Tevez to return (Merged)

Re: City and Tevez nearing a compromise for his return (Mirror)

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Skashion said:
Strange thing to do. I like getting to know people around here. Still, each to their own.

As we all are.

If I've got robotic control of a player I'd make sure they didn't dive to win it, yes. Bad refereeing decision wouldn't bother me, as that's just luck evening itself out.

I grew up in the worst of the shite. I expect and want for nothing which means I can appreciate more when it does come. I prefer being me. Some people here are tragically as miserable and on edge as they ever were. Sad.

Not us. We can shape our own destiny like perhaps no other club in history. We're in full control. Let's be more positive.

Not me. I never felt sorry for myself as a City fan. I always wore out shirt proudly and I felt then as I do now that we're better than rags. This is not the feeling of years of pent up frustration at them being better. I genuinely would not swap places with them. The most important thing for me has always been being a City fan. Having that sense of identity, dare I say soul. It's formed me as a person. I am more resilient having had to stick it as a minority (being from outside Manchester). I am unafraid to take a minority position and hold my head up. I consider it to have formed my impish sense of humour as well. As fans that is our identity. We are loyal and we make the best of things. Try to keep a sense of humour. That to me, is worth a thousand times more than "MCFC 2011/12 WINNERS".

Fortunately, I can do as they do not seem to me to be some sort of schism with the past. I think the management and owners appreciate what we are. We are different, we are not like them, we don't need to be, and I don't think most of us want to be. We're blues.

It's perhaps a different argument, for a different day.

But I would strongly disagree that you coming from outside Manchester gives you a greater sense of resilience.

Living on the doorstep and watching United win everything in sight, that's purgatory, seven days a week?

The gallows humour which made up part of your love, is precisely because we had nothing else to talk about.

Look at what Everton's own narrative is these days!

Seriously, I admire the sentiment, but City is not the club we first fell in love with.

I'm glad I did, although I had little choice in the matter, regardless, the manager and the owners are seemingly now more pragmatic than your preference to keep a sense of humour, at the expense of seeing our name written large on this season's Premier League trophy.

I genuinely do admire your idealism, but from my own take on life, love alone does not heat the house or put food on the table.

So what you're saying, is that you'd be happy to become that thing that we've prided ourselves on being different from for the last thirty years?

You've lost your head recently Tolm.

City as a club are bigger than trophies, Sheiks and players. I think you've forgotten that.
This, in nuce is the reason why I don't think he should be allowed to wear the sky-blue shirt again. Football is not about putting food on the table, it's about how people identify themselves. I, for one, don't identify myself with the kind of degenerate individual that is Carlos Tevez.

Skashion said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

But I would strongly disagree that you coming from outside Manchester gives you a greater sense of resilience.

Living on the doorstep and watching United win everything in sight, that's purgatory, seven days a week?

The gallows humour which made up part of your love, is precisely because we had nothing else to talk about.

Seriously, I admire the sentiment, but City is not the club we first fell in love with.

I'm glad I did, although I had little choice in the matter, regardless, the manager and the owners are seemingly now more pragmatic than your preference to keep a sense of humour, at the expense of seeing our name written large on this season's Premier League trophy.

I genuinely do admire your idealism, but from my own take on life, love alone does not heat the house or put food on the table.
I think it's directly relevant and the perfect time to have the debate. Don't think any minds will be changed though.

Outside of Manchester so no blues in my corner, but plenty of plastic rags rubbing it in. Purgatory on my own without the support system. I had to go it alone. Literally the only blue in my school. I'd catch it from all the Blackburn fans too. Only the Burnley fans were any relief. Not the same as being backed up by blues though.

Indeed, but now we have it, let's keep it. So far there's been no issue.

It is to me.

There's no issue with the fans. I see no issue at matches. It's been a great season as a fan. There's an issue with whether the club will stoop to the level that drives the rags to throw the Munich victim's families out of their houses and have the anniversary sponsored by AIG or whether we go the Barcelona route and invest in youth and the community and be the good guys. We seem to be taking the latter approach and having some moral convictions. Tevez so far has been given short shrift as have other disruptive cunts been shown the door.

and we return to your straw man once more... We do not have to be the rags to be successful. Other clubs generate their success in more agreeable ways.

bang on fella

Tevez will make no difference as to whether we win the league or not in my opinion.

All bringing him back will do, is cause a negative reaction from the fans and then it will be in the press all week.

hilts said:
Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

So what you're saying, is that you'd be happy to become that thing that we've prided ourselves on being different from for the last thirty years?

City as a club are bigger than trophies, Sheiks and players. I think you've forgotten that.

unfortunately a lot of fans on here have which is a shame really, there desperation saddens me because i thought we were better, bluemoon is becoming hard work nowadays
Why would backing the manager if he feels ok about allowing Tevez back make us one and the same as the rags?

Too many precious self-righteous people getting their knickers in a twist.

Allowing Tevez to play is nothing like the behaviour of the rags this season, let alone post-Munich.

