Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Not all, but most.

Remember Brexit 2016? I work in a place that was a polling station that day. At 8am there were zimmer frames and walking sticks everywhere, whilst the 18-23s stayed in bed. They are regretting that now, yes?
They regretted it that night, but your proposition is that they'll become more fascist as they age.

And there was I, thinking you'd take exception to the implication that you were a bit of a fascist, and you admit it!

I find this view so very sad.

You, and I, are lucky to be born into a country that is not war-torn, famine stricken, fault-line destroyed, or climate eroded. Is it not your duty, desire, and responsibility to offer a helping hand to members of the same species who are struck by such disadvantage, especially given that we are part of the world that supplies the waste and weaponry that helps to create those conditions?
I find that view (his not yours) fucking hilarious. How he has come to the conclusion that 30p, Sue Ellen and the Dalek speak for most people must either be the result of years of smoking very strong weed, being thick as pigshit or living in somewhere like Stoke.

I find that view (his not yours) fucking hilarious. How he has come to the conclusion that 30p, Sue Ellen and the Dalek speak for most people must either be the result of years of smoking very strong weed, being thick as pigshit or living in somewhere like Stoke.
It isn't that they speak for most people, it is the thought that what they say has merit, that it is somehow right and just. If the majority of people really think that way, our society is lost.

Well that is one opinion.

Another is that she and indeed her predecessor (Priti Patel) and Lee Anderson - the new deputy party chairman - speak for most people*

Actually according to You Gov polls they do not, that is not an opinion its counting. Allowing more refugees from war torn countries polled at 33% for more, 30% for about what we have, 19% for less. 12% for none.

If you add 12 to 19 you get 31, barely a third is not most people.

55% Polled believed it was fine for immigrants to work in the NHS

Only 13% of those polled thought we should not allow refugees to join family who lived here.

. But the trouble is, the civil service, the fake Tory MPs (who should really be in the Lib-Dem party) & charities such as Care4Calais (why has that not been shut-down?) act against the majority view. I thought I lived in a democratic country, but I'm not sure I do.
The civil service is non political, blaming them for poor government policy is like blaming the ball boys for City playing badly.

You want charities shut down because they go against your views, not the majority views as has been established. I suppose you want the RNLI closed down too.

"fake tory MPs" are they made out of plasticine? They always seem to make it through the voting lobbies to vote forthe latest Tory callousness.
*Not most on here of course - this is (mostly) for young people, but in just a few years time a quater of the UK population will be over-65 and most of them think in a similar way to me, which is why Braverman/Badinoch/Anderson and people with similar views are playing the long game.
Not me I get more left wing and more anti Tory as my years progress and I am an old **** now.

It is really important to note that the recent defector from the Conservative Party has said that its intention is to wage a culture war, intensifying division, as the only way it believes that it can have an impact on the next election. Effectively, it is saying that it wishes to further harm the nation for its own ends.
They like the GOP in the US have been backing themselves into a corner as the demographics change. The culture war is the politics of revisionism. The current generations are increasingly progressive and they think that a push back is a vote winner. Well it will increasingly be vote loser.

It is really important to note that the recent defector from the Conservative Party has said that its intention is to wage a culture war, intensifying division, as the only way it believes that it can have an impact on the next election. Effectively, it is saying that it wishes to further harm the nation for its own ends.
It's been obvious that's the only tactic available to them for a year or so now. It's why they included a comment about migrants in their little "manifesto" when Sunak took charge. the impact of the boats coming over is of course absolutely negligable and it's significance is laughable compared to the real issue the country actually faces.

Frustrating as it is, it's also why Labour needs to keep quiet on the gammon-triggering issues like gay/trans rights, the customs union, immigration etc. If they get sucked into this culture war the right wing press will wade in and stoke up those of lower intelligence, and they can swing an election.

Frustrating as it is, it's also why Labour needs to keep quiet on the gammon-triggering issues like gay/trans rights, the customs union, immigration etc. If they get sucked into this culture war the right wing press will wade in and stoke up those of lower intelligence, and they can swing an election.
There's a risk in that approach though. If you never tackle those kinds of issues head on they remain under the surface, available for the right to pick up and run with whenever they feel like it. Let's face it, they don't really need an excuse. The trouble is knowing when to pick the battle.

The state elections we've just had in Berlin are a good example. The SPD, which leads a coalition of Green and Die Linke, is actually very centrist and 'sensible' on law and order and policing type issues, but they've still be portrayed by the CDU and right wing press as soft. On New Years Eve there was a spate of vandalism and kids being dickheads with fireworks (which is an annual tradition here) with reports in the press of arrest numbers and injuries to cops which turned out to be exaggerated. The press and the CDU turned it into a massive barely-concealed racist scandal in which they whipped up fears about immigrant youth and 'failed integration.' The party general secretary even proposed a new law to make it illegal for kids to speak langauges other than German in schoolyards. They jumped 10 points compared to 2021 and have a good shot of leading the next city government, depending on the coalition negotiations happening now.

As I said earlier, the culture wars will be played out and we need to be very careful:

DAN WOOTTON: Scheming Sturgeon's snivelling resignation is proof that embracing an extreme woke agenda then calling a male rapist 'her' is a ticket to political oblivion. She leaves the Scottish separatism cause in tatters​

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.