Southampton (A) | Post Match Thread

Bit harsh that. Ultimately Gundo and Sterling missed from practically on the goal line as well as the 4 we scored. Southampton deserved the thumping. Maybe if you want to be generous 2-5 would've been fairer.
Agree. They put us under particular pressure in the last 15 of the first and first 10 of the second. Ballsy from Hassenhutl to play such a hard press with long and Armstrong picked for that reason. V hard to maintain for a full game.

I think playing steffen added to the twitchiness of stones Laporte and cancelo when it came to playing out from the back - shows how unique Ederson is.

don’t think we can read too much from that match with regards to atletico and Liverpool. In the end Southampton lost and the tactics didn’t work.

Funny, isn't it, I thought we were better against Palace...

I think today showed why Pep was eager to keep Foden and Mahrez on the pitch rather than making substitutions.

Something isn't quite right at the moment, but I don't think we are in a slump per se. One of those things where, with a slight tweak, we could look like world beaters and go on a long unbeaten run. Fingers crossed Pep has got his timings spot on coming out of the international break.

Bit harsh that. Ultimately Gundo and Sterling missed from practically on the goal line as well as the 4 we scored. Southampton deserved the thumping. Maybe if you want to be generous 2-5 would've been fairer.
Can't really agree with that. True that if Gundog had scored the easy chance for 2-0 then we would have coasted it but we also were lucky not to be 1 down.
For 20-25 mins before and just after HT, their pressing and some carelessness from us caused a few problems. Whilst their goal was lucky, they created a great chance just before we got our soft pen.
After that, agree that we ran away with it.

It all makes the running fixtures for us and Liverpool (and Chelsea) interesting once the next PL game is out of the way - Liverpool have Benfica away, then usBenfica at home, then us at Wembley (sat or sun)?, followed by United on the Tuesday and Everton on Sunday.
Loads of pressure on them to get a result at ours, despite the media saying it’s all in their hands.
all without the best passer of the ball in the history of ball games being fit…

Southampton always give us a tough game and today was no exception, although we played better than the last two times against them. Sometimes our decision making and passing/dithering on the ball by players we know are world class is baffling. We tend to do this every game and have a jittery spell or two. In fairness Southampton pressed us well and battled hard. Amazing we won 4-1 and it's no exaggeration we could have scored six or seven by the end as Southampton collapsed.

Two big downsides were Jesus and Grealish. Poor Jesus's form has fallen off a cliff after a bright start to the season and Grealish was awful today

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.