The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Got me thinking about Fashion Nugget as a future nomination! If the greatest cover version in the history of popular music can't convince Rob of the glory of a good cover nothing will.
They are very talented but a bit like the Presidents Of The United States Of America or They Might Be Giants could have evolved a bit more from the quirky joke stuff I think. Not that I don’t like that stuff — I very much do. But I think they rooted themselves to having a good time. Again, far better that than taking themselves too seriously. To be fair TMBG did evolve some but weren’t as hooky in the new iterations.

Not liking and not being able to appreciate are two different things :)

Steven Tyler can sing; unlike Leonard Cohen ;)
On the evidence of the album nominated for this thread (or was it BlueHammer’s Top 1100?), Cohen’s lyrics are more misoginystic than Tyler’s.

Reactions: OB1
I absolutely love Rocks and this album would sit easily in my top 10 of all time. It still kicks ass and swaggers like Dua Lipa in a catsuit.

Reactions: OB1
It's a mixture, thread specific and general themes. During the course of the week, the protagonist returns back to the music threads as (mostly) sanctuary from the rest of the madness. The working titles are...

1. Nomination Day
  2. Match Thread
  3. Atmosphere
  4. Bimbo’s Bathroom
  5. Brick It, Smash It, Torch It, Claim It
  6. Gated Reverb 80's Hell
  7. You Know The Rules (Readers Wives)
  8. You F******g Clown (AKA Politics)
  9. 808 Playlist
  10. Where have all the Bosnians Gone?
  11. How Can You Miss Someone You’ve Never Met?
  12. The Scores Are In
  13. One Love

As concepts go I do accept it's pretty niche.
I got almost?/about a third? of those references, so I'm feeling almost partial.

(and I'm loving that FFS hidden bonus track too!)

I wish I could be like Foggy in the sense of (a) being able to take in the dock of the bay on my commute and more relevantly (b) not giving a crap about the vocals when the music is good.

Because Mr Tyler is doing my head in at times on this. Probably the most egregious example being the opener; a really strong interesting piece of music then ST joins in with a high pitched howl, no problem with that it fits what's going on. Then in short turn he howls again, still no problem with it, he can scream well and it's clearly a preferred form of expressing himself. Ten screams later and it's beginning to sound like some form of musical tourettes.

There's a reason why it works so well when Daltry eventually screams on Won't Get Fooled Again and that's because he hasn't spend the entire previous 8 minutes doing it.

Songs that require prolonged screaming and wailing are fine when it's an integral part of the song but this just feels like I haven't had a scream for 15 seconds so now would be a good time.

I completely accept that someone saying 'FFS dial it in a bit Steven' would have been one of the most futile statements in the history of music but it's winding me up at the moment.

Hoping that with repeated listening I become immune to it cause this has some good stuff on it.

Nah, that'll probably be the new one I've started work on, working title Radicalised Fanbase Blues. Could be a banger but if it ever did see the light of day I'd need a justgiving page to cover my legal costs.
How about the catchy little ditty (with banjos and accordion):-

"If you've given it half a point then you've not had a full listen"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.