Scottish independence

I'd like to know how the 'Yes' voters are so convinced they'll keep the pound, as far as I'm aware, there is an all party consensus that precludes that. Alistair Darling says they will? Not heard that, but even if he did, he's not the one now making the decision, and all I've heard from Salmond is obfuscation and bluster. So all you 'Yessers' please enlighten us.

Len Rum said:
ayrshire_blue said:
metalblue said:
I'd honestly love to know how

Scotland is roughly 8% of the country per population yet contributes 9% to the economy. In other words - subsidising the rUK. Of course, we have higher spending than the rUK but that v considered it's still less than we generate.

In an independent country the need (and want) for Scotland's most popular exports aren't going to suddenly decrease. Whisky, Oil, Tourism and other revenue streams will continue to be gained as they always have done.

Never to mention the huge savings on nuclear weapons/trident which would be put towards issues closer to home for example the likes of food banks which are growing in numbers month by month.

The savings on not invading every country in the world - whether worthwhile or not - can be put to use IN SCOTLAND.

The overriding factor in all my reasons for voting yes is having a say in our own future. Scotland's vote has never meant anything in a general election. Vote Labour - get the Tories. Vote SNP - Get a Tory/lib dem coalition. What's next? Vote SNP and get stuck with Cameron and Farage? Not for me thanks. And no, it's not about every individual getting the government they want but creating a far fairer and democratic society which can be represented by a government voted for by the population it serves.

Nobody's saying it won't be without risk. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And the better together campaign have came up with absolutely NOTHING to suggest Scots could suffer in the result of a YES vote. Instead, they've made half hearted efforts at telling us why we're better giving Westminster our money and letting them make our decisions for us.

"The possibility of being better is better in itself than the fear of being worse".
Great post.
The Yes vote should be about wanting to control your own destiny despite the risks.
I think the risks may be greater than you think and a lot of them are unknown ( that also applies to England by the way).
The position of the monarchy does not seem to have been mentioned a lot in the campaign.
I assume an independent Scotland could become a republic, subject to a referendum?

I hope the vote is NO

but if I was a jock Id want to bin those toffee nosed fucking leeches 1st order of business

along with all the other Dukes Earls Sirs Lords etc etc its all shite

at the turn of the year didnt think it was going to happen, but I think it will be a YES now

Im all for it and will be voting yes, bit of democracy with who we actually vote for running the country, Wales will be next if we get a yes to i think!

tolmie said:
at the turn of the year didnt think it was going to happen, but I think it will be a YES now

Im all for it and will be voting yes, bit of democracy with who we actually vote for running the country, Wales will be next if we get a yes to i think!

then the paddy's and theyre pigs

why would the tory party be against indendent Scotland? By all accounts they would be rid of the main opposition party in the commons if the yes voters win. It's a cast-iron certainty it wont be out of concern for Scotland. Maybe they worry about losing grouse moors, or a sort of reverse version of the ''clearances'' (how f'kin sweet that would be). Maybe they fear those not within the golden circle of the M25 getting ideas and demanding an end to london dominating every thing of any consequence and demanding a more democratic governance (perish the thought)
It makes sense for the tory-lite nu-labour lot to push the no vote, but they are motivated by selfish reasons, not a genuine care for the people of Scotland.
From a purely personal point of view, a yes vote would end forever the chance of the Glasgow clubs playing in the prem.

tolmie said:

Wales simply do not have and cannot have an economy to support and sustain independence - and never will.
I'm 100% for complete indpendence if these countries want it on the basis of NO handouts or subsidies from Westminster whatosever.
Bring it on!

Ancient Citizen said:
I'd like to know how the 'Yes' voters are so convinced they'll keep the pound, as far as I'm aware, there is an all party consensus that precludes that. Alistair Darling says they will? Not heard that, but even if he did, he's not the one now making the decision, and all I've heard from Salmond is obfuscation and bluster. So all you 'Yessers' please enlighten us.

Darling admitted that Scotland couldn't be prevented from using the pound, its a freely traded currency, any country could use it. Just as some countries use the US dollar.

But they would be using it without any control over it. No say on interest rates, no central bank acting as lender of last resort.

You could say that the Scots don't have much say on interest rates now. But they do have certain protections being part of the UK. They cant actually go bust unless the UK as a whole does. As an independent country with no control over interest rate policy that's a much bigger risk. As is the possibility of a recession that they cant get out of by lowering interest rates.

Darling seems to have overplayed his hand on the currency issue, with Scots now seeming to think that retaining the pound without a currency union would be a victory.

cibaman said:
Ancient Citizen said:

Darling admitted that Scotland couldn't be prevented from using the pound, its a freely traded currency, any country could use it. Just as some countries use the US dollar.

But they would be using it without any control over it. No say on interest rates, no central bank acting as lender of last resort.

You could say that the Scots don't have much say on interest rates now. But they do have certain protections being part of the UK. They cant actually go bust unless the UK as a whole does. As an independent country with no control over interest rate policy that's a much bigger risk. As is the possibility of a recession that they cant get out of by lowering interest rates.

Darling seems to have overplayed his hand on the currency issue, with Scots now seeming to think that retaining the pound without a currency union would be a victory.

Darling has played it perfectly.
Just perfect.

TGR said:
tolmie said:

Wales simply do not have and cannot have an economy to support and sustain independence - and never will.
I'm 100% for complete indpendence if these countries want it on the basis of NO handouts or subsidies from Westminster whatosever.
Bring it on!

dunno, probably richer than NZ and more sheep too

cibaman said:
Ancient Citizen said:

So, in effect, there is to be no currency union, but the Scots can call their currency whatever they like. This is and will be their abiding problem, if Salmonds drunken sailor spending spree, planned after separation, follows the same inevitable pattern of others, such as France, who are now in the shit, but have the euro (Germans) to bail them out, it will turn his Scottish nirvana into a basket case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.