Shamima Begum

Unicef defines a child associated with an armed group (formerly called a child soldier) as "any person under 18 years of age who is or who has been recruited or used by an armed force or armed group in any capacity, including but not limited to… fighters, cooks, porters, messengers, spies or for sexual purposes."

By December 2017 ISIS had basically collapsed. Begum was still under 18 at that point. Considering the limited time that she could have spent in ISIS controlled territory over the age of 18 it is difficult to see her being guilty of any crime in a court.
Not sure if a UNICEF definition will override the operation of English statute, otherwise any 17 year old could join a terrorist organisation carte blanche.

Firstly, she would have to formally admit associating with and assisting a proscribed terrorist organisation. On that basis (and this really is a finger in the air job) I would say (on the basis of her serving two thirds of her sentence) somewhere in the order of 25-30 years, would severely punish her, take her youth from her, serve as a deterrent to others, but still give her the opportunity to contribute positively to society and live a significant proportion of her life beyond being released.

I might be mistaken but isn't the maximum sentence 10 years for that? I think they'd be better off being tried for high treason (maximum life imprisonment) although whether the evidence stands up in court is a different matter.

Personally, I'd rather we just direct foreign aid to the Kurds to trial her there first before the UK get into any legal battles about her citizenship.

It’s hysterical defending this person.

No one is defending her. Just not inclined to join in the ‘a hundred ways I would personally like to murder her’ athon.

It’s possible that I am being too nuanced but not wishing to murder her doesn’t automatically equate to a proposal of marriage.

I think she needs electrocution via radio accidentally falling into a bath.

Or, offered a free job as a TV aerial repair bloke and then send her out in the next storm.

Just trying to think of ways in which she hasn't been murdered on here yet....

I might be mistaken but isn't the maximum sentence 10 years for that? I think they'd be better off being tried for high treason (maximum life imprisonment) although whether the evidence stands up in court is a different matter.

Personally, I'd rather we just direct foreign aid to the Kurds to trial her there first before the UK get into any legal battles about her citizenship.
It might be, I didn’t look it up. Assumed it would be life. Like I suggested, she’d have to plea to an offence with sufficient sentencing powers. Treason might fit the bill, although that might prove to be complicated if they’ve revoked her citizenship. There’s plenty of common law offences out there; I’m sure some silk who’s (even) smarter than me can conjure something up!

Not sure if a UNICEF definition will override the operation of English statute, otherwise any 17 year old could join a terrorist organisation carte blanche.

If they are going to try her for specific crimes the UK would need to produce (as you intimated earlier) evidence. If they try to convict on a more general "being a member of..." or "collaborating with..." charge they would need to show that her actions after she entered Syria were voluntary. Eve if she travelled to Syria voluntarily, ISIS being what it was, it would be very difficult to prove beyond doubt that there was no coercion, especially considering her age and the definition I quoted above.

No one is defending her. Just not inclined to join in the ‘a hundred ways I would personally like to murder her’ athon.

It’s possible that I am being too nuanced but not wishing to murder her doesn’t automatically equate to a proposal of marriage.

Capital punishment isn’t murder in my opinion but that’s another thread.

People are defending her, we’ve literally had someone on this thread insinuating she was too young to know what she was doing.

At 19 I reckon you’ve got a pretty good idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.