Stadium Expansion

bugsyblue said:
Chippy_boy said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
All aside though its a very inspirational post just lacks all basic logic

I really don't think you have thought that through. It's a quite brilliant idea and would make financial sense too.

It's been proven time and time and time again by successive governments around the world that if you want to increase tax revenues, you CUT taxes. This works because it stimulates demand and growth and you get more money by taking a smaller slice of a much bigger pie. This is just the same.

The club could
make WAY more money if we had say 80,000+ coming every fortnight. No matter what price the tickets.
Just think of the knock on effects. How many of them would want cheap season tickets? How many of them would buy programs and shirts and other memorabilia. How many would spend money at local eateries and pubs etc. The possibilities for revenue generation are enormous.

How many families with 3 toddlers would start taking them to City instead of anywhere else.

Chippy mate I'm not sure you have thought it through:

80,000 x £10 = 800,000
45,000 x £35 = 1,575,000

I can't see memrabilia, programmes, drinks etc filling the defecit. Also you have to factor in the construction work costs in the first place! My guess would be an expanision would be at least £80m?

You have grabbed another 35,000 supporters from absolutely nowhere, the PR around the world is worth 100 times as much.

A few seem to have missed the concept, the shortfalls in football can never be met by supporters, never has done.

The match-day revenue is already banked thanks to all the new corporate take-up, lounges, sponsors, who have 80-100k in the stadium of the champions.

Those extra 35,000 fans are also outside keeping all our other sponsors happy buying in their outlets.

Each one, paying a huge annual site fee to be in the Etihad Campus.

To give you a clear indication that we are looking at changes being at least a couple of years away Etihad will stage the Rugby League Magic Weekend for the next 2 seasons.

Also worth noting that United made £2m from staging games for the Olympics.

fbloke said:
To give you a clear indication that we are looking at changes being at least a couple of years away Etihad will stage the Rugby League Magic Weekend for the next 2 seasons.

That's disappointing.

Is there any prospect of building a new stadium I wonder?

Chippy_boy said:
fbloke said:

That's disappointing.

It's what they should have done, but it's gone beyond that now in terms of agreements with the council, Sport England, etc.

They looked at one of the car parks, and it would have been ideal as we used the existing Etihad without any loss of capacity.

We could have then knocked down the Etihad and been left with an even bigger footprint to build money-making ventures from.

All the time, the anticipation and buzz, as the new stadium went up, would have increased the demand to be part of it.

An open goal, missed, I feel?

Chippy_boy said:
fbloke said:

That's disappointing.

I doubt it.

I would imagine stadium development will only begin once the Campus is completed in any case, that fits nicely with the deal for RL ending.

The time in between then and now could easily be used up in planning, consultation and design amendments in any case.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Chippy_boy said:
fbloke said:

That's disappointing.

It's what they should have done, but it's gone beyond that now in terms of agreements with the council, Sport England, etc.

They looked at one of the car parks, and it would have been ideal as we used the existing Etihad without any loss of capacity.

We could have then knocked down the Etihad and been left with an even bigger footprint to build money-making ventures from.

All the time, the anticipation and buzz, as the new stadium went up, would have increased the demand to be part of it.

An open goal, missed, I feel?

I think so. A new huge stadium (with opening / closing roof and movable seating) and ultra cheap tickets for the masses to watch some of the World's best players would have been a very interesting project.

The Hamburg home game in the UEFA Cup proved that if a match is priced cheap enough then filling the ground isn't a problem. Granted, we're talking 47,000-plus as opposed to 80,000-100,000 but the speed at which tickets sold out for that game indicated that we could've possibly sold 60,000 or more. And that was merely for a last-eight tie in Europe's lesser competition at a time when we were only mid-table in the Premier League.

The club has progressed hugely since that night three and a half years ago and while attendances have been rising gradually the steady increase in ticket prices (still very reasonable in comparison to other elite English clubs) has deterred plenty of blues from getting out of their homes/the pub to watch us live. The fact that you can catch pretty much any game live on TV or a stream these days has meant that something very drastic would be needed to tempt many fans to attend matches. Building a far bigger capacity stadium and slashing ticket prices would surely capture the imagination and appeal to a large number of fans who wouldn't normally consider going.

If it was down to me, we would already be building an indoor concert arena on the surrounding land, concerts three times a week and buy the MEN Arena site off the council.

Is there something in that? I've had the corner of my eye on that for some time (since the plans were first mooted and again when the arena dropped it's sponsor). If this is going to be an all singing/dancing entertainment district then such an arena would have to be part of it. The Etihad holds a few concerts in the summer, quite successfully I'm guessing, but for 9 months of the year it's a no no. Where it would go if the Etihad is indeed staying and being redeveloped rather than a new build elsewhere?
The 'Arena' in town wouldn't be missed physically....I can only picture the arse end car park entrance opposite the old Boddie's site...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.