Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

Why even Remembrance Sunday? If you want to observe the 2 minutes silence you can do that at 11am on the appropriate Sunday.

It's got no more to do with football (and I speak as someone whose grandfather fought in the trenches and told me horrific stories about those events) than Israel/Gaza or natural disasters thousands of miles away.
Agreed, and my grandad also served in the trenches and died from the long-term effects of being gassed 16 years before I was born. Post Diana, silences seem to have become some sort of quasi-religious ritual.

Someone said the black armbands were for the Israel/ Gaza so not for Francis Lee

Got that from here. Was looking specifically for the Spurs v Fulham reason, but it mentions "joining other Premier League clubs". Suppose it doesn't state it was a PL directive though.

Never used to be from what I remember. It seems to be a relatively recent thing. Started off as just 2 minutes silence then turned into military personnel, wreath laying and the Last Post.
It’s hard to find a definitive answer on when the first one was, but I’ve seen a couple of websites use 1994 as the first year it was introduced.

Perhaps @Gary James might know?

If there is anybody on this forum, or any City supporter out there, who cannot separate the tribal rivalry(I fucking hate united) from the death of a human being & the devastation it brings to family & friends, then I'm sorry I would not want to share a drink with that person.

Agreed, and my grandad also served in the trenches and died from the long-term effects of being gassed 16 years before I was born. Post Diana, silences seem to have become some sort of quasi-religious ritual.

The relevance has been taken from any minutes silence because we have them for anything, add the minutes clapping and the clapping while the match goes on for other certain things and we have got a mindless cacophony of clubs trying to virtue signal their fans to death.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.