Sevilla (H) | Post Match Thread

Disappointing first half, a lot of possession but an awful lot of side ways passing. There were times when Grealish was stood wide and unmarked but was ignored in favour of a central pass in a crowded midfield. Lewis's goal was great, a Bury lad too! He looked a very happy chappy, good seeing him and Wilson Esbrand share a hug at the end of the game. Alvarez did an awful lot of chasing down all game and really came into his own second half, two assists and a goal, a good nights work from him.

Enjoyed that. Pep was tinkering and trying stuff out for sure. Great to see Lewis getting a chance and taking it. Alvarez goal was excellent. Weird thing with Kev - looks essential at the moment but when he's been gone for periods in the recent past we've more than coped. Who is his heir?

The whole team in the zone second half. Which doesn't make sense, does it? It's irrational. A must win match in 3 days, Carabao Cup fixture follows, and another must win 3 days later. Of course Guardiola values momentum, the morale of the team is a serious factor. Match rhythme is also a consideration, so minutes for some seniors to maintain sharpness -and they responded amazingly. Jack was protected. Others, Julian, Ryiad etc, need to build on their form...

Even so, you would expect a more cautious approach. Players need to save energy. Erling is a doubt, for example, so Julian will probably start vs Fulham. You see, decision makers have left a team which is supposed to challenge on 4 fronts, with 2 forwards, both newcomers, both youngsters, 21-22 yo. We have been lucky with Erling, yes, but Julian needs more time. 3 midfielders ahead of the No 6 position, Rodri's alternative injured. 2 basic options on the flanks -and a player like Phil expected to provide cover for like 5 positions. And the less said regarding the full backs situation the better. It's not just that a player like Joao is already overplayed -which shows in his game. Joao and Kyle need to be challenged. I don't doubt their professionalism, I will never do for any member of this group. But it's human nature -if you understand what I mean. Other than that, as always, Guardiola will make the best from resources available. Using a CB as a full back, for example, he will emphasise on control and possession, keeping the pace of the match as low as possible, avoiding an open game, chaotic situations. The reasons are obvious:
a. The schedule is crazy, players need to be protected, otherwise they won't make it.
b. "We are not exceptional in terms of runners coming from behind", as he said following the Leicester match. We definitely are not, Pep, I agree. We fucking should be though. John, Manuel, will do their best, no complaints. However, 9.5 times out of 10, City are bound to face teams defending in numbers in a low block. We need creativity and contribution offensively from all 11 players to deal with this. As I said, we fucking should be exceptional on the above mentioned terms, yet we lack the resources. This is Manchester City, by the way. This is not Leicester, West Ham or Southampton -no disrespect meant...

Anyway. What I wrote in the first paragraph, combined with this team's winning mentality, cannot provide answers regarding that unbelievable second half performance. Something is still missing. In my humble opinion, it's what Peter O'Toole's character says in D. Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia", interpreting the motive behind the attitude of Anthony Quinn's character: A matter of pleasure...

You see, only players who enjoy their football, enjoy being part of such a project, participating and contributing to this particular brand of football, can behave like this. Fulham? They forgot about them, if you ask me. They are indeed lucky being members of this TEAM, absolutely. And we are lucky with them. The rhythme was mental during second half, Sevilla players kept fighting for their lives basically to avoid humiliation (this is the CL after all, people were watching...), yet could not possibly cope with the circumstances: City's cohesion, chemistry, team spirit, passion, desire etc, are simply on another level. And Pep, as always, will keep introducing new tactical ideas...

No other tean in the planet respects an audience the way City do. Fact. People who were there, the millions who watched it from their living rooms, they all enjoyed a wonderful evening...

Sign the fucking extention Pep. City are growing day by day, attracting new fans. People who love football simply cannot resist. What you have already achieved is beyond exceptional, it's unfathomable -and I have explained why numerous times. But this is a process. You are still building -and it's special. As Rodri said recently, you have to be here, otherwise it doesn't make sense. All your players agree, take my word for it. Those with reservations (or should I say, those who had other priorities) have already left...

