Scottish independence

pace89 said:
The case for independence is simply flag waving nationalism dressed up as progressive politics. The problems that afflict the poverty stricken in Glasgow are more or less the same as those faced by people in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff etc. The challenges facing fishing communities in the west of Scotland are remarkably similar to those for equivalent communities in Cornwall and Devon. The ultimate argument of the nationalists is that there should be no formal political, economic or social relationship (other than currency union for the convenience of the Scottish government) with any other part of this island. It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

If the Scots want redistribution of wealth then they should be fighting for wealth to be redistributed from the richest part of the Union (London and the South East) to the poorest parts which including Scotland but also northern England, the Welsh Valleys and much of Northern Ireland.

The economic case for independence is nonsensical. Basically the entire tax and spend policy depends on massively optimistic returns on oil without any loss to the economy as a result of British public sector disappearing. The financial services industry is crucial to the Scottish economy but mainly because it’s a cheap way of serving a massive customer base is in England. How many people in England with assets managed by Scottish firms will want a foreign jurisdiction to oversee control of their wealth? Not many I would guess which means a massive disinvestment from the Scottish economy. Similarly there’s no way the Scottish Government could cover the liabilities of Scottish banks unless all their English customers move elsewhere. Or unless all the Scottish banks move elsewhere.

Scotland is a country that historically was divided by religion but is now equally divided by nationalism. The SNP government had the choice of pushing for Devo-max, which the vast majority support and would have united Scotland, but instead chose this process. Whatever the outcome it is going to be close and it is becoming increasingly bitter on each side by the day.

The SNP are no better than UKIP it’s just Westminster is the straw man in the independence debate where as its ‘Brussels’ and the EU Commission for people who want out of the EU. It’s depressing that more people can’t see this for the shoddy power grab that it is.

I understand that, but we can't do anything about that. Our voting influence and therefore our ability to make our government accountable for this are zero.

G-Star Medium Rare said:
Erm, isn't it all because "there are more giant pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs" because of the legacy from Thatcher. So float off Scotland from the UK and Westminster has a Conservative majority ?
Simples!

Oh my...
You have got it in one!
A stroke of genius by 'Call Me Dave'
He ain't as dumb as he looks...

ayrshire_blue said:
pace89 said:
The case for independence is simply flag waving nationalism dressed up as progressive politics. The problems that afflict the poverty stricken in Glasgow are more or less the same as those faced by people in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff etc. The challenges facing fishing communities in the west of Scotland are remarkably similar to those for equivalent communities in Cornwall and Devon. The ultimate argument of the nationalists is that there should be no formal political, economic or social relationship (other than currency union for the convenience of the Scottish government) with any other part of this island. It makes no logical sense whatsoever.

If the Scots want redistribution of wealth then they should be fighting for wealth to be redistributed from the richest part of the Union (London and the South East) to the poorest parts which including Scotland but also northern England, the Welsh Valleys and much of Northern Ireland.

The economic case for independence is nonsensical. Basically the entire tax and spend policy depends on massively optimistic returns on oil without any loss to the economy as a result of British public sector disappearing. The financial services industry is crucial to the Scottish economy but mainly because it’s a cheap way of serving a massive customer base is in England. How many people in England with assets managed by Scottish firms will want a foreign jurisdiction to oversee control of their wealth? Not many I would guess which means a massive disinvestment from the Scottish economy. Similarly there’s no way the Scottish Government could cover the liabilities of Scottish banks unless all their English customers move elsewhere. Or unless all the Scottish banks move elsewhere.

Scotland is a country that historically was divided by religion but is now equally divided by nationalism. The SNP government had the choice of pushing for Devo-max, which the vast majority support and would have united Scotland, but instead chose this process. Whatever the outcome it is going to be close and it is becoming increasingly bitter on each side by the day.

The SNP are no better than UKIP it’s just Westminster is the straw man in the independence debate where as its ‘Brussels’ and the EU Commission for people who want out of the EU. It’s depressing that more people can’t see this for the shoddy power grab that it is.

You should send this in a wee letter to the BT campaign. Never read as much nonsensical patronising snide in all my life.

So just vote ''Yes' and fuck off!

TGR said:
ayrshire_blue said:
pace89 said:

You should send this in a wee letter to the BT campaign. Never read as much nonsensical patronising snide in all my life.

How very aggressive. U ok m8?

ayrshire_blue said:
TGR said:
ayrshire_blue said:

How very aggressive. U ok m8?

If you don't like how it is then simply vote 'Yes'
Your choice.
Put up or shut up.
Simples.

TGR said:
G-Star Medium Rare said:
Erm, isn't it all because "there are more giant pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs" because of the legacy from Thatcher. So float off Scotland from the UK and Westminster has a Conservative majority ?
Simples!

Oh my...
You have got it in one!
A stroke of genius by 'Call Me Dave'
He ain't as dumb as he looks...
Oh dear you are one little Englander.
Do you honestly think 'Call me Dave' wants to go down in history as the PM on who's watch the Union broke up. A massive loss of face and prestige to The Tory party and GB if this happens.
There are some things that are bigger than your little Tory vs Labour world.

To be honest I cannot understand why a tiny minority of the population is allowed to vote on the break up of the United Kingdom.

We, allegedly, live in a democratic country surely we should all get a vote on whether Scotland can leave the union ( judging by some of the comments on here this may actually help the yes vote ).

BlueTony said:
To be honest I cannot understand why a tiny minority of the population is allowed to vote on the break up of the United Kingdom.

We, allegedly, live in a democratic country surely we should all get a vote on whether Scotland can leave the union ( judging by some of the comments on here this may actually help the yes vote ).
It's their country within the union, why should the English get to vote on it? You (England) forced us (Ireland) to stay within the union for 50 years when it was a UK parliament vote despite a blanket return of nationalist MPs here and look how well that turned out.

BlueTony said:

And presumably, just for the sake of consistency, you would want the entire European Union to vote in any UK referendum on breaking away from the EU.

1/3 for the no vote is absolutley stealing money from the bookies, im not into this narrow victory either, i would be very surprised if the yes get 40% of the vote, so im leaving myself open here so any pro yes voters can tell or explain to me the why it should be a yes vote and its benefits to the Scottish people as opposed to the better Together campaign

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.