Spurs (H) - Post-Match Thread

Fuckers are our bogey team
To some extent, yes. However, last season, we beat them 3-0 at home and then beat them in the League Cup Final. Kane and Son were not together in either game. So our real issue is why we constantly fail to stop this duo playing the Deja Vu trick upon us.

Finally plucked up the courage to watch the highlights on YouTube and I'm pissed off about that third goal all over again. The defending was even worse than it looked in the stadium.

I don't think Pep ever puts a youth player on when we are chasing a game. I imagine he thinks it's unfair pressure on them if they don't do well.
I couldn't think of anything worse for a young player's development than chucking them on a game that you are chasing with 20 minutes to go and asking them to make a difference.

I couldn't think of anything worse for a young player's development than chucking them on a game that you are chasing with 20 minutes to go and asking them to make a difference.
I’m going to go out in a limb and tell you Delap disagrees with you!

The opposite of your negative take is that a young player who is given a chance, no matter how small, and takes it, is suddenly given significantly more confidence than anything negative that could possibly happen!

I’m going to go out in a limb and tell you Delap disagrees with you!

The opposite of your negative take is that a young player who is given a chance, no matter how small, and takes it, is suddenly given significantly more confidence than anything negative that could possibly happen!
Young player wants to play football, shocker.

It's not a "negative take", it's a fairly straightforward observation about how the City academy and Pep see the development of young players.

We were much the better team despite being below our best. But what I notice is that when we're playing well, you barely see a misplaced pass. Against Spurs we misplaced a few passes more than normal, but still passed the ball at a level any normal top four team would consider to be outstanding. We tried to draw Spurs onto us - hence the slow play at times and they stuck with their small team low block mentality. And yes, we were inches away from two more goals. If we'd won, Spurs would have been slaughtered on MOTD for their park the bus tactics and four defeats in a row, but because we gifted them their goals it's a 'masterclass' apparently. Can't help but think Ferna would have had us in a formation to have stopped the counter attacks at source (with him no doubt making the telling interceptions) - Kane wouldn't have had all that space for his pass for the first.
Get most of what you're saying Harry apart from the first sentence. We were clearly not the better team at defending on the day, masters of our own downfall.

It's not a "negative take", it's a fairly straightforward observation about how the City academy and Pep see the development of young players.

It’s absolutely negative to say a player may have his ”development” harmed by being asked to go in with 15-20 mins to go and to try to get on the end of something!

There is absolutely NOTHING negative to be taken by a 19 year old who is asked to do that! In fact, the absolute reverse would be true, and as a young lad who was asked to do that at a big club (and not even in a big PL game!), I can tell you it made me feel like THEY HAD GREAT CONFIDENCE IN ME!

There was literally no downside to putting on Delap, other than if he missed an absolute sitter to win the game, or tie it! But, as such a great coach, I’m sure Pep would have protected him and let him know he trusted him or he wouldn’t have put him in the field!

Theres so few actually making the breakthrough that there's a fair chance Pep could do better as regards the youngsters.
I doubt they're all not ready.
If they aren't given a chance we'll never know.
For me this is exactly the situation you'd find out what they'd got instead of a half paced cup game against lower league competition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.