sort the pitch out.

Plain Speaking said:
jonmcity said:
stony said:
It is beginning to look a little threadbare in places. A consequence of training on it before every game perhaps?

Hardly something worth moaning about though.

If training on the pitch means an average of four goals a game long may it continue
MP likes to train on the match pitch the day before the game but he is used to pitches in Spain with considerably less rain than Manchester. Since we are at the start of winter, the pitch will only get worse. Depending on the weather, it may be better to consider training some where else after prolonged heavy rain?
Surely less skilful visiting sides will be pleased if the pitch continues to deteriorate?

Of course when the new academy and training facilities across the road are completed and fully functional the squad will have the most comprehensive training opportunities, including a training pitch which exactly replicates the stadium pitch in terms of dimensions and playing surface. Hopefully this will be sometime next season!
Also I am sure that if it gets to the stage where the balance of risk of training on the stadium pitch is long term and serious damage to the surface the pre-game training sessions would revert to Carrington for now. The ground staff need a big pat on the back for keeping it as good as it is considering the recent weather, short hours of sunlight, etc.

Fear not; the Sheikh will get it sorted.......Sort out the new Academy complex first, then the stadium expansion. After that we'll have Abu Dhabi levels of sunshine in Manchester and the best grass north of fricking Wimbledon

I thought the pitch was fine. I did get rather annoyed that some bloke kept moaning every time me and my mate had to nip out for a piss in 234. I've asked the club to look into a possible airlifting device to appease him.

We used to win awards for this pitch, look at the state of it in November '79
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXExWITEtdI[/youtube]

For you youngsters, if you ever wondered why it's called 'the swamp' (well, one of the reasons)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VnEjaw7uNs[/youtube]

P.S. Mr Kirkpatrick is a fine figure of a man.

The pitch has been at it's best when we haven't had concerts on at the stadium in the Summers (grass growing season). There seems to be a knock-on affect of a poorer pitch in the Winter when the pitch is covered up in the Summer.

Ay, the good ole days. Maine Road 1970.

Derby's pitch used to be piss poor IIRC.

2vrvbyv.jpg

I.bleed.blue said:
Plain Speaking said:
jonmcity said:
If training on the pitch means an average of four goals a game long may it continue
MP likes to train on the match pitch the day before the game but he is used to pitches in Spain with considerably less rain than Manchester. Since we are at the start of winter, the pitch will only get worse. Depending on the weather, it may be better to consider training some where else after prolonged heavy rain?
Surely less skilful visiting sides will be pleased if the pitch continues to deteriorate?

Of course when the new academy and training facilities across the road are completed and fully functional the squad will have the most comprehensive training opportunities, including a training pitch which exactly replicates the stadium pitch in terms of dimensions and playing surface. Hopefully this will be sometime next season!
Also I am sure that if it gets to the stage where the balance of risk of training on the stadium pitch is long term and serious damage to the surface the pre-game training sessions would revert to Carrington for now. The ground staff need a big pat on the back for keeping it as good as it is considering the recent weather, short hours of sunlight, etc.
Good post, reassuring.
I wasn't trying to criticise the grounds staff, they do a great job on the pitch considering our climate and frequency of use. The pitch at our "Fortress" needs protecting to continue our fast, free flowing football. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.