Serbia v England - Sun 16th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You’re right he won’t get moved. So there lies the problem. You have a midfielder alongside Rice who’s not up to it whoever you pick. Your most talented player in Foden completely wasted to the point he’ll probably end up losing his place as the tournament goes on. An absolutely unbalanced team with nothing down the left.

It was obvious once he left Grealish out that Foden would be in his worst position and the team would lack balance. This moron in charge as had over a year to plan for this.

If he was set on playing such a deep defensive line he needs the odd ball carrier in that team. Grealish would have done that job for him all day, got him up the pitch and win fouls…then we could lob the ball in for the big lad to score - which is about Southgates coaching level. Foden was the only one I remember doing it with any success (once). It makes his decision to leave Grealish out even more bizarre.

Based on what I saw last night it appears Southgate is, having picked an unbalanced team, just relying on the players to figure it out.

All due respect but great players play in any position.

I do think we as a nation over rate our players so much.

Foden matured incredibly this season, he was magnificent but so far for England's that's not the case, but does he have the same quality of players around him for the National team?

We all know the answer to that
That’s not true though because as we’ve seen with City it’s all about balance in a side. Players have different attributes and some don’t have the physical ability to play wide. Phil has a wand of a left foot but a pretty average at best right. He can’t cut in the same from the left and hit rockets with his right the way he can with his left. He also (apart from that covid spell when he had a sprint coach) doesn’t have real pace to leave quick fullbacks for dead over a distance from the left to go on the outside.

Are you saying Scholes wasn’t a great player because he couldn’t play left wing effectively?

That’s not true though because as we’ve seen with City it’s all about balance in a side. Players have different attributes and some don’t have the physical ability to play wide. Phil has a wand of a left foot but a pretty average at best right. He can’t cut in the same from the left and hit rockets with his right the way he can with his left. He also (apart from that covid spell when he had a sprint coach) doesn’t have real pace to leave quick fullbacks for dead over a distance from the left to go on the outside.

Are you saying Scholes wasn’t a great player because he couldn’t play left wing effectively?
You know what, I don't give a sh1t about England, Spain, Portugal , etc.

I wish they were all knocked out ASAP and our players this time next week were booking a long summer holiday, international football is painful.

All due respect but great players play in any position.

I do think we as a nation over rate our players so much.

Foden matured incredibly this season, he was magnificent but so far for England's that's not the case, but does he have the same quality of players around him for the National team?

We all know the answer to that

I don't think it's just case of him not having the same players around him.

Its certainly a factor though. Last night you could see him making little runs into spaces but nobody puts the ball into him. For city they would because they're well coached and have the ability and confidence they can play the ball into him between the lines and he can take it.

Even so, he was poor at times last night, a few awful passes that you would never expect from him.

Quality players like him should still be making their mark in these events. Tactically things may not be completely ideal to get the very best out of him, but it's still a game of football you're going to get opportunities to show your class or you still have to impose yourself on the game and he definitely didn't last night.

If he was set on playing such a deep defensive line he needs the odd ball carrier in that team. Grealish would have done that job for him all day, got him up the pitch and win fouls…then we could lob the ball in for the big lad to score - which is about Southgates coaching level. Foden was the only one I remember doing it with any success (once). It makes his decision to leave Grealish out even more bizarre.

Based on what I saw last night it appears Southgate is, having picked an unbalanced team, just relying on the players to figure it out.

Surely Southgate should be road testing systems in the friendlies leading up to the Euros not in the first game. Some of those players who didn’t go must be well pissed off we started a game with three right backs instead of taking players who can actually play in those positions. His man management of players seems to be lacking and is breaking the trust of players omitted and also now playing with his bizarre tactics.

One take away from last night we are very lucky we get to see City play like they do week in week out. Last night was boring tedious stuff, hopefully Southgate ends up at Old Trafford.

Probably, because from all the evidence we have seen from him, he hasn't got a fucking clue about how to go about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.