Scottish independence

nimrod said:
johnmc said:
If the Scottish people want it then let them have it. Wales will be next to claim independence and after that I suspect Ireland will be unified.

how can Ireland ever be unified when more than half the people dont want to be part of the republic ?

So if the more than half side that doesn't want it to be part of the republic became 49%? And what if the republic were to vote given that it would be rejoining the south?

johnmc said:
nimrod said:
johnmc said:
If the Scottish people want it then let them have it. Wales will be next to claim independence and after that I suspect Ireland will be unified.

how can Ireland ever be unified when more than half the people dont want to be part of the republic ?

So if the more than half side that doesn't want it to be part of the republic became 49%? And what if the republic were to vote given that it would be rejoining the south?[/quote
]
well the republic Irish would have no say 'no vote' and the vast majority of northern Ireland are pro British 'i think' correct me if i'm wrong

johnmc said:
nimrod said:
johnmc said:

So if the more than half side that doesn't want it to be part of the republic became 49%? And what if the republic were to vote given that it would be rejoining the south?

Actually its way more than half, only 28% see themselves as Irish (according to wiki)

British 48.4%
Irish 28.4%
Northern Irish 29.4%
English, Scottish or Welsh 1.5%
All other 3.4%

nimrod said:
johnmc said:
nimrod said:

Actually its way more than half, only 28% see themselves as Irish (according to wiki)

British 48.4%
Irish 28.4%
Northern Irish 29.4%
All other 3.4%

Ok. So there is a legitimate vote for an independent Northern Ireland then? How many of the Northern Irish percentage would vote Irish or British if those were the two choices as Scotland have. We don't know do we.

Anyway does this mean we should all agree with a majority rule?

nimrod said:
johnmc said:
nimrod said:

British 48.4%
Irish 28.4%
Northern Irish 29.4%
All other 3.4%
What proportion of the 111.1% of people in Northern Ireland can't add up?

west didsblue said:
nimrod said:
johnmc said:

British 48.4%
Irish 28.4%
Northern Irish 29.4%
All other 3.4%
What proportion of the 111.1% of people in Northern Ireland can't add up?

17%.

The remaining 74% can add up perfectly well! thank you very much.

Didn't they have votes in Ireland, North & South of the border, as part of the Good Friday Agreement?
Seem to remember that the North voted to stay part of the UK and the Republic voted in favour of renouncing
their claim over the territory. I could be talking shit though.

johnmc said:
Agreed. They'll be free from Westminster.They'll probably go through twenty years of economic hell but at least they'll be masters of their own destiny and they'll probably pull through and it will be a fantastic place to live in. With global warming it could THE place to live in 50 years time!

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Didn't they have votes in Ireland, North & South of the border, as part of the Good Friday Agreement?
Seem to remember that the North voted to stay part of the UK and the Republic voted in favour of renouncing
their claim over the territory. I could be talking shit though.

The agreement acknowledged the majority of people in Northern Ireland wanted to remain as part of the uk and that majority of people in the republic wished to bring a united ireland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.