Summer Transfers

We need balance as was shown earlier in the season when we were trying to shoehorn Silva, Kev and Gundogan into the same team and it rarely worked. I'd rather have a lad in the DM position who can control the ball and play passes to a higher standard then say, Fernando, so that they don't ruin the tactical play of the team or our ability to control a game, while also being able to fill in for some of Silva and Kev's weaknesses and protect the centre halves also. Dinho can do the first part but not the second, Yaya has successfully done both and it's improved the team.

None of the centre halves we've been linked with are what you'd call aerially dominant.
Not the same though. We easily could have played all 3 in the middle. The problem was forcing 1 of them wide where they weren't effective. It playing with 4 in midfield and 2 up top. Thus weakening the potential of our wingers.

And also in fairness, Sane hasn't flipped the switch yet. Which I think is a great reason we are so dynamic now.

I mean the notion of Yaya being a solid Pivot used to get laughed at all the time around here. I know this coz I used to be the one suggesting it would work and that our possession potential will blunt whatever defensive loss in strength that came from it.

Anyway, happy I was proved right on that point after being ridiculed ad nauseum.

Again I'm suggesting Silva or Isco will be even better than Yaya in my estimation. As they'd actually be slightly better defensively.

But that's all projections based on what I've seen this season.

As for our CBs not being aerily dominant. I'm not too worried. We seemed to hold up better than most teams in the air regardless of that fact.

I currently think it would be borderline insanity to let Yaya go. I'd rather let Dinho go than Yaya, as things stand. We have Fernando and Delph who could potentially both be replaced before looking at Dinho and Yaya; although we do have to factor in whatever the homegrown rules are and getting the squad to be the right size, including some breathing room for the kids.

Could be a fascinating summer.
If Pep domes good on his promise to shrink the senior squad, then you can expects lots of players to leave.

It seems to me it will be a lot easier to achie what goal by letting all ending contracts expire. Assuming the right replacements are found. If we get say Isco or even Tolisco, Yaya leaving wouldnt be hard to deal with
In my mind we'll probably have
5 forwards
5 Mids
6 defenders.
3 Goalies.
Thus
2 strikers (Aguero, Gabriel)
3 Wingers (Sterling, Sane, Mbappe)
5 CMs(Debryune, Silva, Dihno, Gundogan, Isco)
3 FB:
3 CBS
3 Gks

To be fair, I think Silva is going to be the Pivot, but Isco can play it too. And might be defensively superior to Silva.

Also 1) Stones should be better 2) and Laporte would be the partner either based on my incoming.

Also I wouldn't lie to you, I'm not a big proponent of plugging every weakness. If we are weak in the air at DM but better at controlling play and creating chances because of it, I'm okay with that. What matters is what adds up to the best team.

I'd rather we strengthen what we are good at and become great at it. So make our wing play dynamic and scary fast - Sane, Sterling, Mbappe. Play smoother out of the back and our of pressure: Bravo/Ederson, Laporte/Stones/ Ota, Bernat/Grimaldo, Semedo/Perreira. Control and Creativity in the middle ( Silva, Debryune, Gundogan, Isco, Dihno) And technique and deadlines up top Aguero, Jesus

That in my mind gives us our best team.

I think we have to be cautious in summer with the way we go about the signings, e.g with a back line of Ederson, Semedo, Stones, Laporte, Bernat...or anything similar, we'd be devoid of top game experience and leadership. This is why I think someone like Bonucci would do more good to our side than a Laporte, but only if we could manage to get him at a decent price. He would bring experience and most importantly a voice in that defence, exactly what we have been missing since Vinny. Plus I think Stones would develop quicker with him by his side.

For no 6., I would like Nzonzi or Fabinho, the latter can cover various positions and I'm sure he could do a pivot like job that Yaya's been doing but with a better defensive cover to our backline. Gundogan and Fabinho for that Pivot position while Silva to slowly pass on the torch to Isco.

For rb, I initially was impressed by Sidibe but his performance the other night left me underwhelmed. I think we have been recently linked with Cancelo who I think I read is also on Barca's radar. I have seen few of his games recently and have been impressed with what I saw. So Cancelo as a main Rb with Fabinho to cover in when needed.

Ederson/Willy at GK
Cancelo/Fabinho for rb
Stones/Bonucci/Nico/Kolarov for CB
Bernat/young LB or Kolarov ?
Fabinho/Gundogan/Dinho/Silva/Isco/De Bruyne to cover the midfield, and Fabinho as a utility player to cover various positions.
Aguero/Jesus/Sane/Raz to cover front 3 with Isco as a backup Wing option.
I don't think we'll be allowed to do a double by Monaco, they are not short of money and they are excellent negotiators. So I don't think Mbappe would be doable. Also considering we have already invested in Jesus and Sane, I don't believe we need another project any time soon.

That makes it a squad of 20 with enough room for youngsters like Garcia/Roberts/Maffeo or maybe even Mooy.
Even after all that I think we'll be short of a backup LB as I don't think we have anyone suitable in the academy to fill up that role.

Looking at the players I've put up, we are looking at an investment of around 180m , make it to 200 at a stretch.
35m for Ederson
25m for Cancelo
30m for Fabinho
25m for Bernat
35m for Bonucci
35m for Isco

I see Jack Butland is making his way back to recovery. English. Possible reserve keeper next season?

Be interesting to see what Pep does with the keeper situation & how/if Gunn actually gets game time in our first team.

Not the same though. We easily could have played all 3 in the middle. The problem was forcing 1 of them wide where they weren't effective. It playing with 4 in midfield and 2 up top. Thus weakening the potential of our wingers.

And also in fairness, Sane hasn't flipped the switch yet. Which I think is a great reason we are so dynamic now.

I mean the notion of Yaya being a solid Pivot used to get laughed at all the time around here. I know this coz I used to be the one suggesting it would work and that our possession potential will blunt whatever defensive loss in strength that came from it.

Anyway, happy I was proved right on that point after being ridiculed ad nauseum.

Again I'm suggesting Silva or Isco will be even better than Yaya in my estimation. As they'd actually be slightly better defensively.

But that's all projections based on what I've seen this season.

As for our CBs not being aerily dominant. I'm not too worried. We seemed to hold up better than most teams in the air regardless of that fact.
Silva in defensive midfield would be fine when we had the ball, we'd see plenty of teams tear through him on the counter though.

IN:
VVD 45M
Isco 30M
Ederson 30M
Bendy 25M
Aurier 25M
Fabinho 30M

Total:185M

OUT:

Hart 15M
Mangala 15M
Nasri 15M
Bony 15M
Delph10M
Fernando10M

Total:80M

Net Spent:105M

IN:
VVD 45M
Isco 30M
Ederson 30M
Bendy 25M
Aurier 25M
Fabinho 30M

Total:185M

OUT:

Hart 15M
Mangala 15M
Nasri 15M
Bony 15M
Delph10M
Fernando10M

Total:80M

Net Spent:105M

Delph, Fernando and Bony 35M ? Good luck on that one, if you can get 1/2 that, I think you will get a call from the Sheik offering you a job as Director of Football.

Silva in defensive midfield would be fine when we had the ball, we'd see plenty of teams tear through him on the counter though.
No more than they are doing to Yaya now. Who by the way is a far inferior defender compared to Silva.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.