Settle an argument...

kiam06 said:
7 pages for this..... It was offside, it worries me that some people on here think it was onside. If you play the ball forward to anybody ahead of the last defender they are OFF!!

Not hard is it?
NO!! It's nothing to do with the direction the ball is played, it's where the receiving player is positioned when the ball is played. As long as he's not ahead of the man passing the ball he's onside regardless of where the opponents are.

lancs blue said:
kiam06 said:
7 pages for this..... It was offside, it worries me that some people on here think it was onside. If you play the ball forward to anybody ahead of the last defender they are OFF!!

Not hard is it?
NO!! It's nothing to do with the direction the ball is played, it's where the receiving player is positioned when the ball is played. As long as he's not ahead of the man passing the ball he's onside regardless of where the opponents are.

Correct...as long as the receiveing player IS BEHIND THE BALL when its played he is ONSIDE.

levets said:
kiam06 said:

Not hard is it?

No No NO.... passing forward has nothing to do with it....

refer to Cruyff penalty above.
Whilst I'm fully with you on this one, the Cruyff penalty is irrelevant in this particular case as the second attacker had at least two players between him and the goal when the first (forward) pass was made, and the second pass was backwards.

Citytillidie69 said:
lancs blue said:

Correct...as long as the receiveing player IS BEHIND THE BALL when its played he is ONSIDE.

Don't know about that lads, I thought if you play the ball forward and the man who eventually picks it up was ahead of last defender when it was played he is offside.

Dubai Blue said:
levets said:
No No NO.... passing forward has nothing to do with it....

refer to Cruyff penalty above.
Whilst I'm fully with you on this one, the Cruyff penalty is irrelevant in this particular case as the second attacker had at least two players between him and the goal when the first (forward) pass was made, and the second pass was backwards.

Looks slightly forward to me? (BUT.. the point is Cruyff is behind), But I haven't got my specs on!!!

levets said:
Dubai Blue said:

Looks slightly forward to me? (BUT.. the point is Cruyff is behind), But I haven't got my specs on!!!
You're right, it probably did go forward slightly.

Therefore he was offside.

Joking.

I think you might be right about being in front of the ball but I have seen offside given when the player has been behind and runs on to it, typical fifa nonsense but this sort of explains it all.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A733600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A733600</a>

kiam06 said:
I think you might be right about being in front of the ball but I have seen offside given when the player has been behind and runs on to it, typical fifa nonsense but this sort of explains it all.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A733600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A733600</a>
And the key line from that article in reference to this particular scenario is:
Without the offside rule, there is nothing to stop players standing in front of the rival goal, and waiting for the ball. It forces them to get behind the ball, and build up an attack. It is also one reason for the low scores of football matches.

Dubai Blue said:
kiam06 said:

And the key line from that article in reference to this particular scenario is:
Without the offside rule, there is nothing to stop players standing in front of the rival goal, and waiting for the ball. It forces them to get behind the ball, and build up an attack. It is also one reason for the low scores of football matches.

Still as the ref gave in the OP I have seen offside given in many games in the same scenario so something is wrong then somewhere.

masterwig said:
fbloke said:
1. You can only be offside to a forward pass. So if the ball is pulled back you can never be offside.

Not true.

If the ball is pulled back and you run back from an offside position when the ball is hit to retrieve it then you are offside.

The direction the ball travels in has no bearing on whether a person is offside or not.

If they are closer to the opponent's goal-line than the ball and the second last opponent when the pass is played they are offside. That is regardless of whether the pass goes backwards or forwards.

The example you give isnt strictly true.

A player can be in an offside (more advanced than the minimum 2 defending players) position when a ball is played forward and play can continue if he remains 'inactive'. If an onside player from his team then plays the ball back he is no longer offside and is allowed to be active and collect the ball.

If however the initial forward pas is NOT touched by another player of either side and he runs from an offside position he remains offside irrespective of the direction of his run.

The 3rd player involvement is key in that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.