the aftermath

Soulboy said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I've not read the whole thread, my guess is that someone has already posted this.

The players have been in total confusion about who would be in charge next season for months. In fact they were absolutely adamant he was keeping the seat warm for someone. It was openly discussed in the dressing room.

The last 2 weeks, as the run-in has hotted up, several messages have gone out to them individually to get behind Mancini as he is the man. TH is now reporting last night it went to them all.

It's all been a fucking mess and has not helped our push for Europe. The men at the top should have questions put to them about this.

You make a very good point about the "men at the top" having questions asked about them.

I couldn't agree more. There have been way too many major errors of judgement and communications at the very top of the club over the past two years and I fear we will never fully achieve our potential with the current overly large and competing management structure in place at the present time.

Far too many fingers in pies, lack of clarity in directiuon and strategy, too many competing interests trying to maintain their empires.

We all believed that when the owners took over we would wipe away the confusion and inflexibility of the previous City regimes, where relatively small shareholdings ultimately resulted in a lack of clear objectives and everyone "pulling together"

I believed that a single owner, such as we have, would bring the impetus to forge ahead in a modern management structure... whereas in reality we have too many "managers" reporting to an owner that is possible innocent in the ways of running a football club.

We have too many inexperienced members of the board, and the opportunities for a "fast talking salesman" to convince them that his way is the best way is palpable. The problem doeesn't lie on the footballing side, it lies with a CEO who is out of his depth.

He appointed a Football Administrator (whatever that means...) and a Technical Director, all of whom have a say in transfer targets. Is this the best approach? I remain to be convinced.

The most successful football clubs have the minimum amount of people making the big decisions... are we doiung it that way or are we overburdened with the "voices in ears" style of management?

I could list Cook's faux pas', but we all already know them. But this latest episode only confirms my view that to make significant progress as a world class football organisation we need to employ the right person at that level for the job.

And I don't believe that is Garry Cook.

Nicely put post and for me the problem lies below:

Gary Cook: experienced in buisness........inexperienced in the game
Brian Marwood: experienced in the game.........inexperienced in buisness

In my opinion the above are out of there depth in what we're trying to achieve.
This will upset a few but love him or hate him the man that can do the job of both Cook and Marwood is Peter Kenyon.
Kenyon is both experienced in the buisness and the game with transfer dealings, he's a hard man with dealings (some say ruthless) and just what we need in our situation.
He could do the job of both men and also knows how to deal with ambitious owners.........

Danamy said:
Soulboy said:
You make a very good point about the "men at the top" having questions asked about them.

I couldn't agree more. There have been way too many major errors of judgement and communications at the very top of the club over the past two years and I fear we will never fully achieve our potential with the current overly large and competing management structure in place at the present time.

Far too many fingers in pies, lack of clarity in directiuon and strategy, too many competing interests trying to maintain their empires.

We all believed that when the owners took over we would wipe away the confusion and inflexibility of the previous City regimes, where relatively small shareholdings ultimately resulted in a lack of clear objectives and everyone "pulling together"

I believed that a single owner, such as we have, would bring the impetus to forge ahead in a modern management structure... whereas in reality we have too many "managers" reporting to an owner that is possible innocent in the ways of running a football club.

We have too many inexperienced members of the board, and the opportunities for a "fast talking salesman" to convince them that his way is the best way is palpable. The problem doeesn't lie on the footballing side, it lies with a CEO who is out of his depth.

He appointed a Football Administrator (whatever that means...) and a Technical Director, all of whom have a say in transfer targets. Is this the best approach? I remain to be convinced.

The most successful football clubs have the minimum amount of people making the big decisions... are we doiung it that way or are we overburdened with the "voices in ears" style of management?

I could list Cook's faux pas', but we all already know them. But this latest episode only confirms my view that to make significant progress as a world class football organisation we need to employ the right person at that level for the job.

The camel is a horse designed by committee. And not getting into the Champions League is a pretty fucking big camel. This all comes down to the different strategies, short-termism vs longevity, and I don't think anyone at Boardroom level this season has a grasp of either.

