So what's to be done?

LoveCity said:
What annoys me most is how much we've spent on strikers. We all love a striker but the excessive amounts we've spent on them has cost us strengthening other positions. This obsession with "four top strikers" has baffled me for a long time. Now that we've had a rare, once-in-an-era crisis with all of them injured at once, it seems to have made the club feel they are justified and they went and spent £26m on Bony. Who could and probably will be a good signing, but it continues year after year and next it'll be Jovetic and even maybe Dzeko going and being replaced. The papers link us with Danny Ings for the HG quota and it has been confirmed we're scouting Icardi. At least Ings would be free if we signed him but we just never seem to stop with the strikers!

Meanwhile our central midfield has been a disaster area with the over reliance on Yaya continuing yet again and we've had periods where we've been creatively stagnant because we lack variety and extra quality among our attacking midfielders. These are the areas we should have been working hard on after, even in our successful seasons, it was clear we struggled against energetic opposition midfields (especially in Europe). Fernandinho was a good addition but not enough - if we have 4 top strikers, why do we not have 4 top central midfielders? Especially as you're more likely to play 3 central midfielders than 3 strikers. It's a disgrace that a club with our resources relies so much on a near 32 year old Yaya Toure (and Silva in the more advanced midfield positions) after all the money we've allocated to buying strikers.

Players like Koke, Gundogan, Verratti - tenacious players who are very good with the ball - would do wonders for our side and help us compete better in Europe. So what do we do, try for a bargain in Fernando, a purely defensive midfield with limited technique, and it appears to have backfired. We should remake our midfield whether Yaya stays or goes. Even if we miss our main targets, players like Khedira (free but big wages) and Song (1 year left on his contract and homegrown so ideal for Lampard's spot at least) would add a bit of energy and depth we're missing there. But ideally we can land a couple of big ones like Koke or Pogba.

And the pace/winger argument has been done to death... another area neglected. Signing Navas was a good step but he is a squad player type while our rivals boast the likes of Robben, Bale, Sanchez and Hazard. Meanwhile, we buy yet another number 9!

Agree with this, remember at the start of the season when someone posted a side by side comparison of our "Two squads"? Everyone was buzzing over this unreal strength in depth.

We've spent far too much on strikers.. I think they've also averaged about £20m per player with the likes of Tevez, Dzeko, Balo, Aguero, Adebayor, Negredo, Jovetic & Wilf. I won't add the likes of Jo and Roque haha.

The midfield as a whole has been ignored.. the quality over the years has been very low, the only two you can say who were class are Yaya & Silva. NDJ Barry and Milner were/are good but not to the level of Yaya and Silva. Nasri's yet to fully convince me being consistently good and Navas will always be average for me. Fernandinho was good last season but has regressed and is 30 yrs old this year.

The defence is a weird one, we've failed to sign a top, top left back. Clichy has been inconsistent and never truly been great, Kolarov has been a shambles defensively. Centre Back and Right Back we've been fine at though.

Immediately: Sending David, Kun, Zabaleta on a mini-vacation would be a good idea. Against Burnley we should have no problem even without these three. Give them a week off after Leicester and then begin preparing for the away fixture to Barcelona, and will probably fill up their energy levels enough so they'll stay sharp until the end of the season.

Summer: New manager in. Build a hungry, energetic and determined squad.

B - at the end of the season, it really would fuck the season up if we got someone new in now IMHO. We'd struggle to get ANY consistency if we swap the manager now

C - over 50 mil spent on the likes of fernando, cabellero and mangala is an absolute piss take. Yes i understand ffp but ffs when have one of our summer signings 'wowed' you? When you compare it with chelseas signings like fabregas, luis and costa. We needed a Negredo replacement in the summer but we never got that and combined with a number of other things, we're paying for it now.

New Director of Football.
We had money and a crap manager.
Then we had money and a good manager but average DoF
Then we had money, a good manager and a new DoF who undermined the manager
Now we have money, an average manager and a DoF who has proved to be irresponsible with regard to FFP and limited in his vision of football.

we built a great team and then removed the driving force and replaced him with a grey man. That decision was driven by the DoF.

Address the cause not the symptoms.

Re: Are we not fit enough ?

warringtonblue said:
Fitness is the one thing that is under your control, if someone is better or faster, that's the advantage they have, but not to be able to last 90 mins is piss poor preparation.
On a slightly different note, fitness & determination will sometimes carry you(admittedly only so far), to prove a point, look at Celtics results in Europe, they've beaten some top teams at home mainly by determination, with players who for skill couldn't hold a candle to some of ours

There's no substitute for skill and talent, and there's no substitute for determination. If the skill and talent ain't delivering, then perhaps we should look at how determined a player is!

A lot of the press seem to be obsessed by our "aging squad" ... now I appreciate the average age of our team is higher han most, but most of our key players seem to be 28 (give or take a year) which, while no spring chickens, surely isn't old enough to explain why we can't cover in midfield, etc.

If all those players were 32, I could understand it (although didn't Fergie play a midfield of Carrick, Giggs, Scholes & Park - average age about 35) in that crucial derby of 2012 ? Makes our current midfield look like babies).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.