Last edited:
Forgettable first half but huge improvement in the second half , we quickened the passing and pace and Seville couldnt live with us , nearly every team we play just set up to keep the score down , park the bus teams are a bind and can be frustrating , but its self preservation for most opposing teams, they know if they come and attack they will get hammered
it's not just the parking of the bus it's tacking turns to be injured whats that all about it's time the refs got a grip and get them off the pitch the no straight return when game restarts

The whole team in the zone second half. Which doesn't make sense, does it? It's irrational. A must win match in 3 days, Carabao Cup fixture follows, and another must win 3 days later. Of course Guardiola values momentum, the morale of the team is a serious factor. Match rhythme is also a consideration, so minutes for some seniors to maintain sharpness -and they responded amazingly. Jack was protected. Others, Julian, Ryiad etc, need to build on their form...

Even so, you would expect a more cautious approach. Players need to save energy. Erling is a doubt, for example, so Julian will probably start vs Fulham. You see, decision makers have left a team which is supposed to challenge on 4 fronts, with 2 forwards, both newcomers, both youngsters, 21-22 yo. We have been lucky with Erling, yes, but Julian needs more time. 3 midfielders ahead of the No 6 position, Rodri's alternative injured. 2 basic options on the flanks -and a player like Phil expected to provide cover for like 5 positions. And the less said regarding the full backs situation the better. It's not just that a player like Joao is already overplayed -which shows in his game. Joao and Kyle need to be challenged. I don't doubt their professionalism, I will never do for any member of this group. But it's human nature -if you understand what I mean. Other than that, as always, Guardiola will make the best from resources available. Using a CB as a full back, for example, he will emphasise on control and possession, keeping the pace of the match as low as possible, avoiding an open game, chaotic situations. The reasons are obvious:
a. The schedule is crazy, players need to be protected, otherwise they won't make it.
b. "We are now exceptional in terms of runners coming from behind", as he said following the Leicester match. We definitely are not, Pep, I agree. We fucking should be though. John, Manuel, will do their best, no complaints. However, 9.5 times out of 10, City are bound to face teams defending in numbers in a low block. We need creativity and contribution offensively from all 11 players to deal with this. As I said, we fucking should be exceptional on the above mentioned terms, yet we lack the resources. This is Manchester City, by the way. This is not Leicester, West Ham or Southampton -no disrespect meant...

Anyway. What I wrote in the first paragraph, combined with this team's winning mentality, cannot provide answers regarding that unbelievable second half performance. Something is still missing. In my humble opinion, it's what Peter O'Toole's character says in D. Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia", interpreting the motive behind the attitude of Anthony Quinn's character: A matter of pleasure...

You see, only players who enjoy their football, enjoy being part of such a project, participating and contributing to this particular brand of football, can behave like this. Fulham? They forgot about them, if you ask me. They are indeed lucky being members of this TEAM, absolutely. And we are lucky with them. The rhythme was mental during second half, Sevilla players kept fighting for their lives basically to avoid humiliation (this is the CL after all, people were watching...), yet could not possibly cope with the circumstances: City's cohesion, chemistry, team spirit, passion, desire etc, are simply on another level. And Pep, as always, will keep introducing new tactical ideas...

No other tean in the planet respects an audience the way City do. Fact. People who were there, the millions who watched it from their living rooms, they all enjoyed a wonderful evening...

Sign the fucking extention Pep. City are growing day by day, attracting new fans. People who love football simply cannot resist. What you have already achieved is beyond exceptional, it's unfathomable -and I have explained why numerous times. But this is a process. You are still building -and it's special. As Rodri said recently, you have to be here, otherwise it doesn't make sense. All your players agree, take my word for it. Those with reservations (or should I say, those who had other priorities) have already left...
Good dissertation, A+

b. "We are now exceptional in terms of runners coming from behind", as he said following the Leicester match. We definitely are not, Pep, I agree. We fucking should be though. John, Manuel, will do their best, no complaints. However, 9.5 times out of 10, City are bound to face teams defending in numbers in a low block. We need creativity and contribution offensively from all 11 players to deal with this. As I said, we fucking should be exceptional on the above mentioned terms, yet we lack the resources. This is Manchester City, by the way. This is not Leicester, West Ham or Southampton -no disrespect meant...

Lay off the adderall, pal.

Only joking ;)

Bizarre first half,just fucking potty.

Thankfully the boss decided to stop fucking about 2nd half,square pegs in mostly square holes,and what do you know.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.