Sun Jihai - your memories

I remember going to some players award thing at Coms (think it was player if the season). Anyway, we were in the car park near to the main entrance, waiting for players to arrive. All these nice cars are pulling up, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne etc then Sun pulls up in what looked like an old Vauxhall Frontera or something. Whatever it was it stood out compared to the other cars the players had arrived in.

He was a bit of an erratic player but gave his all pretty much every time he put on the blue shirt. There have been far worse players.
He had extended family over who complained how expensive everything was here. I assume he was keeping as much money as he could to take back.

He used to have 3 chinese people in their 20s at every away game during his time here, normally eneded up near me.

Always gave his all, unlike the majority of our squad during those years.

Gave his all despite having, erm, limited ability.

Will always remember that Chelsea game when he sprained his knee. He'd actually been in great form and was holding down a place in the side. Then that happened and he never really recovered. By the time he returned, Micah was on the scene.

Last edited:
I'll never forget when he changed his name to Jihai Sun. Never had the same ring to it.

Birmingham away where he got barged into by their striker who also went down and gave away a penalty somehow. Think we lost 3-1 despite them having ten men.

Very excited someone revived my thread 10 years on from when I started it! Another SJ memory from me: horrible game at home vs Arsenal 2003 when we were winning (Lauren og) and then a combination of David Semen and our multi-national non-English speaking defence (Chinese, French and German) let Arsenal in for 2 sloppy goals, basically due to total inability to communicate.

He had extended family over who complained how expensive everything was here. I assume he was keeping as much money as he could to take back.

He used to have 3 chinese people in their 20s at every away game during his time here, normally eneded up near me.
They sat in front of me at WHAM once, cheering madly whenever he touched the ball.

I am probably one of a select few that can say they met his parents. It was the last night game at Maine Road v Fulham and as an 11/12 year old lad I'd wait by the tunnel before the game to get my programme signed etc. We were there so early that night that training hadn't even started but we did get to see Mr and Mrs Sun Jihai sat behind the home dugout.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.