Spiegel: Leaked European Super League information

My understanding from that is it will replace the champs league (not domestic league for sides participating). Aside from the elitism of it all, its not a bad idea in theory. Replacing what is essentially a knock out competition with a league, where the best team will be crowned European champion after playing everyone else.

Where it would fail is, when a team loses a couple of games and has no chance of winning it, and can't be relegated, and have an important domestic game coming up, they just wont be arsed and will just field B teams and focus on that instead.
Correct. And with no relegation(apparently) for the 7 main clubs, its just creating elitism, which is very wrong in my opinion.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but if you look past the odd cheap jibe at City, the thread over on Red Café on this subject is quite interesting. Most on there saying how bad it would be but then the odd few (Mainly American) stating how they think it could be a good idea.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-european-super-league-of-sixteen-teams-from-2021.442624/

Assuming this was to replace our own domestic league, I think many traditionalist fans of all clubs involved will be against the idea. Not to have a dig at out of town, or even out of country fans, but those watching the games on TV from the other side of the world - be they City fans, United fans, or whoever - probably think it's a great idea to play Barca 6 times a season, whereas many match-going fans think it's utter shite. Never mind the jibes about empty seats at our place - there will be half-empty stadia all over if this ever comes to fruition, because there's only so many tourists and day-trippers who will snap up the tickets, even across town at Old Trafford. But if the clubs are getting £500 million a year for competing in it, I doubt they'll give much of a fuck.

This will be the final nail in the coffin for me if they go for it... Its 100% a TV money and fuck you fans deal, i will save my money and go and watch Maine Road play..!
This for me. If city are anywhere near this, should it come off, they won’t get one penny more from me. Not only that, Chelsea, City and PSG should have no truck with this, whatsoever. Standing on the outside desperate to get into the party is one thing but getting in and then barricading the door behind is a step too far for me. As for the ‘istree boys, well they’ve never behaved differently and I would expect no more from them. I hope that we won’t support this as it’ll be the start of the process of turning into them.

What I’ve read it’s replacing champs league and we still have the premier league.
Yep, 14 games in a season as opposed to 13 games for the finalists of the CL. If it has to come in it should be a division one and two with a max of top two teams from each of the big leagues. It should be on merit with first and second in the league, promotion and relegation. All that said I absolutely hate the idea. Could you imagine teams who can’t win the league with 6 games to go having to play meaningless games all over Europe?

At the risk of being labelled a dinosaur, I would prefer the champions of all 55 member governing bodies being entered along with the runners up in the 9 highest ranking nations into a proper old fashoined 2 legged knock out. No sponsorship, no crappy anthems and no silly kits. No seeding, balls in the bag on a Wednesday night with Sepp Maier and Roberto Baggio exchanging amusing stories and a live link to the changing rooms at Lincoln Imps as the players huddle around the transistor radio, then Barcelona having to make the tricky trip to Havnar Boltfelag on chilly November evening. BBC doing a feature on the fact the left back had to do his paper round the morning of the game, the waft of putrid whale meat and John Moston in full sheepskin mode waxing lyrical about the mystique of the cup.

Bring back the cup winners cup along the same lines, thereby revitalising the importance of domestic cups.

I would actually watch that...........

At the risk of being labelled a dinosaur, I would prefer the champions of all 55 member governing bodies being entered along with the runners up in the 9 highest ranking nations into a proper old fashoined 2 legged knock out. No sponsorship, no crappy anthems and no silly kits. No seeding, balls in the bag on a Wednesday night with Sepp Maier and Roberto Baggio exchanging amusing stories and a live link to the changing rooms at Lincoln Imps as the players huddle around the transistor radio, then Barcelona having to make the tricky trip to Havnar Boltfelag on chilly November evening. BBC doing a feature on the fact the left back had to do his paper round the morning of the game, the waft of putrid whale meat and John Moston in full sheepskin mode waxing lyrical about the mystique of the cup.

Bring back the cup winners cup along the same lines, thereby revitalising the importance of domestic cups.

I would actually watch that...........
I don't know what your profession is but you would make a bloody good journalist, superb piece of writing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.