Player-wise, we've got to get back to basics. If anyone thinks they're too big for this football club, then they should leave. I'd like to hear the club state explicitly what kind of player we'll be going after now - I'd like to think the club will adopt the policy Chelsea did in Mourinho's first season, European unknowns, young and hungry, and our own youth players. It's more sustainable as a transfer policy; moreover it'll go some way to restoring the club's image. Too often, we've been labelled 'the wrong Manchester'.

Danamy said:

This will upset a few but love him or hate him the man that can do the job of both Cook and Marwood is Peter Kenyon.
Kenyon is both experienced in the buisness and the game with transfer dealings, he's a hard man with dealings (some say ruthless) and just what we need in our situation.
He could do the job of both men and also knows how to deal with ambitious owners.........

I'd be very surprised if both of them left the club this summer. One of them, maybe, but not both.

As for Kenyon, he has the qualifications no doubt - but ultimately he was Roman's yes man, just as whoever our CEO is, will be the Sheikh's yes man.

Lets not forget that Abramovich sacked Scolari whilst Kenyon was on holiday...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
The powers-that-be came in to the dressing room shortly after final whistle.

EVERYONE was congratulated, and thanked for giving the fans and the owner a season of rich promise.

EVERYONE was told nothing will divert them from their path of making us the very best

EVERYONE was told they have a future at City if they want it, and promised exciting things ahead this summer and some things were well progressed.

Most notably, EVERYONE was told Mancini will still be the manager.

Some of the players found it refereshing, others not so. Whether this was down to the pain of defeat, or the assertion that Bobby was staying on, no clue.

Mancini told them to believe it will be us next time.

I would find it astonishing if there was any U-turn on this based on the definitive way they made things out so plainly.

Good news. Onwards and upwards.

Danamy said:
Soulboy said:

Just the very man...

Does anyone know when he is available to work again in football? Didn't Chelsea put some restrictions on him when he left?

If you want to be the best, you have to employ the best...<br /><br />-- Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
Soulboy said:
Don't disagree that Khaldoon/ADUG are the decision makers... don't disagree that they need to have a more hands-on presence in and around the club.. but they pay the CEO in excess of a cool mill per annum to do that job for them and I believe he doesn't sit in that role well enough.

His hands might be tied, be he still has a figurehead role at the club, all communications should emanate from him, and I feel our communications strategy is piss-poor at the moment.

Wasn't it you that stated only a few days ago that we were letting the media have an easy ride in belittling City? I agree. So why doesn't our CEO take a lead on this matter? It's his responsibility, and his lack of action suggests he must be content with our relationship with the media... which is surprising to be fair!

Cook has known for months now about the speculation regarding Mancini and should have been more proactive in dealing with it. But he didn't.

So what is his job if it's not communications?

If his hands are truly tied, then he should resign as a mater of honour and go and work for an organisation that respects him and allows him to manage effectively. A bit of a cop-out at that level to suggest "I am only taking orders"...

You know, I like Garry Cook. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he gets a raw deal.

You're right, our communication/pr strategy has been garbage since the Hughes sacking. But would replacing Cook really rectify that? It's an honest question...

If we both agree that our communications /pr strategy is garbage, then either Cook falls on his sword as he has the responsibility for that area of the club... or he employs qualified and experienced people to do the job for him.

It's not only at the board level where we are stacked out with inexperienced amateurs in running an organisation such as ours, but the communications team needs to employ some "aggressive" operators in that world as we seem to be staffed with the cast of Mary Poppins!

We had a litany of errors under previous regimes, who all claimed they were hidebound by our financial limitations... well that excuse no longer cuts it.

To be a word class organisation, as is our stated claim, then PR is absolutely essential. And we are operating like innocents in a world of sharks.

I'm sure Garry Cook is a decent bloke.. a few mates have had dealings with him and won't hear a word against him... but that's not how he should be judged. If we want a fan-friendly "announcer" then give him that job, and let us get on with appointing Peter Kenyon or David Dein to do the important stuff.

