Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

I know it was Premier League led but not sure why we had a minutes silence for Israel/Gaza and not for Ukraine.

We’re entering the busiest time of the year for minutes silences now with Remembrance Day and the end of year club remembrance.

It used to be a minutes silence on the weekend of remembrance and that was it but it’s crept in the last few years of clubs doing it a week before if they were away the next week.

The whole idea of politics out of football was to prevent this. To allow the public to forget the troubles outside, bond with one another regardless of anything else as long as they supported "your team". But it seems that now, since football has a woldwide platform they must pay respects to any and all conflicts, tragiedies, social issues and political issues, under a vague threat where the punishment is fluid and depends on how vocal the outcry is. The showponies are trotted out to the middle of a field and do whatever they're told to, to take whatever action deemed appropriate and approved. Then, and only then can they do what they're employed to do and what we're all there to watch.

And so the dance goes on. People will cry "it's only a minute, how uncaring of you" and others will cry "fuck off I don't care about such and such"
But everyone misses the point. Why are there no escapes from life any more? As a society why have we decided that we must constantly be aware of every microcosm of suffering going on everywhere?
Everyone knows the world is fucking shit, everyone knows horrible things go one every minute, everyone knows people less fortunate that ourselves have it worse but the fact of the matter is a minute before a football game of clapping, a minute of silence, diping to take the knee does nothing. The people that don't care get annoyed, the people that do care get annoyed. Who wins? No-one. It just serves to drive more anger in society and furthers the gap between You and Them.

Mourning, respect and protests are all important, but there must be a better way?
I'm not saying absolutely remove politics from football is a good thing (or even possible), but you have a very interesting point.

This is reminding me of when Hillsborough anniversary in 2014 against us at Anfield and for about 3 more weeks Rodgers wore a black armband.

I know it was Premier League led but not sure why we had a minutes silence for Israel/Gaza and not for Ukraine.

We’re entering the busiest time of the year for minutes silences now with Remembrance Day and the end of year club remembrance.

It used to be a minutes silence on the weekend of remembrance and that was it but it’s crept in the last few years of clubs doing it a week before if they were away the next week.
If a club hasn't found a reason for a minutes silence these days - then their PR department is doing something wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.