The battle for 4th place

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a doom and gloom merchant and still believe we might get 4th spot. However, I just don't buy into this notion that we are only one good performance/result away from turning the corner. The reality is that we are just as likely to continue rolling with the punches to seasons end then getting a grip of things and putting in a strong finish. I think the first week back after the break could prove crucial. A defeat down in Bournemouth may prove to be a bridge to far with respect to CL aspirations. With the PSG match on the horizon one wonders where both the managers and players minds may really be ?

Aguero and Fernandino only just back from very long flights too.

Peps first task will now be to restore us to the 2012/13 levels pre-Pellegrini. Stage 2 will be to improve on that baseline. Huge task -wish it was starting today.

If he is supported in the market as he can be and we start seriously looking at youth then I see no reason why they cannot happen.

I expect us to be better than we were under RM and MP at their best.

You mean you disagree with them therefore they are wrong. It's nothing to do with being arseholes, more to do with wanting the club to be the best it can be, and we are clearly underachieving with the current squad.
I've supported the team through thick, thin and very thin and I think the negativity of the current situation is worth commenting on. Honest appraisal is not being an arsehole - blindly accepting the shit we've seen for too much of this season is, as is assuming everybody who disagrees has "no brains" or "spotty, jezza kyle watching keyboard warriors".
More to the point, I've yet to see a reasoned argument as to why we'll finish 4th. KDB and Nasri may be returning but it will take a while for them to get full match fitness and we're without Vince, Sterling, Otto etc.

Exactly right. Puts the previous page of self righteous tosh into perspective

... we need to scale down our expectations for next season. It will not be easy for Pep given the amount of change needed. Notwithstanding Pellers mismanagement, the fact remains that a lot of the squad are either going over the top or not good enough. What I do hope for however is a fit for purpose flexible system and a degree of effort and work rate from the players that will energise us and give us hope that we have started back on an upwards trajectory rather than the stagnation and decline that has come to characterise Pellers tenure

I'd have to agree with that, although I think we have some players who are good enough, but who just aren't being used correctly. What's the point of having pacey wingers and have them cutting inside and playing the ball backwards because our manager has told them to not lose possession and favour the slow build up play?

Looking at our squad, you'd have to say Aguero is top drawer, obviously. Likewise De Bruyne. I think Sterling and Navas can do a job and are just being misused. Iheanacho will only get better and is also a keeper. Fernandino, excellent.

After that, it's getting more tricky:

Bony - abysmal
Nasri - doesn't work hard enough and poor attitude? Get rid
Yaya - past it, get rid
Silva - jury's out. One of the worst players of the field for several games this season. Not played well for months. Will he ever regain the magic? Dunno.
Fernando - not good enough
Demichelis - worse than abysmal
Clichy - absolute dross, offers nothing
Kolarov - worse than Clichy
Ottamendi - maybe, just maybe a keeper
Kompany - will surely miss half of every season with injury - can we carry this?
Managala - glimmer of hope, but as it stands, not good enough
Hart - overrated. Good stopper, nothing else.
Caballero - not good enough

I'd have to agree with that, although I think we have some players who are good enough, but who just aren't being used correctly. What's the point of having pacey wingers and have them cutting inside and playing the ball backwards because our manager has told them to not lose possession and favour the slow build up play?

Looking at our squad, you'd have to say Aguero is top drawer, obviously. Likewise De Bruyne. I think Sterling and Navas can do a job and are just being misused. Iheanacho will only get better and is also a keeper. Fernandino, excellent.

After that, it's getting more tricky:

Bony - abysmal
Nasri - doesn't work hard enough and poor attitude? Get rid
Yaya - past it, get rid
Silva - jury's out. One of the worst players of the field for several games this season. Not played well for months. Will he ever regain the magic? Dunno.
Fernando - not good enough
Demichelis - worse than abysmal
Clichy - absolute dross, offers nothing
Kolarov - worse than Clichy
Ottamendi - maybe, just maybe a keeper
Kompany - will surely miss half of every season with injury - can we carry this?
Managala - glimmer of hope, but as it stands, not good enough
Hart - overrated. Good stopper, nothing else.
Caballero - not good enough

Other than Clichy,who I think is a decent back up,Mangala,who I am sure will be top class,and Hart,who is the least of our problems.....its difficult to argue with the above.

Pep will certainly prove his credentials here as,without doubt,he's got a proper job on his hands.

Other than Clichy,who I think is a decent back up,Mangala,who I am sure will be top class,and Hart,who is the least of our problems.....its difficult to argue with the above.

Pep will certainly prove his credentials here as,without doubt,he's got a proper job on his hands.

Mangala and Hart I would keep, given there's hope for Mangala and Joe is decent if not overrated.

But whereas I used to quite like Clichy, I've come to realise that going forward he offers absolutely nothing whatsoever. We might as well play 5 at the back. His defending is fair at best - he gets woefully out of position but at least has pace to try to recover. imho he wouldn't get in any of the top sides we're trying to emulate.

You mean you disagree with them therefore they are wrong. It's nothing to do with being arseholes, more to do with wanting the club to be the best it can be, and we are clearly underachieving with the current squad.
I've supported the team through thick, thin and very thin and I think the negativity of the current situation is worth commenting on. Honest appraisal is not being an arsehole - blindly accepting the shit we've seen for too much of this season is, as is assuming everybody who disagrees has "no brains" or "spotty, jezza kyle watching keyboard warriors".
More to the point, I've yet to see a reasoned argument as to why we'll finish 4th. KDB and Nasri may be returning but it will take a while for them to get full match fitness and we're without Vince, Sterling, Otto etc.
If you bothered to read my full post you'll see I dont think we will finish 4th!!! Just think some people need to man/grow up and stop thinking its the end of the world!!!! Sorry if that doesn't fit into calling an old man who has won us THREE trophies an OLD ****!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.