The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

That album and the one that followed are by-passed imho by some Yes fans, who can seem a bit obsessed with the likes of Close To The Edge, Tales, Relayer, which personally I can take or leave.
Best 3 Yes albums for me would be The Yes Album, GFTO, and 90125.

In my post above, I wasn’t dismissing the other tracks on GFTO - I also love Parallels for example, which sounds particularly good on Yesshows - it’s just that Awaken is off the scale for me!
GFTO is my favourite album by a mile.
All five tracks are very strong. Wish I could do a review right now but Parallels for me is the best track ever.
As for Genesis I love Watcher of the Skies and Get them out by Friday via Genesis live so can’t really rate this album.
As for Suppers Ready I’ll raise you Gates of Delirium or Awaken

GFTO is my favourite album by a mile.
All five tracks are very strong. Wish I could do a review right now but Parallels for me is the best track ever.
As for Genesis I love Watcher of the Skies and Get them out by Friday via Genesis live so can’t really rate this album.
As for Suppers Ready I’ll raise you Gates of Delirium or Awaken
Not for me with Delerium; there are no parts of it that reach the emotional shivers that parts of Supper and Awaken can achieve, but yep, agree overall pal.
Like with Genesis their epics were equally good live, and you can’t say that with all bands. Of all the live bootlegs I’ve heard from Yes, the Wembley Empire Pool (Arena) shows from 78 that were recorded and broadcast on the Friday Rock Show was by far the best.
Have a listen to the version of Awaken on here. Magnificent!

Last edited:
Not for me with Delerium; there are no parts of it that reach the emotional shivers that parts of Supper and Awaken can achieve, but yep, agree overall pal.
Like with Genesis their epics were equally good live, and you can’t say that with all bands. Of all the live bootlegs I’ve heard from Yes, the Wembley Empire Pool (Arena) shows from 78 that were recorded and broadcast on the Friday Rock Show was be far the best.

Agree with all this. But think that Awaken had to be seen live to fully understand it's magnificence. Never fully captured on record...

Like with Genesis their epics were equally good live, and you can’t say that with all bands. Of all the live bootlegs I’ve heard from Yes, the Wembley Empire Pool (Arena) shows from 78 that were recorded and broadcast on the Friday Rock Show was be far the best.

I do remember waiting patiently with my little radio for what seemed like hours that evening.
I was 15 years old at the time and that concert just took me to another level.
Maybe at their prime live in 1978 ?

Agree with all this. But think that Awaken had to be seen live to fully understand it's magnificence. Never fully captured on record...
If you read the history of the recording with Wakeman in St. Martin’s church in Vevey and the rest of the band in Montreaux with a telephone wire rented between them, what’s captured on the record is all the more remarkable.
The power of the church organ on that album as a whole is what really makes it, I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.