to give up nuclear weapons, which I doubt they would do.
Which is why I just cannot see any way that Russia could be re-accommodated in the near future, and by near I’m talking many decades.

Of course they should, eventually. We’ve forgiven Germany for 2 WW and the Holocaust so if that can happen then over time Russia can be too.
But that involved large-scale occupation of Germany for nearly half a century, yet one can hardly imagine such a scenario for a country the size of Russia. That is why I can only see Russia ultimately retreating within its borders, and being a pariah state (certainly for Europe) for many, many decades to come.

That is why I can only see Russia ultimately retreating within its borders, and being a pariah state (certainly for Europe) for many, many decades to come.

It'll just be another cold war then, making Europe and the world more dangerous in the future by promoting another arms race.

Best to deal with them now while the iron is hot, otherwise we will be kicking trouble into the long grass.

It'll just be another cold war then, making Europe and the world more dangerous in the future by promoting another arms race.

Best to deal with them now while the iron is hot, otherwise we will be kicking trouble into the long grass.

What does "deal with them now" look like?

But that involved large-scale occupation of Germany for nearly half a century, yet one can hardly imagine such a scenario for a country the size of Russia. That is why I can only see Russia ultimately retreating within its borders, and being a pariah state (certainly for Europe) for many, many decades to come.
Or it will break up. I am fairly sure that there are quite a few republics that form the Russian Federation will try to take the opportunity of a weakened Moscow to secede from the federation. They're never going to get a better chance.

It would need putin leaving/dying and the new guy being much less anti-west for a start and then I would think there would be a requirement for them to give up nuclear weapons, which I doubt they would do.

It can happen and history points to that, Gorbachev came along in the 80s and wanted a less confrontational way of dealing with the West at a time when nuclear war seemed unavoidable and allowing much more freedom of speech within the Soviet Union. There must be people in The Kremlin who don’t want this constant being on a war footing and see the potential for Russia to prosper with the gas it can supply to the West.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.