Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

Can’t say I’d be particularly bothered if they never did another minutes silence or applause ever again for anyone.

But it’s not like their nicking a minute of football off us for it. Just sit their and read the programme or whatever you’d normally do for the last minute before kick off.

Not really something I can ever imagine getting worked up about.
One positive of all these tributes is that the overexcited plastic manc dickhead who introduces the teams has to keep quiet for a minute.

I’d never condone violence but if he got beheaded it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing

Where it starts to get silly is like the weekend just past. I’m not commenting either way about any of the “causes” for want of a better expression. A minutes silence for Gaza, a minute’s applause for Franny and take the knee for George Floyd. We’re not far off the players doing The Hokey Cokey, Birdie Song or Simon Says.
Israel and Gaza is first and foremost a catastrophe in terms of the loss of human life irrespective of deeply held feelings on both sides. There will be a lot of people in Manchester grieving or badly affected, worried about what's going on. I doubt there was any other scenario where 50,000 people are all gathered together. I'm sorry if you think just trying to empathise for just 1 minute is a waste of time.

Take tue knee quickly before Kick Off to show support against racism and discrimination and wind to the gammons.

Scrap everything else.

Racism isn't a one way street and stop using the term gammon it's childish.

A majority of hate crime offenders (66%) were White

66%, considering that white people make up 82% of the population non white people make up for the shortfall.

I am saying it's use is childish, it's used all the time.

Can you name a black gammon?

Probably that pretend vicar who GBNews just sacked would fit the bill. Although I’m not entirely sure exactly what a gammon is, so I couldn’t be sure.

The whole idea of politics out of football was to prevent this. To allow the public to forget the troubles outside, bond with one another regardless of anything else as long as they supported "your team". But it seems that now, since football has a woldwide platform they must pay respects to any and all conflicts, tragiedies, social issues and political issues, under a vague threat where the punishment is fluid and depends on how vocal the outcry is. The showponies are trotted out to the middle of a field and do whatever they're told to, to take whatever action deemed appropriate and approved. Then, and only then can they do what they're employed to do and what we're all there to watch.

And so the dance goes on. People will cry "it's only a minute, how uncaring of you" and others will cry "fuck off I don't care about such and such"
But everyone misses the point. Why are there no escapes from life any more? As a society why have we decided that we must constantly be aware of every microcosm of suffering going on everywhere?
Everyone knows the world is fucking shit, everyone knows horrible things go one every minute, everyone knows people less fortunate that ourselves have it worse but the fact of the matter is a minute before a football game of clapping, a minute of silence, diping to take the knee does nothing. The people that don't care get annoyed, the people that do care get annoyed. Who wins? No-one. It just serves to drive more anger in society and furthers the gap between You and Them.

Mourning, respect and protests are all important, but there must be a better way?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.