Should this whiny woman I know be allowed to go on holiday?

Should people on benefits be allowed abroad?

LittleStan said:
mackenzie said:

They still don't pay benefits for this one either.

quote]
Yes we can. Last time I looked at our guidance we could anyway.

I was docked for going to an interview in Ireland, I was also 'sanctioned' for going to an interview that I got very little notice over. The sanction then meant I had not been signing on for 26 weeks and was not entitled to the back to work grant when I signed off. Regardless of not missing a date in the previous 16 months and showing my job search religiously every sign on date whether they wanted to see it or not.

-- Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 pm --

exileindevon said:
LittleStan said:
How many? Do the maths and we could live for free the rest of our lives.
lets just see what the doctor says about male pregnancy first stan. i may be able to manage one.ive heard its a bit painful

pah. Don't listen to these wimmin about the pain.they would not have a chance with manflu.

What part of Ireland? Northern or Eire?
Pm me.

Re: Should people on benefits be allowed abroad?

Or to paraphrase; should people from abroad be allowed on benefits?
See what I done there?
Spot the daily Mail readers comments; "no they fucking shouldn't they should all fucking die" etc etc.
My answer is people should be free to do what they like everywhere.

The key thing about benefits, what really matters, is the overriding functions that they serve.

Firstly, they serve as a safety net in a wealthy, advanced society, which says that : today, in our society, no-one should go to bed hungry. Failing to see how anyone can object to that.

Secondly, they act as a force to maintain civil order. It keeps people above a certain level, which if were that not to be the case they would be out on the street rioting or in your home stealing your television. Again, I cannot imagine seriously suggesting that the alternative would be an improvement.

They also act as a reflection on our putative civilised values as a society. I am talking especially with regards to the disabled. A ethos which says: we, as a society, want to try to ensure that you have a little dignity in your lives. Anyone disagree with that? Thought not.

Outside those principles is the fact that human nature being what it is, some people will always try and cheat the system. You ain't going to change human nature. All you can do is your best to contain its tendency to be dishonest. The system we currently have broadly does this. There will always be examples of people who get round it. Plus ca change.

The benefit system is there for a reason and it's there to stay.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
The key thing about benefits, what really matters, is the overriding functions that they serve.

Firstly, they serve as a safety net in a wealthy, advanced society, which says that : today, in our society, no-one should go to bed hungry. Failing to see how anyone can object to that.

Secondly, they act as a force to maintain civil order. It keeps people above a certain level, which if were that not to be the case they would be out on the street rioting or in your home stealing your television. Again, I cannot imagine seriously suggesting that the alternative would be an improvement.

They also act as a reflection on our putative civilised values as a society. I am talking especially with regards to the disabled. A ethos which says: we, as a society, want to try to ensure that you have a little dignity in your lives. Anyone disagree with that? Thought not.

Outside those principles is the fact that human nature being what it is, some people will always try and cheat the system. You ain't going to change human nature. All you can do is your best to contain its tendency to be dishonest. The system we currently have broadly does this. There will always be examples of people who get round it. Plus ca change.

Eloquently put.

well said. Your points also cover comments earlier in the thread regarding poverty.

In our society there is 'relative' poverty. i.e. in the example of civil disobedience the 'acceptable' standard of living is much higher than say a third world country, if we had those levels here there would be riots.

I think some posters would be happy to see the unemployed drop to extreme poverty levels of less than $2 a day.

Great post GDM

I believe the only way to stop benefit fraud is to stop benefits, which is of course like banning driving because some people drink and drive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.