Should Lescott get a new contract?

gooner2 said:
Neville Kneville said:
Depends if we have someone lined up for his job who is better.

We can see right now, how important it is to have quality options at centre back, even if it appears everything is covered.

Imagine we had to go away in the Champions League & win, let's say at Galatasaray or let's say Celtic. Someone has to stand up & be counted in all kinds of atmosphere, against all kinds of situations, against different types of players, possibly a big centre forward one game., then a small tricky Aguero type the next, & you fuck Lesccott off, & replace him with, for instance, Rekik ?

Smalling, Jones, Evans & even Carrick, are way way ahead of someone like Rekik, & I doubt we would feel comfortable with any of those.

If a kid is to replace Lescott, then we have to see that kid in action against the kind of opposition we will face in a title/european challenge.

Any of you who claim you have seen Rekik, or any other of our young defenders, show the kind of quality/strength/bottle we require to challege for trophies, is lying like fuck.

You are guessing, & hoping it happens so you can say 'I told you so'. Load of bollocks.

We need to sign a centre back if we let Lescott go, & any kids that come through can do so naturally, over time, when they deserve it.

agree 100$. you got to keep lescott untill you find a experienced world class center half to replace him. he still a good player in my view

Imo, if your lot had kept the kind of 'old school' defending, you had from Don Howe's organisation, on through Wenger's successful years, the rags would have a lot less titles. I recon Wenger went that one step too far, & lost the proper Arsenal defence.

Adams & Co passed that on to several generations, even Kolo still had some of the old drill, but then it eventually wore off.

Quite a few of our fans seem desperate to discard proper defenders for people who can pass the ball a bit better, like Arsenal have done in recent times.

Imo, if we had the old Arsenal defence in our team now, we would be a lot better than if we had Barca's current defence, & we'd still pass the ball just fine.

Neville Kneville said:
Dax777 said:
Forget what City wants! What does Lescott want? From what I have read from him. He wants to be a starter, and he'd like a chance at making the World Cup. None of the above can be achieved playing for City. If I am reading this right, Big Les will be heading out in January.

So City will either be getting a CD or going with Boyata.

What a bizarre interpretation of what Lescott said.

Daily Star by any chance ?
I am not interpreting what he said. I'm reading btw the lines.

Dax777 said:
Forget what City wants! What does Lescott want? From what I have read from him. He wants to be a starter, and he'd like a chance at making the World Cup. None of the above can be achieved playing for City. If I am reading this right, Big Les will be heading out in January.

So City will either be getting a CD or going with Boyata.

Should get Ramos & just incase he gets injured Pique & just in case he gets injured Thiago Silva ....
Not smitten on Boyata but he's shown glimpses in the past I'd stick with him, I'd chose him over Lescott now. I'd like to think Kompany & Nasty won't continue to go threw the season collecting injuries at every opportunity so he'd be fourth choice mostly. If there's a signing it will be someone under the age of 23. Sorry FIFA lovers.

Neville I agree with your last post but Lescott wouldn't get anywhere near that Arsenal defense, to be fair few would. Lescott may be a 'proper defender' but only a better than average one that's quickly becoming average.

He has a chance now to prove himself but i think pellers has already decided.Bad form from the club to have said nothing to him,he was one of the reasons we won the title so he deserves to be told where he stands one way or the other

We shouldn't be giving contracts on past performances, so while I will always appreciate Lescott for being part of our title winning season, he hasn't done enough for me to warrant a new contract since. He's 31 and I think time for some new blood.

He'll be gone in Jan, been decent enough for us over the years but nowhere near the quality we require going forward.

A top drawer CB will be high on our list in the window, due to Vinny's injury woes, and Demichelis will be our "older" stand-in.

VK, Nasty, AN Other & Martin will be our way forward.

Rammy Blue said:
He'll be gone in Jan, been decent enough for us over the years but nowhere near the quality we require going forward.

A top drawer CB will be high on our list in the window, due to Vinny's injury woes, and Demichelis will be our "older" stand-in.

VK, Nasty, AN Other & Martin will be our way forward.

This

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.