So Nastasic then...

Has to stay he has the makings of a brilliant defender. Last seasons injuries were his downfall. We played a more open game compared to last season. Also playing beside a Lescott and Demi when he first arrived it was always going to take time. He will learn from it and be stronger from it. I think him and Kompany will be our long term centre back pairings for years to come potentially our future captain.

karen7 said:
Not in the squad for the friendly with brazil on now.Injured still?

Was it not allegedly a psychological issue with Nasty ? Seem to remember Pellers alluding to the fact that we couldn't find anything physically wrong with him but the lad was still feeling substantial pain.

Davs 19 said:
karen7 said:
Not in the squad for the friendly with brazil on now.Injured still?

Was it not allegedly a psychological issue with Nasty ? Seem to remember Pellers alluding to the fact that we couldn't find anything physically wrong with him but the lad was still feeling substantial pain.

Yes it did seem like that,maybe it was agreed to give him a proper summer off,hope he is ok

has to be given the time to develop. I actually said he wasn't ready as he came to our club. I got pelters for it. as it happens he was and still is not quite there. no doubt he will get there but we can't be blooding players like him at Madrid away.

de niro said:
has to be given the time to develop. I actually said he wasn't ready as he came to our club. I got pelters for it. as it happens he was and still is not quite there. no doubt he will get there but we can't be blooding players like him at Madrid away.
Agree with this, I'd be tempted to loan him out to a PL side and get him some vital experience.

Assuming fitness of body (and mind) I'd honestly rather have Nasty than Mangala right now.

With centre-halves, you often will see the lights turn on - so to speak - at a bit of an advanced age as far as footballers go (i.e. Lovren last year.) Nasty was 19 and performed admirably at the highest of levels two seasons ago. The lights seemed to be coming on for our own guy while still a teenager.

In a world with no economic limitations - hell, just buy everyone, right? But given this temporary need to play nice with the UEFA twats I still can't wrap my head around the cost-benefit of buying Mangala at all.

Pellegrini wants us to defend on the front foot, pressuring high up the pitch with a high line. Whenever Nastasic attempts this, he gives away a stupid free kick. I don't think he'll get much of a look in whilst Pellegrini is our manager - he doesn't fit the way he wants us to defend. And since I hope Pellegrini says for a long time, I expect Nastasic to leave next summer. But that's football. Players come and players go.

what's all this then?

Matija Nastasic had such a good first season with Manchester City that he looked certain to become one of the Premier League's best central defenders for years to come. He only turned 21 years of age in March but the season previous he'd been excellent for Manchester City, the supporters took to him quickly and he was an example of the club doing good business in the transfer window rather than throwing silly money around.

It was all set up for Nastasic to go on and prove himself to be one of the best central defenders in the country but the odds began to stack against the player. Injury certainly didn't help and his progress was stunted, the arrival of Martin Demichelis won't have helped either and Manuel Pellegrini didn't see Nastasic as a first team starter.

The prolonged chase of Eliaquim Mangala has somewhat underlined that, as well as strong links with Mehdi Benatia. Whilst the latter may be down to simple transfer window gossip, Mangala has already been seen at Manchester City's training facilities, so whilst a deal hasn't been completed, there can be no denying the club's interest in him.

Juventus are trying to take advantage of the Nastasic situation and Turin newspaper Tuttosport say on Wednesday that Manchester City have set out their conditions for a move. Juventus, continually tight, wanted a loan but Manchester City say they will only agree to that if there is the guarantee Juve will buy the player, at a set price, in the next summer transfer window.

If true, it shows just how keen Manchester City are to sell Nastasic. Not so long ago that would have sounded farcical.

Follow us on Twitter @Sport_Witness

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.