Serbia v England - Sun 16th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before I start I don't rate Southgate but the above statement is just wrong.

He took over from the utter top hat Allardyce and has created a spirit in the England team I have never seen before in my time as a football fan.

Southgate has almost created a club side mentality, no cliques, no issues and a squad of players fighting for the shirt.

The only issue with Southgate is tactically and making the big decisions during games, something so far he has looked out of his depth at.

The Foden we know at City has so far not turned up for England but that's has happened to dozen of players before and will in the future.

Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes 3 players that never reproduced their club form regularly in the National team.
Your last paragraph is spot on. However, what was the problem back then? Shoehorning players in who weren’t suited to the position they played and a rigid formation. Scholes stuck on the left is the same thing we’re seeing now with Phil.

He thinks he’s being progressive having him there instead of a Henderson or Gallagher type. Al it’s doing is helping to completely unbalance the side at the expense of probably our most talented player. That left side looked nonexistent last night but wait until we play a good team that attacks us down there.

I'd honestly pick Gallagher ahead of Arnold if we stick with this system of Foden left and Bellingham 10.

Rice has to stay disciplined in his England role, so I think the midfield would benefit more from a gallagher type next to him, he's someone with enough energy to get you moving up the pitch.

Arnold doesn't do that, he only offers long range punts, 90% of which never find their target. I think Gallagher would at least bridge the gap better between Rice and the forwards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hyping up Gallagher, he's certainly nothing special but for a team to function I think he would serve the team better than Arnold. Arnold is a luxury/wasteful player that we can't afford to have in midfield.

The reality is neither Gallagher or Arnold should be starting. Bellingham should drop a bit deeper as an "8" and Foden goes in his position but Waistcoat hasn't got the nutsack to tell Bellingham to play that role, even though he did for Dortmund.

Your last paragraph is spot on. However, what was the problem back then? Shoehorning players in who weren’t suited to the position they played and a rigid formation. Scholes stuck on the left is the same thing we’re seeing now with Phil.
All due respect but great players play in any position.

I do think we as a nation over rate our players so much.

Foden matured incredibly this season, he was magnificent but so far for England's that's not the case, but does he have the same quality of players around him for the National team?

We all know the answer to that

Unpopular opinion: but I see Bellingham in his current guise as part of the problem, not the solution. He's just the twisted love child of Bryan Robson & Gerrard.
Robson in the 80s world cups was all over the show, box to box, (even scoring one of the quickest WC goals etc) and the media constantly rating him 9/10 or 10/10.
The problem was, the team was struggling, with the likes of Hoddle having to plug the gaping holes left in midfield by Robson and not allowed to play his natural game.
It was only after fortuitous injuries to Robson, and the intro of Reid and Wilkins that England started to look like a team.
Roll on the years and the same happened with Gerrard. All over show and never where he should be, and the team always looking unbalanced, to accommodate him.
Bellingham seems to be exactly the same, constantly encroaching into other players positions hindering their game, no discipline or positional awareness, causing chaos within the team, and then the team lose any semblance of control once his energy levels drop.
And now the media are also championing him as our great hope.
Would Pep give him as much free reign as Southgate? Not a chance, he would reign him in like he did with Grealish for the betterment of the team.
Unless England get a decent manager like Pep, we've got another 12+ years of this shit to come.
Posted in the England Euro squad thread but thought I'd add it here as well

Absolutely no shape to that team whatsoever.
I thought it was 3 5 2 for the first 10 minutes which worked perfectly (and actually suited the players on the pitch) then Foden moved to the left and stopped wondering and it ended up being 4 5 1 for the rest of the match. so no surprises that Kane was isolated and Foden not at his best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.