Scottish independence

4th richest country on earth? That is comic gold Scotland will be lucky to be 104th! Who gets all the money from whisky ? English and American multinationals that own it all? Oil? Food exports worth jack to the country!

What will be left will be a country with the unhealthiest population in the western world, high unemployment an economy like Greece and a hard right hard left fight during the economic meltdown - and those with sense going for Anglo welsh passports! The only winners will be the welsh!

metalblue said:
blue_paul said:
Grolsch30 said:
If they do vote yes, what is the time scale when they cut off the ambilical cord so to speak and become 100% independant?

That's the thing, they won't be a fully independent republic, I can't really see what all the fuss is about.
They would still have the Queen as head of state and there would be mutually beneficial acts in regards to a currency and on defence.

Anyway, a combination of the elderly, frightened middle classes and loyalist rangers fans will see a comfortable 'no' vote.
The most interesting thing for me from all this is wether the concept of federalism will now take hold in the UK and we see devolved powers to the English regions too.
Due to the large population of the nation and the economic and social variances across the state, that perhaps is the way forward.

Devolving powers to the regions would be a disaster mate. The bulk of state revenue comes from the south, devolution would prevent that being distribute across the regions of course we can argue about the size of that distribution but not the notion that what we have now is a fairer system for all. In devolution the only people who win are those who net contributed to the system and, back on topic, despite Salmonds claims to the contrary that is not Scotland.
You're writing off any possibility of the different regions managing more efficient local governance and better economic growth given more power far too easily there. History suggests some would struggle but most would be better off.

Dubai Blue said:
Grolsch30 said:
If they do vote yes, what is the time scale when they cut off the ambilical cord so to speak and become 100% independant?
I think I heard March 2016
Maybe in name, it'll take longer than that in fact.

EalingBlue2 said:
What will be left will be a country with the unhealthiest population in the western world, high unemployment an economy like Greece and a hard right hard left fight during the economic meltdown - and those with sense going for Anglo welsh passports!

I assume this is what your hoping for ? a bit mean spirited

no wonder the Scots cant stand the English eh

Good luck to em I say, hope it goes very well for the jocks if its a yes. (and it should be)

nimrod said:
EalingBlue2 said:
What will be left will be a country with the unhealthiest population in the western world, high unemployment an economy like Greece and a hard right hard left fight during the economic meltdown - and those with sense going for Anglo welsh passports!

Good luck to em I say, hope it goes very well for the jocks if its a yes. (and it should be)
No nim, they'll be fucked without the overbearing suffocating influence of London and Westminster, just look at Canada, Oz, Ireland and the States. :)

aguero93:20 said:
nimrod said:
EalingBlue2 said:

No nim, they'll be fucked without the overbearing suffocating influence of London and Westminster, just look at Canada, Oz, Ireland and the States. :)

Strange that you've used Ireland as an example.

Your other examples left well well well before anyone had a modern economy.
Not to mention that Scotland sells more to the rest of the uk than anywhere else combined.

Ban-jani said:
nimrod said:

Not to mention that Scotland sells more to the rest of the uk than anywhere else combined.
In what way is it strange? Do you have any idea how much living standards have improved here compared to the rest of the UK in the last century?

As for the last part, the UK is still one of Ireland's biggest export markets as well, independence of government doesn't stop trade.

EalingBlue2 said:
4th richest country on earth? That is comic gold Scotland will be lucky to be 104th! Who gets all the money from whisky ? English and American multinationals that own it all? Oil? Food exports worth jack to the country!

What will be left will be a country with the unhealthiest population in the western world, high unemployment an economy like Greece and a hard right hard left fight during the economic meltdown - and those with sense going for Anglo welsh passports! The only winners will be the welsh!

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction !

Ban-jani said:

In what way is it strange? Do you have any idea how much living standards have improved here compared to the rest of the UK in the last century?

As for the last part, the UK is still one of Ireland's biggest export markets as well, independence of government doesn't stop trade.

You genuinely believe that first part? Are we talking about the same Ireland here?
The average wage in the uk is a 5th higher than Ireland, British people are richer, the economy is better and the country is more developed.

No but when many large companies up sticks and move south of the border, the trade will rapidly decrease.

the god Gerry Gow said:
What you have to love about all these arguments is the unshakeable beliefs in the pro voters that there politicians and the way their country is gonna be run is gonna be different.

This as we all know is complete bollocks. Politicians are the same the world over. They do what is best for themselves. There is no other reason for being in the job.

Scotland will get the same wankers the rest of us will get. The only difference will be in the accents they speak with

Here's the thing. Politicians tell lies and they get things plain wrong. In a General Election, you can take a bit of a punt in the knowledge that if it turns out they were bullshitting you can vote the bastards out at the next election. When it comes to a referendum on independence, it's a one off. If it turns out that Salmond is as clueless as I suspect him to be, and the Scottish people vote yes, there'll be no going back if it all goes tits up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.