BillyShears said:
Danamy said:

I'd be very surprised if both of them left the club this summer. One of them, maybe, but not both.

As for Kenyon, he has the qualifications no doubt - but ultimately he was Roman's yes man, just as whoever our CEO is, will be the Sheikh's yes man.

Lets not forget that Abramovich sacked Scolari whilst Kenyon was on holiday...

I know what your saying Billy but i get a feeling that if one goes the other will shortly follow, just a feeling that's all.
Obviously Kenyon would be employed by the club and the Sheikh would have the final say on all matters, but to me there's yes men and there's yes men!
There's the one's that do what there told without any other input into the matter or there's the one's that have balls to speak up for themselves and advise or discuss what's best for the club even if it's against the owners beliefs!

I would put Cook in the fore and Kenyon in the latter....

Seeing as it has been covered in here, what exactly is it that Marwood does? To me he just seems like a shadowy figure at the club who is in a powerful position with no clear area of accountability. Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it.

avoidconfusion said:
Pigeonho said:
Effin Love Tolmie's Hairdoo me. 'came into the dressing room'. You were there then? I'm going to have a game and guess you are a player? I'm going to go for Nedum, simply because that is the first name to pop in my head. I don't believe in ITK's, but you certainly must be someone connected to the club, very much connected based on the way you phrased your post. Nice one.
Keep us all up to date with up and coming transfers.

Just read my post through and comes across a bit sarccy, its not meant too, its a genuine post.

Not sure if he is a player but probably someone who is very close with one of the players.

works in media<br /><br />-- Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 pm --<br /><br />
Prestwich_Blue said:
Soulboy said:
It's management-speak. It's a way of rallying the troops.

Just read between the lines... "Everyone was told they have a future at City IF THEY WANT IT..." which means, simply, if you're happy sat on the bench or in the reserves, that's your call.

Or it means they have to come up to the mark and prove "they want it".

I wouldn't get too tied down with the semantics. The axe is being sharpened as we speak...
I can certainly understand the bit about if they don't think it's for them then off you toddle but if people are being paid the salaries some of our players are being played and aren't up to it (and if Mancini should know by now who they are) then they're out. Full stop. End of story. Whether they fancy being on the bench or not.

I'd call each established player in if I were Mancini and give him one of four options:
1) You're good enough and your attitude is right. There's a place here for you in the first team squad. do you want it?

IMO those players would be Hart, Zab, Lescott, De Jong, Kompany, Bellamy, Tevez, Barry, A Johnson, Onouha.

2) I think you have the right attributes but you still need to convince me and step up a level. Here's what you need to do.

My list would be:
Given, Bridge, Richards, Toure.

3) I think you have it but for various reasons you've got to do a lot to convince me and have to remain fit, get some games in and show me your best shot. Do that and you're in otherwise it's the door.

Ireland, M Johnson, Santa Cruz, SWP.

4) You don't figure in my plans. Goodbye

Robinho, Adebayor, Petrov, Sylvinho, Vieira, Garrido plus any off the (b) list who aren't likely to be able to step up to the plate.

Then there's the loanees. I'd give Bojinov the nod over Adebayor if he wants it. Caicedo I like but is probably surplus to requirements. Weiss certainly deserves a few games and I'd put him on List 2.

Then there's the youngsters who he needs to tell that there are a lot of games to go round this season and they will get a chance, particularly if some off list 2 & 3 don't do the business.

I'd give Bojinov the nod over Adebayor if he wants it.
=================================
You made sense until this bollocks.....
never ever in a million years!

BillyShears said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
To be fair, Dan, you did say couple weeks ago this was on the cards.

However, the first real definitive across the board address to the entire playing staff, came about 15 minutes after the final whistle last night.

It was not a case of trying to convince people that Mourinho was coming.

For my own final reckoning, I can tell you the moves towards Jose have been very real for many months.

I think it's far too easy and just a little childish to start the "I told you so" posts. Especially considering it is a fact that two weeks ago neither the players nor Mancini knew he was staying.

Danamy did.... FACT!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.