Stadium Expansion

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Gray said:
Doesn't look like there is enough room for an extra 6,000 seats at each end especially in the corners.
etihad.jpg

They are surely going to have to alter the stadium to fit the seats and necessary concourses in?

Here me out, know it sounds ridiculous, but there was a precedent set by West Ham.

Is it in possible to rotate the pitch 90 degrees, is there enough play in the bowels of the stadium to bring the pitch into the East and West Stands.

That way behind the goals already has it's three tiers and North and South stands can be reconfigured and extended from bringing them in even closer to the pitch.

Radical, I know, but there are some crazy architects out there!

Wasn't it Wolves that turned the pitch through 90 degrees? I think West Ham moved the pitch but didn't change direction.

Looking at the stadium (and I'm no architect) the ring at the front edge of each stands is broadly the same height (it has to be its a ring) but the shape of the stand roof means the back of the East and West stands is considerably higher than the back of the North and South Stands. There can't be any good reason why we cant build behind both the North and south stands take the terracing higher - allow enough space for a concourse etc... and still join a revised roof onto the present support structure. I'm sure someone more technical than me will tell be I'm wrong...

nmc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Gray said:
Doesn't look like there is enough room for an extra 6,000 seats at each end especially in the corners.
etihad.jpg

They are surely going to have to alter the stadium to fit the seats and necessary concourses in?

Here me out, know it sounds ridiculous, but there was a precedent set by West Ham.

Is it in possible to rotate the pitch 90 degrees, is there enough play in the bowels of the stadium to bring the pitch into the East and West Stands.

That way behind the goals already has it's three tiers and North and South stands can be reconfigured and extended from bringing them in even closer to the pitch.

Wasn't it Wolves that turned the pitch through 90 degrees? I think West Ham moved the pitch but didn't change direction.

Looking at the stadium (and I'm no architect) the ring at the front edge of each stands is broadly the same height (it has to be its a ring) but the shape of the stand roof means the back of the East and West stands is considerably higher than the back of the North and South Stands. There can't be any good reason why we cant build behind both the North and south stands take the terracing higher - allow enough space for a concourse etc... and still join a revised roof onto the present support structure. I'm sure someone more technical than me will tell be I'm wrong...

It's not the same height...

[bigimg]http://znn.india.com/sports/2011/10/23/Etihad-Stadium.jpg[/bigimg]

Not saying they can't lift it... In fact I think they'll have to lift it to get 6k in at each end.

But a bloke once told a crane driver that it couldn't be done, so obviously not.

;-)

Is this going ahead, or is it subject to interest in the Corporate seats?

If is going ahead, when?

Found this snippet in the Telegraph interesting.

When Real Madrid visited in the Champions League last month, the money generated merely by the Etihad Stadium’s commercial facilities topped £1.5 million for the first time.

Just shows how prestigious Champions League football is and one of the reasons we need to do better in it, it brings in the corporate/hospitality types that the club is chasing to improve matchday revenue.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

FA guidelines for stadium design say that the optimum orientation of the pitch is 345 degrees (nearly North-South) and most new stadiums are roughly North-South oriented (Emirates, Etihad, Stadium of Light, Reebok etc). Ironically the obvious one that isn't is Wembley but I assume that is because its so high there aren't the same problems with glare from the sun. So I don't think anyone would consider rotating the pitch at the Etihad.

west didsblue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

FA guidelines for stadium design say that the optimum orientation of the pitch is 345 degrees (nearly North-South) and most new stadiums are roughly North-South oriented (Emirates, Etihad, Stadium of Light, Reebok etc). Ironically the obvious one that isn't is Wembley but I assume that is because its so high there aren't the same problems with glare from the sun. So I don't think anyone would consider rotating the pitch at the Etihad.

Yeh I read this somewhere, and that is why the Main stand in nearly all grounds face the East. With Kick off times traditionally being 3pm, it would mean the Directors / managers, Prawn Sandwich'ers would not have the sun in the eyes. Whereas the people in the cheaper stand, Kippax / East stand will have to put up with the sun in their eyes.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Why oh why oh why do people still think Prawn Sandwiches are posh!!!!!

99p from Boots

99p @ Boots. £300.00 @ The Swamp. ; ).

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Why oh why oh why do people still think Prawn Sandwiches are posh!!!!!

99p from Boots

Haha - finally. It's a bleeding 'Iceland' entry level snack.
Probably needs updating. Organic goji berries with hummus on artisan rye bread?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.