Spurs thread 2014-2015

bluemiester said:
Manc in London said:
bluemiester said:
Chingford is about 1 mile from Spurs old training ground and 3 miles from WHL. Spurs are the local club.

You don't the area very well. Chingford is around 5 miles from Luxborough Lane, where Spurs used to train.

By car maybe. But in terms of actual distance it's close to 1 mile than 5. Also it isn't in Essex. It's definitely Spurs heartland.

It's 5 mile. No doubt about it. It's not within mile at all. I think you are getting confused between Chigwell and Chingford. Chingford was an Essex town until 1965 when it became part of Greater London. Officially part of Greater London, without doubt, but the older locals regard it as Essex. Similar to Barnet and Herts, and Enfield and Middx.

However, Chingford is not a Spurs heartland. It is probably as much a West Ham area. I bet there are as many Rags in Chingford. In fact, I would bet there are as many people that hate Spurs than like them. Not what I would regard as a heartland. Spurs are bigger in Enfield. I'd put my house on it.

It is irrelevant who Kane supports but the original claim that he is a Spurs fan appears to be incorrect.

2577C57D00000578-0-image-m-106_1423412929589.jpg

Manc in London said:
bluemiester said:
Manc in London said:
You don't the area very well. Chingford is around 5 miles from Luxborough Lane, where Spurs used to train.

By car maybe. But in terms of actual distance it's close to 1 mile than 5. Also it isn't in Essex. It's definitely Spurs heartland.

It's 5 mile. No doubt about it. It's not within mile at all. I think you are getting confused between Chigwell and Chingford. Chingford was an Essex town until 1965 when it became part of Greater London. Officially part of Greater London, without doubt, but the older locals regard it as Essex. Similar to Barnet and Herts, and Enfield and Middx.

However, Chingford is not a Spurs heartland. It is probably as much a West Ham area. I bet there are as many Rags in Chingford. In fact, I would bet there are as many people that hate Spurs than like them. Not what I would regard as a heartland. Spurs are bigger in Enfield. I'd put my house on it.

It is irrelevant who Kane supports but the original claim that he is a Spurs fan appears to be incorrect.

He was at Arsenal youth team for a while. He could have had it on for that?

Manc in London said:
bluemiester said:
Manc in London said:

Chingford and north Essex generally is most definitely Spurs heartland. As much so as Hertfordshire. That doesn't mean that there aren't lots of fans of other clubs in the area (it's London, effectively, after all - so you'll have Utd and Liverpool as well Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea) but Spurs are the best represented club in the area.

The Hammers are indeed huge in Essex - but very much more south and east Essex.

As to Kane, he played for a year for Arsenal U9's or something. That's almost certainly why he's wearing that shirt at that parade. I doubt that he'd lie about being a Spurs fan if he was genuinely an Arsenal fan - because every non Spurs fan he knew at that age would now be coming out of the woodwork to tell the world what a liar he is. He'd more likely just keep quiet about it altogether.

By the way, speaking of Spurs academy graduates, the current academy has just dumped Utd out of the FA Youth Cup 3-1 tonight.

Manc in London said:
bluemiester said:
Manc in London said:

He was at Arsenal as a kid, simple as. Kane's a Spurs fan.
'I wanted to wear a Tottenham kit but I don't think that would've gone down to well,' said Kane.

'I was eight-years-old. I was at Arsenal for a year and obviously I was a kid, I just wanted to play football.

'I've been at Spurs since I was 11-years-old, always loved the club. I've been here 10 years and hopefully many more years to come.'

Manc in London said:
bluemiester said:
Manc in London said:

Ok, just checked, the Chingford east boundary is just under 2500 meters from Spurs Lodge. So whilst not within a mile, way less than 5 miles.

Chingford is Spurs heartland. Enfield is also part of Spurs heartland. The whole area is.

West Ham is Stratford out to Romford.

JimB said:
Chingford and north Essex generally is most definitely Spurs heartland. As much so as Hertfordshire. That doesn't mean that there aren't lots of fans of other clubs in the area (it's London, effectively, after all - so you'll have Utd and Liverpool as well Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea) but Spurs are the best represented club in the area.

The Hammers are indeed huge in Essex - but very much more south and east Essex.

I accept West Ham are more popular in Romford, Ilford and the likes but there are plenty about in Chingford. You will be surprised how many people have made the 'white flight' move from East london to places like Loughton and Chingford.

I am not sure how you define heartland, but I regard it as an area where the fans are predominantly one team. Using that definition, I can't think of any area that can be regarded as a Spurs heartland. I remember when I was unfortunate enough to go to a secondary for a short period of time in Eccles, Salford. The form I was in had around 30 pupils. All the football fans were United, apart from me. What can I say, I like to stand out. When I went to the Blue Bell or the Top House in Monton, they would show every United game and the pubs were packed. Barely any City games. That for me, is evidence of a heartland. I was in Chingford with a Blue and a Newcastle fan looking for somewhere to catch a game between Spurs and Swansea. In a heartland, surely the pubs would have the game on with plenty of Spurs fans about as it was an away game. We went into a boozer and not one person reacted to the Spurs goals, yet a few cheers went up when Swansea scored. Hardly typical of what I regard as a heartland.

