Shamima Begum

Because she's British. She was born in Britain and is a British national. That's not to say anything positive or negative about her, it's just a simple fact. She might be guilty of any number of crimes, and morally reprehensible in any number of ways, but that's not the point.

This is the key point - she had British citizenship until it was removed and made her stateless, breaking international law.
She has no right to Dutch citizenship. Bangladesh had already said she wouldn't get Bangladeshi citizenship.

There shouldn't be any grey area on what the legal point is about.

The court accepted that in this instance they did, because of Begum foolishly renouncing her own citizenship and destorying her UK passport. If the UK Home Secretary decided to do this on a whim with any British citizen, that quite clearly contravened international human rights laws, they could theoretically still do it, but in the case of Begum, the UK would receive international CONDEMNATION for the action. Not so in this case, because no human rights laws have been broken.
Well opinion is divided on that point. Devyani Prabhat, professor of law at the University of Bristol: “From a human rights perspective, this is a very disappointing decision as it seems to offer complete and whole discretion to the home secretary and has an unsatisfying view on fair trial rights and how people can be kept ‘in limbo.’"
But I accept we aren't going to change each other's minds at this point.

Well opinion is divided on that point. Devyani Prabhat, professor of law at the University of Bristol: “From a human rights perspective, this is a very disappointing decision as it seems to offer complete and whole discretion to the home secretary and has an unsatisfying view on fair trial rights and how people can be kept ‘in limbo.’"
"from a human rights perpective" here having the meaning of fee-fees being hurt.

No human rights laws have been broken. How many times. HAD the UK government broken international HRL's in order to get Begum's British citizenship revoked, then yes i'd be infuriated with the actions of the previous and current Home Secretaries.

They haven't, so I don't empathise with Begum's situation (that she wholly caused herself by her own actions and intentions)

It is certainly against international law to make someone stateless, and as I'm guessing we don't recognise the Islamic state as legit, then we can't really argue she has IS citizenship. I fear the young lady has fallen foul of the little known 'chat shit, get banged' provision in UK law, and the home sec has made the slightly cynical calculation that keeping Begum out is less politically damaging domestically than letting her in. I also suspect that sadly (for Begum) she is being made something of an example to stand as a cautionary tale to other would be UK IS recruits.

It is certainly against international law to make someone stateless, and as I'm guessing we don't recognise the Islamic state as legit, then we can't really argue she has IS citizenship. I fear the young lady has fallen foul of the little known 'chat shit, get banged' provision in UK law, and the home sec has made the slightly cynical calculation that keeping Begum out is less politically damaging domestically than letting her in. I also suspect that sadly (for Begum) she is being made something of an example to stand as a cautionary tale to other would be UK IS recruits.
The irony is that there are hundreds of British citizens who went to fight for IS who have been allowed back in Britain to face terrorism charges and/or monitoring by MI5. It's not clear to me why an exception is being made for her, other than her high media profile. It's 'chat shit, get banged,' as you say.

Then there's the side that think she's not to blame for her actions...

There is clearly an argument for repatriation and rehabilitation, particularly if we wish to maintain the moral high ground and show we are 'better' than the brutal IS regime. There is however an equally strong argument to fuck her off to rot forever in a camp/Syrian ghetto as a deterrent to others. These young girls are duped on social media into making that journey, and having one crying about how shit the caliphate is and bleating to cone home all the time provides a powerful counternarrative.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.