Season Tickets - 2023/24

Come on Edgy, surely you could have come up with a better example than that rag twat?

I know mate. It's the closest high profile 'type' of player I could think of though. I think Lineker once compared the two. Rather box to box but doesn't get the number of goals that the likes of Lampard and Gerrard got.

Just looked and Robson scored a lot more frequently than I gave him credit for too (bit before my time).

Don't want to divert the direction of the thread. It was just highlighting that the 2 million they'll make from increasing seasoncards £50 you could freeze them for 60 years instead of buying Jude. It just shows how much of a drop in the ocean that income is to them and completely unnecessary. Then you'll have people on here defending the rises bleating about FFP with blue tinted specs on.

Nothing lasts forever… nothing!

Manchester United fans will confirm this, haha
I don’t think it’s sustainable either. We all know PL football is too expensive and restrictive to go along with your mates as a young person and has been for many since the 00s at least. You have to be initiated into it by an older relative. That means multiple season tickets and matchday tickets. I am trying to bring my lads up in it but the way things are going we are bound to be part of a shrinking demographic because the cost makes this harder every year.

The core of our support is middle aged or retired and there’s no guarantee those matchgoers will be replaced as younger folk have other distractions, higher housing costs, less wage growth and so won’t get chance to form a lifelong loyalty because they are priced out.

But kids still love football so lower division and non-league clubs could have a field day for those that want the fresh air. It’s been said before to some derision but how many who might now go to Stockport or West Dids and Chorlton would once have been Blues? How many who go to Salford or FCUM would have been Reds, how many who now go to Wrexham would once have been Scousers? Folk might laugh and think the numbers and quality of football pose no serious threat, but I think that would be complacent - these sides could grow and grow as the PL becomes less accessible and starts to sink with debt and hubris.

You can argue that this really only affects matchgoing, but without matchgoing you don’t have a product.

My feeling is that big PL clubs everywhere are overestimating people’s capacity to withstand price rises, and overestimating the sustainability of football tourism in an era where wages shrink, prices rise, and green mandates will make travel more difficult. They are underestimating the value of generational and local ties and having an audience on the doorstep who can provide years of loyalty and recurring income if you don’t push them too hard.

But fans can also do their bit. We have so many loyal, diehard ST holders but we also have those who aren’t making the most of it, acquired them to lock in big games or whatever and are now hogging them, when they come they stay silent, spend the game looking at bets on their phone, can’t wait to go - if they really asked themselves, they might find out they are not all that mithered about matchgoing and would rather watch in the pub. The club is going to know this and wants to shake them out, and we’ll all pay a price as they do this.

As a fan base we also ought not to encourage unnecessary or excessive signings while we have a deep squad and loads of academy lads itching for minutes. I would not want us to pay more than £60m for Bellingham. He’s a talented kid but the numbers being talked about are ridiculous,the cost will be passed on to us and we do not need him at the prices being talked about.

So why do you think the club are so keen to pay £130 mill for him, we aren't reckless with our spending, what are they not seeing?

I'm hoping we are inflating the price for others to throw their money at. Like we've done in the past with Maguire, Fred etc. As Jazz suggests they'll try and pass the cost onto us and I really don't think we need him.

In comparison to others we have been very good in the transfer market in recent years but lets not kid ourselves we are completely immune to it. We've also had numerous flops. (I'm not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination Jude would be a flop). Santa Cruz, Bony, Mangala, Mendy all instantly spring to mind. In the summer we spent in excess of £50 million for Kalvin Phillips and Serio Gomes and Pep seems reluctant to play either of them. Linking that back to season ticket rises it's a 25 year price freeze. I'd have added Grealish to that list but he's improved immeasurably this season. His finishing is still poor and decision-making in the final third sometimes leaves a lot to be desired and is why I'd still have a fully fit on fire Foden ahead of a £100 million signing.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we are inflating the price for others to throw their money at. Like we've done in the past with Maguire, Fred etc. Like Jazz said they'll pass the cost onto us and I really don't think we need him.

In comparison to others we have been very good in the transfer market in recent years but lets not kid ourselves we are completely immune to it. We've also had numerous flops. (I'm not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination Jude would be a flop). Santa Cruz, Bony, Mangala, Mendy all instantly spring to mind. In the summer we spent in excess of £50 million for Kalvin Phillips and Serio Gomes and Pep seems reluctant to play either of them. Linking that back to season ticket rises it's a 25 year price freeze. I'd have added Grealish to that list but he's improved immeasurably this season. His finishing is still poor and decision-making in the final third sometimes leaves a lot to be desired and is why I'd still have a fully fit on fire Foden ahead of a £100 million signing.
Lots of reasons why you're wrong but this is the wrong thread for it.

I'm hoping we are inflating the price for others to throw their money at. Like we've done in the past with Maguire, Fred etc. Like Jazz said they'll pass the cost onto us and I really don't think we need him.

We don't need him? KDB is 31, Gundo 32, Silva wants to leave and Phillips isn't good enough. We deffo need him

I know this isn’t really the time where people want to hear the club praised. But it’s easy to accept good things as just the way things are and not give credit.

I’ve just noticed looking at those Fulham prices that if you want to spread the cost out over 10 months it’ll cost you +6%.

I wonder how many other clubs bar City offer a payment plan at 0%?

So you are confirming the opinion that loads disgruntled Blues are only interested in the very big games.

IMHO, for a few years after the South Stand expansion people could pick and choose their games if they didn’t have a season card. Then come Haaland and Grealish and we are back to tickets being scarce for the very big games.
Hence the expansion of the North Stand
It's always been the case that football fans are only really interested in the big games. In the deep dark past, the only games that anything near sold out were derbies, cup semis and finals, and new-year's day/boxing day.

The game has been hyped up by turning players into mega stars, and society's obsession with the cult of personality.

At the end of the day, it's always been just about businesses making more money.

I know this isn’t really the time where people want to hear the club praised. But it’s easy to accept good things as just the way things are and not give credit.

I’ve just noticed looking at those Fulham prices that if you want to spread the cost out over 10 months it’ll cost you +6%.

I wonder how many other clubs bar City offer a payment plan at 0%?
Not sure but I noticed Spurs also offer the option to spread the cost over 10 months for 6%.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.