I have worked with police, sports clubs and local authorities (in particular, youth and leisure services) in the likes of Waltham Forest, Enfield, Barnet and Haringey. Based on my experience, not one area is a Spurs heartland. From what I have seen, there are as many Arsenal fans as Spurs fans in pretty much every area. I don't think Arsenal have a heartland either. Each have areas where a large number of fans are based.

As for Hertfordshire, I don't know if you have visited recently but from what I have witnessed, it's now very much Arsenal and Chelsea are dominant. Not sure why there are so many Chelsea fans in Hertfordshire. You only have to go to St Albans, Watford and Hertford to see how popular Chelsea are.

As to Kane, he played for a year for Arsenal U9's or something. That's almost certainly why he's wearing that shirt at that parade. I doubt that he'd lie about being a Spurs fan if he was genuinely an Arsenal fan - because every non Spurs fan he knew at that age would now be coming out of the woodwork to tell the world what a liar he is. He'd more likely just keep quiet about it altogether.

Just to make it clear, I don't think it matters but, of course, he is going to deny being an Arsenal fan. It's not wise to admit you supported a rival as fans tend to overreact to such things. Dying your hair red, wearing a shirt and attending a trophy parade looks like sound evidence to me.

Manc in London said:
JimB said:
I accept West Ham are more popular in Romford, Ilford and the likes but there are plenty about in Chingford. You will be surprised how many people have made the 'white flight' move from East london to places like Loughton and Chingford.

I am not sure how you define heartland, but I regard it as an area where the fans are predominantly one team. Using that definition, I can't think of any area that can be regarded as a Spurs heartland. I remember when I was unfortunate enough to go to a secondary for a short period of time in Eccles, Salford. The form I was in had around 30 pupils. All the football fans were United, apart from me. What can I say, I like to stand out. When I went to the Blue Bell or the Top House in Monton, they would show every United game and the pubs were packed. Barely any City games. That for me, is evidence of a heartland. I was in Chingford with a Blue and a Newcastle fan looking for somewhere to catch a game between Spurs and Swansea. In a heartland, surely the pubs would have the game on with plenty of Spurs fans about as it was an away game. We went into a boozer and not one person reacted to the Spurs goals, yet a few cheers went up when Swansea scored. Hardly typical of what I regard as a heartland.

I have worked with police, sports clubs and local authorities (in particular, youth and leisure services) in the likes of Waltham Forest, Enfield, Barnet and Haringey. Based on my experience, not one area is a Spurs heartland. From what I have seen, there are as many Arsenal fans as Spurs fans in pretty much every area. I don't think Arsenal have a heartland either. Each have areas where a large number of fans are based.

As for Hertfordshire, I don't know if you have visited recently but from what I have witnessed, it's now very much Arsenal and Chelsea are dominant. Not sure why there are so many Chelsea fans in Hertfordshire. You only have to go to St Albans, Watford and Hertford to see how popular Chelsea are.

Just to make it clear, I don't think it matters but, of course, he is going to deny being an Arsenal fan. It's not wise to admit you supported a rival as fans tend to overreact to such things. Dying your hair red, wearing a shirt and attending a trophy parade looks like sound evidence to me.

Yes, there are definitely Hammers fans in Chingford and north Essex. Fans of many other clubs too. It's just that Tottenham is the best represented of them there.

This being London, "heartland" doesn't have quite the same connotation as it does in other parts of the country. There are so many local clubs and such a vast and diverse population of people who have moved to London from all over the country and around the world that there is no such thing as homogeneity of support. By "heartland" in London and the south east, one can only ever mean that that is the area where the majority of a club's fans in the country can be found. It doesn't mean that it is the only club represented in the area or even that its fans constitute the majority in the area.

As to your pub.....hardly a valid sample size! Of course you can find pubs in Chingford where there is indifference or antipathy to Spurs - just as you will find likewise for Arsenal in Islington, say.

Hertfordshire - that depends where in Hertfordshire you go. West is more Arsenal. East more Tottenham. As to Chelsea, are you talking about kids in shirts? That's only natural, I guess. There'll probably be lots of sprogs running around in City shirts in a few years! But among those aged 25+, there are far, far more Spurs and Arsenal in Hertfordshire than there are Chelsea. It's not even close. Likewise, there are loads of Spurs and Arsenal in Surrey but nothing like the number of Chelsea there.

Finally, re Harry Kane, if he genuinely was an Arsenal fan, I don't think he would be so stupid as to claim repeatedly that he was a lifelong Spurs fan. It would be far too easy for everyone who knew him back in the day to call him out and embarrass him about it. If he was an Arsenal fan, he would simply keep quiet about who he supported. There have been plenty of Spurs players who were Arsenal fans - including the immensely popular Jermain Defoe. No one cares about it because how they play for Spurs is all that matters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.