Personally, there are two sides to the argument; one emotional, the other - as with any other addition to the squad - does he improve the team?

I'll have to suck it up and be philosophical about the emotional argument:
If he comes back, he comes back.
I'll respect the shirt on his back; cheer on the crest on his chest.
The man wearing will mean nothing to me.

From a purely footballing point of view: He may be a twat but he has the talent to improve any team. This could be a masterstroke by Mancini and give the squad a timely boost. Imagine going top this evening (please God) and knowing that we have three world class players* due to return to our side for the run in.
*(including the Toures. Again: please God, they'll be injury free)

SWP's back said:
Allowing Tevez to play is nothing like the behaviour of the rags this season, let alone post-Munich.

Does seem a little odd to compare the rags exploitation of the Munich disaster as a means to generate funds with City considering bringing Tevez back into the fold...

BillyShears said:
It was always going to be the case that if we didn't grant him a move in January, Roberto would be faced with the tough decision about what to do with him. Personally I think it is an extremely risky move trying to reintegrate such a volatile and unpredictable character into the squad at such a crucial juncture in the season, but if the manager feels he can do it then so be it.

I'm not sure I'm anything other than ambivalent when it comes to the perceived morality or lack of it in supporting a team with Carlos in it. What's best for the club is what gives the club the best chance of winning. If the club as a whole feel that having Carlos playing for us will give us a better chance of the league title this season then I don't think anything else comes into consideration for me.

The first title will be the biggest, and the one which changes a lot of things for City. Much like after Mou's first title at Chelsea, all the talk of money stops when you're champions. No more sneering about players joining for the wrong reasons. No more questions about having a winning mentality. Not for the players themselves, nor from outside the club. The FA Cup was a giant step forward in terms of ridding ourselves of the monkey which was previously on our back about having not collected a trophy in thirty odd years. Nobody mentions Tevez when they talk about that trophy. Nobody talks about his transfer requests. The league will be the same and then some. If we bring him back and win it, his coming back will be nothing more than a footnote in our history as he'll still be gone in the summer.

Of course it all hinges on us winning the title. Bring him back and stutter and questions will no doubt get asked about whether bringing him back had an adverse effect. Not an easy situation for Roberto all in all, but one I'm in no doubt he can handle...
Very fair assessment Billy

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Skashion said:
Strange thing to do. I like getting to know people around here. Still, each to their own.

As we all are.

If I've got robotic control of a player I'd make sure they didn't dive to win it, yes. Bad refereeing decision wouldn't bother me, as that's just luck evening itself out.

I grew up in the worst of the shite. I expect and want for nothing which means I can appreciate more when it does come. I prefer being me. Some people here are tragically as miserable and on edge as they ever were. Sad.

Not us. We can shape our own destiny like perhaps no other club in history. We're in full control. Let's be more positive.

Not me. I never felt sorry for myself as a City fan. I always wore out shirt proudly and I felt then as I do now that we're better than rags. This is not the feeling of years of pent up frustration at them being better. I genuinely would not swap places with them. The most important thing for me has always been being a City fan. Having that sense of identity, dare I say soul. It's formed me as a person. I am more resilient having had to stick it as a minority (being from outside Manchester). I am unafraid to take a minority position and hold my head up. I consider it to have formed my impish sense of humour as well. As fans that is our identity. We are loyal and we make the best of things. Try to keep a sense of humour. That to me, is worth a thousand times more than "MCFC 2011/12 WINNERS".

Fortunately, I can do as they do not seem to me to be some sort of schism with the past. I think the management and owners appreciate what we are. We are different, we are not like them, we don't need to be, and I don't think most of us want to be. We're blues.

Thirty-odd years in which we've won fuck all apart from becoming everyone's favourite losers? I've been supporting City all my life and what I've not forgotten is the pain of abject failure, the even greater pain of being unable to stop my two eldest sons becoming Rags because they didn't want to be the butt of their friends jokes when they were kids when we were absolutely shit.

As Tolmie said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be a loser anymore and actually wanting to win things even if it means having to stomach the abhorrent Tevez and all he stands for for the next 3 months!!

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Skashion said:

As we all are.

Mate, would you not consider it extremely arrogant to pass comment on my supposed state of mind, or any other poster for that matter?

It makes me no less of a fan to admit I want us to become one of the biggest clubs in the world and win everything in sight.

I support City because I want to win, otherwise what is the point? I'm sure the owners and players aren't in it for some moral crusade.

I've forgotten nothing. If anything, I remember everything, and that's why it is possibly hard for some Blues to accept this club wants and will move closer to what United have become.

Having grown up in Moss Side it may come as a surprise but City did fuck all for my community, and blues in my schools were heavily outnumbered by Reds and Liverpool fans even then (with reference to Skashion's own isolated experiences)

What City means to supporters is entirely personal, so I'm pretty pissed at accusations I am somehow now doing this wrongly after 37 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.