Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Apart from calling people racists because they don't have the same opinion as you? Shall we start with that?

Do you believe in passports?
Do you believe in controlled immigration?
Are you an open border advocate?
Do I believe the vast majority of people supporting this "stop the boat" bill are racist? Yes, yes I do. Racist to the point of making homemade molotov cocktails, putting through windows and handing out insidious propaganda? Obviously not, but given the hate that is being allowed to foment, there's still time. As with most human virtues and vices, there is a sliding scale. There is, undeniably, a casual racism that bubbles under the surface of this country; whether that's a generational consequence is another debate for another time, but it's there. Because how else can I explain to my nephews, who are about to enter their formative years, that the hate and angst directed at a group of persecuted peoples trying to form a safe life in a new country, whilst using a crummy hotel room as a temporary base, is borne of anything other than racism and xenophobia?

I'll tell you two things that are made up: the notion that we are being "invaded"; the people of Ukraine are being invaded, the people of Ukraine can feel legitimate grievance in this regard. We are not being invaded, so using such language is fascist propaganda.
And the 100million statistic. A gross mistruth meant to whip up the hate to an even more frenzied level. Assuming 1000 immigrants were arriving by boat everyday (there aren't), that would still take 270+ years for Cruella's statistic to be reached.

Do I believe the vast majority of people supporting this "stop the boat" bill are racist? Yes, yes I do. Racist to the point of making homemade molotov cocktails, putting through windows and handing out insidious propaganda? Obviously not, but given the hate that is being allowed to foment, there's still time. As with most human virtues and vices, there is a sliding scale. There is, undeniably, a casual racism that bubbles under the surface of this country; whether that's a generational consequence is another debate for another time, but it's there. Because how else can I explain to my nephews, who are about to enter their formative years, that the hate and angst directed at a group of persecuted peoples trying to form a safe life in a new country, whilst using a crummy hotel room as a temporary base, is borne of anything other than racism and xenophobia?

I'll tell you two things that are made up: the notion that we are being "invaded"; the people of Ukraine are being invaded, the people of Ukraine can feel legitimate grievance in this regard. We are not being invaded, so using such language is fascist propaganda.
And the 100million statistic. A gross mistruth meant to whip up the hate to an even more frenzied level. Assuming 1000 immigrants were arriving by boat everyday (there aren't), that would still take 270+ years for Cruella's statistic to be reached.

Not one answer to one question I posed to you, just a rant that bears no resemblance to a discussion.

Something needs to be done, there are a ridiculous amount of people coming in illegally.

Its not illegal to come. Read the facts

What number would you say was too much?

shall we say 1% of the total UK population

Are there many refugees and asylum seekers in the UK?​

No. According to UNHCR statistics, as of November 2022 there were 231,597 refugees, 127,421 pending asylum cases and 5,483  stateless persons  in the UK including recent Ukrainians refugees.

That’s only half a per cent (0.54%) of the UK’s total population.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.