Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

Where it starts to get silly is like the weekend just past. I’m not commenting either way about any of the “causes” for want of a better expression. A minutes silence for Gaza, a minute’s applause for Franny and take the knee for George Floyd. We’re not far off the players doing The Hokey Cokey, Birdie Song or Simon Says.

I think Bobby Charlton is a special case he helped win us a world cup. All them legends deserved an applause/silence

I do agree we should keep it to our own for eveything else. 50 years down the road I don't expect Chelsea fans to do a minutes silence for Ledley, just like I don't think we would want to for John Terry. It's just the way it is
If we were playing at home this weekend to say, fulham or wolves, I would not expect us to have a minutes silence for him, as it has nowt to do with either club. 66 isn't a reason as I can't recall the one for George Cohen or Ray Wilson

and 15 years ago if this was the case there wouldn't be one

Where it starts to get silly is like the weekend just past. I’m not commenting either way about any of the “causes” for want of a better expression. A minutes silence for Gaza, a minute’s applause for Franny and take the knee for George Floyd. We’re not far off the players doing The Hokey Cokey, Birdie Song or Simon Says.
that made me chuckle

They’ll have a minutes silence tonight so I cannot see the point in another one on Sunday. Oh wait it’s the rags they will milk it for all they can and I would not be surprised to see it every year, their very own Remembrance Day added to the Munich one
It’s an applause on Sunday

Utd fans have been sent a message saying a silence tonight and applause on Sunday

All being well they will be quiet for the next 90 mins as we take the piss

That will come eventually.

Indeed. Saturday was weird, it was like it was all a big joke.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh
Clap
Take a knee
SUPERMAN

Last edited by a moderator:
But City only wore black armbands in the second half !

I know it was bizarre, did they forget to put them on for Franny ?

Someone said the black armbands were for the Israel/ Gaza so not for Francis Lee
I wondered if they decided to only wear them in the second half to show it was for Franny alone rather than for the Israel/Gaza. The I/G had its minutes silence and the club might have thought so that everyone could see we honoured Franny.
Just a thought I had. Hope that makes sense. It did in my head but ….

I've got to say, as someone who is as "woke" as they come, the generalized minute's silence for both Israel/Palestine transitioning into a minute's applause for a former player transitioning into a taking of the knee for an abstracted anti-racism was one of the weirdest and most absurd things I've seen at a football match.
Decent warm up though.

Can’t say I’d be particularly bothered if they never did another minutes silence or applause ever again for anyone.

But it’s not like their nicking a minute of football off us for it. Just sit their and read the programme or whatever you’d normally do for the last minute before kick off.

Not really something I can ever imagine getting worked up about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.