Scariest away day following City

Number 1, Naples the first time we went, genuinely sinister. Number 2, would you believe Wigan at Springfield Park in League Cup about 1983, saw a number of blues slashed afterwards walking back to the station. I wonder if we appreciate how often Maine Road gets the vote when other clubs pose this question. I loved everything about the place, but then again I was a local.

Not sure it was an ambush as everyone knew what was going to happen, think it was the numbers that surprised everyone. Think there are at least a couple on this site that were at the Whalley that day and in K stand
Everyone did know what was going to happen, it was way too common knowledge City were meeting there as we'd done it the time before! It split the mob that day as loads wouldn't return to the scene of the crime so to speak, I was one, we went into stretford iirc, utd turned up with 100s and chaos ensued, tho City gave it them worse the year before ,The Star, and chester rd!!

Number 1, Naples the first time we went, genuinely sinister. Number 2, would you believe Wigan at Springfield Park in League Cup about 1983, saw a number of blues slashed afterwards walking back to the station. I wonder if we appreciate how often Maine Road gets the vote when other clubs pose this question. I loved everything about the place, but then again I was a local.
I've seen lots of comments down the years about Maine Road being an ambusher's dream, particularly at night matches, with all those back alleyways in the area. I can imagine it'd make "innocent" oppo fans nervous.

We were sometimes out at 10am for a 3.00 kick off, nobody got an easy ride at Maine rd

We were sometimes out at 10am for a 3.00 kick off, nobody got an easy ride at Maine rd
Agreed. No team fancied the Moss. We were not the biggest..the best...the hardest.. . the best organisation.. but we were game.

Agreed. No team fancied the Moss. We were not the biggest..the best...the hardest.. . the best organisation.. but we were game.
Lads from fallowfield , moss side , Rusholme had every street staked out for some games, the season a City dadnlad got battered at Elland rd was particularly bad , many many Leeds fans didn’t get too far from their cars at M.Rd

Yes an odd mix of die hard hooligans, beer monsters and lads ( And Debbie) who would fight if pushed. Typical Mancs really, quite laid back but woe betide any wankers who tried to take liberties.

Yes an odd mix of die hard hooligans, beer monsters and lads ( And Debbie) who would fight if pushed. Typical Mancs really, quite laid back but woe betide any wankers who tried to take liberties.
I still believe that is the case. City supporters want to be friendly.

I was in that end and can't remember a thing about the match. It was, charge, stand off, charge all game. Loved it.
I was in it too, but in the mob at the bottom left of the Kop. Nobody touched us, maybe a hundred or so. We could see/hear that familiar “roar” from the top of The Kop every now and again but couldn’t really see what was going on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.