Scotland Independance Referendum

If the Scottish vote no they should give the English a vote as soon as possible
The status quo cannot be allowed to continue as it is blatantly wrong that a Scottish MP can vote on Purely English matters but an English MP has no say what so ever in the Scottish Parliament

whp.blue said:
The status quo cannot be allowed to continue as it is blatantly wrong that a Scottish MP can vote on Purely English matters but an English MP has no say what so ever in the Scottish Parliament

If I remember correctly, the Commission established to report on the West Lothian question published its proposals last year. One suggestion is that any legislation pertaining solely to England should carry the support of a majority of MPs representing English constituencies. This would presumably prevent MPs from Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland having undue influence.

Gabriel said:
whp.blue said:

If I remember correctly, the Commission established to report on the West Lothian question published its proposals last year. One suggestion is that any legislation pertaining solely to England should carry the support of a majority of MPs representing English constituencies. This would presumably prevent MPs from Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland having undue influence.

this is not the quite the same as it does not stop a Scottish MP joining the debate and therefore they have a whole lot more influence than an English MP who doesn't even sit in the Scottish parliament

this is a total fudge and until the English have the same rights as everyone else the system remains unfair

Funny they missed the obvious answer : A Parliament for England

Balti said:
nmc said:
As someone born and bred in England - I have little or no interest in Scotland. This is purely a matter for the scots - the English should keep out of the debate. Let the scots decide - but once they make a decision they should stick with it. I wouldn't want the UK disrupted by an ongoing campaign - so let the scots decide yes or no and then let's get on with it. I do find the English attitude of 'let's tell them to go' pathetic. Who will be next the Welsh or Cornwall?

London

King Boris !

without a dream said:
Osbourne set to rule out a currency union today, inevitable really as it wouldn't benefit the rest of the UK in any way should the Scots vote Yes.
Any other policy would be absurd. I'm not one of these 'fuck them if they vote for independence' merchants. I think we should have a positive relationship going forwards whatever the outcome, but to place the pound in any form of jeopardy by welding it to another sizeable economy (over which we had no fiscal control) in any meaningful way, would be fucking nuts imo.

without a dream said:
Osbourne set to rule out a currency union today, inevitable really as it wouldn't benefit the rest of the UK in any way should the Scots vote Yes.
There was never a chance an independent Scotland would continue to use sterling. It would be a huge risk to let our currency be used by a sizeable economy who have complete independence.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
without a dream said:
Any other policy would be absurd. I'm not one of these 'fuck them if they vote for independence' merchants. I think we should have a positive relationship going forwards whatever the outcome, but to place the pound in any form of jeopardy by welding it to another sizeable economy (over which we had no fiscal control) in any meaningful way, would be fucking nuts imo.

Yep, that Salmond doesn't recognise things like this, or chooses to ignore them, is one reason I'd be very wary of voting yes if I were a Scot. I'm sure he'll bang on about English bullying the Scots today and banging the nationalist drum without addressing any of the actual economic issues.

without a dream said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
without a dream said:

Yep, that Salmond doesn't recognise things like this, or chooses to ignore them, is one reason I'd be very wary of voting yes if I were a Scot. I'm sure he'll bang on about English bullying the Scots today and banging the nationalist drum without addressing any of the actual economic issues.
I'm certain he does recognise them and rather, as you suggest, he's choosing to ignore them, publicly at least.

It's akin to resigning from a social club, but still wanting to pop in for free and watch the entertainment, without buying a drink. The club's going to say, sorry pal, it's not fair on the members.

I don't trust what Salmond says at all (he's as bloody politician!), but he is a smart man, I think he is aware of the reality of the situation and hopefully isn't delusional.

On a side note, countries like Ecuador and El Salvador use the US dollar, is that a different scenario or does the US hold sway over their financial policies?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.