Stadium Expansion

OB1 said:
Sheikh Rattle n Roll said:
It's not that long ago when we were at Maine Road with crowds of 16k, 17k and 18k in a 52,000 capacity stadium, so don't worry about the empty seats, we never did then!........I know things have changed big time since and the Club know that there is a large fan base in Manchester alone, that can easily fill a 60k stadium.

With regard to cup matches and lower attendances, who remembers the days when our cup attendances in the FA cup were larger than league (as like other clubs). I think the younger fans, and in a lot of instances, older fans today, seem to think everything revolves around The Champions League, which clearly isn't the case given the 'struggle' to sell tickets for home games.

Bring on a 60k stadium!

When exactly did we get crowds under 20k in Maine Road for league games?

Mid/ Late 80s in division 2 (87-88?)when we didn't get promoted. Just for one season.The whole of football was on it's arse then. Clubs like Arsenal were getting not much over 20,000.

OB1 said:
It's not that long ago when we were at Maine Road with crowds of 16k, 17k and 18k in a 52,000 capacity stadium, so don't worry about the empty seats, we never did then!........I know things have changed big time since and the Club know that there is a large fan base in Manchester alone, that can easily fill a 60k stadium.

With regard to cup matches and lower attendances, who remembers the days when our cup attendances in the FA cup were larger than league (as like other clubs). I think the younger fans, and in a lot of instances, older fans today, seem to think everything revolves around The Champions League, which clearly isn't the case given the 'struggle' to sell tickets for home games.

Bring on a 60k stadium!

Without being precise with dates, I would say around 1986 and 1987......some might not like to hear it, but it is true (well if you believe the figure posted by Mr Swales).

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

Bring on a 60k stadium!

Mid/ Late 80s in division 2 (87-88?)when we didn't get promoted. Just for one season.The whole of football was on it's arse then. Clubs like Arsenal were getting not much over 20,000.

I'm sure the stats are out there but i would be very surprised if we have ever got under 20k for a home league game

wireblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

I'm sure the stats are out there but i would be very surprised if we have ever got under 20k for a home league game

Lowest I can see is 15,172 v Reading on 4th April 1988....last home game of the season was just over 16k.

wireblue said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Lowest I can see is 15,172 v Reading on 4th April 1988....last home game of the season was just over 16k.

Well then i am surprised!

OB1 said:

Bring on a 60k stadium!

when the rags borrowed it after Uwe's ancestor did his work

I want 100,000 seater if we could.

I don't give a shit about empty seats. Why have a 50,000 seater when your top games could sell 70,000 tickets? What's the point? It's throwing money away.

wireblue said:
Well then i am surprised!

loads of gates under 20k that season and ones surrounding it
We opened with quite a few 15k and 16k gates before Xmas one season -87/88

The 10-1 V Huddersfield was only 19k.

But as others have said we were still one of the top 5 or 6 supported teams in the country with those crowds - even in Div2.

Don't hold me to this & I aint googled it, but I remember being in the Kippax circa 87/88 & we played Millwall. We won 4-0 Iain Scott scored & I'm sure we had around 14000. Played Bournmouth around the same time & attracted around 16000...

apple pie corner said:
Don't hold me to this & I aint googled it, but I remember being in the Kippax circa 87/88 & we played Millwall. We won 4-0 Iain Scott scored & I'm sure we had around 14000. Played Bournmouth around the same time & attracted around 16000...

We never dipped under 15k that season, but we went close.
Think Milwall was one of those lower gates

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.