So what's to be done?

Being so predictable to the opposition has to be 1 of the first things to change! Some players need dropping ie zabba, vinny, nasri, dzeko! And at the end of the season sack the manager and bringbin a man who will oversee the transformation of the squad and who will be in charge for the forcible future!

LoveCity said:
What annoys me most is how much we've spent on strikers. We all love a striker but the excessive amounts we've spent on them has cost us strengthening other positions. This obsession with "four top strikers" has baffled me for a long time. Now that we've had a rare, once-in-an-era crisis with all of them injured at once, it seems to have made the club feel they are justified and they went and spent £26m on Bony. Who could and probably will be a good signing, but it continues year after year and next it'll be Jovetic and even maybe Dzeko going and being replaced. The papers link us with Danny Ings for the HG quota and it has been confirmed we're scouting Icardi. At least Ings would be free if we signed him but we just never seem to stop with the strikers!

Meanwhile our central midfield has been a disaster area with the over reliance on Yaya continuing yet again and we've had periods where we've been creatively stagnant because we lack variety and extra quality among our attacking midfielders. These are the areas we should have been working hard on after, even in our successful seasons, it was clear we struggled against energetic opposition midfields (especially in Europe). Fernandinho was a good addition but not enough - if we have 4 top strikers, why do we not have 4 top central midfielders? Especially as you're more likely to play 3 central midfielders than 3 strikers. It's a disgrace that a club with our resources relies so much on a near 32 year old Yaya Toure (and Silva in the more advanced midfield positions) after all the money we've allocated to buying strikers.

Players like Koke, Gundogan, Verratti - tenacious players who are very good with the ball - would do wonders for our side and help us compete better in Europe. So what do we do, try for a bargain in Fernando, a purely defensive midfield with limited technique, and it appears to have backfired. We should remake our midfield whether Yaya stays or goes. Even if we miss our main targets, players like Khedira (free but big wages) and Song (1 year left on his contract and homegrown so ideal for Lampard's spot at least) would add a bit of energy and depth we're missing there. But ideally we can land a couple of big ones like Koke or Pogba.

And the pace/winger argument has been done to death... another area neglected. Signing Navas was a good step but he is a squad player type while our rivals boast the likes of Robben, Bale, Sanchez and Hazard. Meanwhile, we buy yet another number 9!

tramazi said:
I am in the 'dont panic' camp. Option A would have been the closest to what I actually think we do but it was worded so negatively

In what way is "Nothing? All is well and every team has these blips. Keep the faith and we'll win the <league> this season again?" even slightly negative????

uwe rosler 28 said:
Being so predictable to the opposition has to be 1 of the first things to change! Some players need dropping ie zabba, vinny, nasri, dzeko! And at the end of the season sack the manager and bringbin a man who will oversee the transformation of the squad and who will be in charge for the forcible future!

But Zabba is one of our hardest workers, city through and through, good enough for world cup finals with one of the best teams in the world. nah we should keep him no matter what. Kompany is going through a bad phase and might need dropping for a game or two (Is it me or does he look more chunkier this year), Nasri is one of our hardest workers, Dzeko... I am undecided, he plays very well with Aguerro and our goals come from these two imo. I would swap Dzeko ONLY for a world class proven striker.

We need to stop rotating our defenders so as they can forge an understanding and trust each other,the rest of our team then needs to consist of the most effective players that best negate the threat of the opposition while allowing us the best opportunity of success - formations matter little,personnel within the chosen formation is what is paramount.

It was obvious to all and sundry when the line ups for the past two games were announced that we we were in for a tough time,well,all except the manager it seems....... Even then,when the predicted shambles on the pitch was developing before our eyes,he still sticks to his rigid formation and tactics until approx the 55 - 60 min mark,almost as if it's a premeditated plan that cannot be altered regardless of the effects,by which time the game has probably been lost.........and even then his substitutions leave most scratching their head.

Unfortunately,as I like the fella,i really do believe he has had his time.....we need new ideas and Pellegrini appears to have run out of them.

Stick with Pellegrini until the summer at least as I fail to see what can be gained by changing a manager so close to the season end.

In the meantime its imperative that someone at the club points out to MP what we and everyone else can see that needs to change and ensure he implements it.

But isn't that the job of the DoF? Seems a bit unfair that the manager takes all the flak if he doesn't fully control player acquisitions, style of play etc.......

Dribble said:
Stick with Pellegrini until the summer at least as I fail to see what can be gained by changing a manager so close to the season end.

In the meantime its imperative that someone at the club points out to MP what we and everyone else can see that needs to change and ensure he implements it.

But isn't that the job of the DoF? Seems a bit unfair that the manager takes all the flak if he doesn't fully control player acquisitions, style of play etc.......

we have seen it with mancini as soon as the race is run the trigger is pulled, i can see this happening again
it looks like he's losing the dressing room for the complete opposite of mancini, being too nice!

Are we not fit enough ?

Is it me or do several of our key players seem a bit heavier than 2 or 3 years ago..

Yaya, Vinny, Nasri, Hart all seem to be carrying a bit of weight compared to when we first won the title....

Surely this is the fault of the Sports Science dept?

tramazi said:
uwe rosler 28 said:

But Zabba is one of our hardest workers, city through and through, good enough for world cup finals with one of the best teams in the world. nah we should keep him no matter what. Kompany is going through a bad phase and might need dropping for a game or two (Is it me or does he look more chunkier this year), Nasri is one of our hardest workers, Dzeko... I am undecided, he plays very well with Aguerro and our goals come from these two imo. I would swap Dzeko ONLY for a world class proven striker.

I just mean dropping not selling! I feel for both full backs the amount of exposure they get! For me the whole defence just look nervous! We should have won the league this season with the squad we have no doubt about it! And a decent manager would have done its not hard to work out what system and players are needed for certain games! Now in Europe its a different kettle of fish! No team in England is good enough to win it! But again we should have made easy work of the group stage and been a lot harder to play against barca!

Re: Are we not fit enough ?

Or it could just be a matter of our main squad players growing old..they're not going to stay fresh forever mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.