The beautiful West Coast Highlands of Scotland.

Who you kidding you tool can imagine you u in your kilt full beard still watching brave heart:)

I do have a beard actually, but a short, incredibly handsome one. Ask anybody.

As for Braveheart? It’s hollywood rewriting history. You would get more truth out of me coming in 4 hours late from the pub.

It is with a sense of heart bursting pride, that I am here to inform you of the delights of this part of my country.

I have been whisked up here from the east coast for a couple of days birthday treat.

Even the drive up here was magical, apart from getting stuck behind a wanker in a red Clio, who would have been able to go faster if he had hired the Anthill Mob. If you don’t know who they are ask your old man or dear.

Every time there was a chance to overtake on a stretch of road, oncoming traffic prevented it. I will be honest, I wanted him dead.

That **** aside, the scenery up here is breathtaking. Lochs, rivers, hills of golden leafed trees and bracken.

We arrived about 2pm and booked our table for dinner at 8pm. We decided to have a drink on our balcony looking over the beautiful Loch Linnhe and soon realised we would better bring that forward, or we would be turning up pished, shouting the odds.

So we did.

Dinner was fabulous. I had 6 Oysters to start, then a Seafood Rendevous, as it’s aptly named, assisted down by a fabulous white wine.

We repaired eventually to our room and had a few quality gins. On the edge of the Loch I spotted a Cormorant, and with the help of binoculars, watched it find a place to settle for the night.

As I write this, the Loch has a blanket of cloud resting on it, no change there, but it’s still absolutely beautiful. We are about to go down for a fabulous breakfast and decide where we are heading for an excursion.

We came through Glencoe yesterday, and every time I do, it is a sight to see. We didn’t stop this time, as it had dozens of tourists hell bent on annoying me. We will on the way back down on Saturday.

This is the part of the world my ancestors hailed from, before they headed to Glasgow to take up a life of organised crime. I always feel a connection and although I know that’s bolloks, I allow myself this delusion.

I don’t know how many of you have been up here, I know there’s a few, but for those who haven’t, I would strongly advise a trip. You will love it.

Tell them you know Magicpole and they will welcome you with open arms.

If you see on the news that the highland Clans have risen and are mobilising, you know it will be me behind it. Or somebody else.

Come to the Highlands, it’s great.

High on my bucket list

While you are in the highlands, don’t forget the islands!
Mull and Harris are my particular fave’s. Visit them before you need a visa :-)

A couple of years ago I did the Glasgow to Mallaig rail journey. Stunning scenery. Stopped in Oban, went over to Iona to see John Smith’s grave. Eat the best fish and chips ever in Oban. Going back next spring to do one of the scotrail classic rail journey packages. They are ridiculously cheap.
I too am hooked on the West Coast of Scotland. We first went to the Isle of Mull in 2006, and have been every year since. We mainly stay in Tobermory, but have also stayed in Fionnphort and Iona. I look each year for John Smith’s grave, but haven’t found it yet. We will never tire of that area of Britain, and could easily retire up there one day.

Favourite things are walking, eagle and other wildlife spotting, swimming in the beautiful clean sea, rivers and waterfalls, golden sandy beaches, the fantastic fresh seafood, restaurants serving local produce, crafts, local produce, cafes, absolutely stunning scenery, sea fishing, excursions (e.g. Staffa), friendliness of the people, absence of crime and anti-social behaviour.

How about a little bit of Luskentyre beach. Harris.

or maybe Mull:

that actually might be the west coast of Iona - i think i recognise it.

Reactions: mac
I too am hooked on the West Coast of Scotland. We first went to the Isle of Mull in 2006, and have been every year since. We mainly stay in Tobermory, but have also stayed in Fionnphort and Iona. I look each year for John Smith’s grave, but haven’t found it yet. We will never tire of that area of Britain, and could easily retire up there one day.

Favourite things are walking, eagle and other wildlife spotting, swimming in the beautiful clean sea, rivers and waterfalls, golden sandy beaches, the fantastic fresh seafood, restaurants serving local produce, crafts, local produce, cafes, absolutely stunning scenery, sea fishing, excursions (e.g. Staffa), friendliness of the people, absence of crime and anti-social behaviour.
Its in the churchyard at the cathedral mate. Towards the edge if I remember. Only took us 5 mins of looking. Needed to pay our respects to a good man.

You forgot to add the loony local driving on the single track roads!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.