The Boxing thread

Canelo is a world class fighter. Whilst I found Rocky Fielding a strange opponent, he still beat him comfortably.

Full respect to Rocky for all he’s achieved in the game but he wasn’t a real world champion even by today’s watered down standards.

Canelo just cherry picked another hopelessly overmatched opponent to beat up on so his stupid Mexican fanboys think he’s a genuine three weight world champion and thus are more willing to stump up their pesos for his next ppv.
Canelo's an excellent fighter plain and simple, fair enough it was obviously about the three weight champion moniker but that's nothing new in boxing, others did the same way before him. The hatchet job HBO did on making him a villain was their own undoing(which started way before the failed drug test), he doesn't need them anymore now DAZN stepped in. His haters are the biggest idiots in boxing by far for me, every excuse under the sun not to give him an ounce of credit when he is a once in a generation type talent.

Canelo's an excellent fighter plain and simple the hatchet job HBO did on making him a villain was their own undoing he doesn't need them anymore and his haters are the biggest idiots in boxing by far.
He’s a fantastic fighter. I think it’s ok to hate on drug cheats especially since he has used his commercial viability to have every card possible stacked in his favour fight after fight and in case those cards haven’t worked he’s bought judges as a failsafe

He’s a fantastic fighter. I think it’s ok to hate on drug cheats especially since he has used his commercial viability to have every card possible stacked in his favour fight after fight and in case those cards haven’t worked he’s bought judges as a failsafe
What like Tyson Fury, who I do think deserves to be able to put that behind him now but people act like it never happened is the point, there wasn't even any outrage amongst the boxing community that I remember. He's now a hero of so called hardcore British boxing fans, when he actually failed for full blown steroids not a weight cutting drug which is small potatoes in comparison. Why can't people see their own double standards? They moaned about him fighting Khan and forgot GGG did the same with Brook, both fights taken for the money... almost every excuse his haters come up with has a direct comparison to be made.

Again as I said in the edit the hatchet job started way before the drugs test, it's just double standards and every excuse by fanboys with an axe to grind. I'm done listening to all that, it's about time he started getting his dues now that's all, I'm not Mexican I just think the level of hate he's always had is unjustifiably weird.

All the stuff about catch weights and cherry picking opponents is all bollocks, Floyd never got half as much stick for that, they accepted he was the money man in boxing and Canelo has been for some time. Also if anyone's buying judges it will be Golden Boy, he doesn't self promote or do any of the dark arts like that, he's just an excellent fighter. Even the score cards people pick out as dodgy over his whole career, they didn't even once change the right results being given thankfully. Even the first GGG fight was a draw despite the ridiculous score card, most looking back even if they saw it different themselves can admit calling it a robbery was a complete overreaction to a close fight.

Last edited:
What like Tyson Fury who I do think deserves to be able to put that behind him now but people act like it never happened is the point, there wasn't even any outrage amongst the boxing community that I remember. He's now a hero of so called hardcore British boxing fans, when he actually failed for steroids not a weight cutting drug which is small potatoes in comparison?

Again as I said in the edit the hatchet job started way before the drugs test, it's just double standards and every excuse by fanboys with an axe to grind. I'm done listening to all that, it's about time he started getting his dues now that's all.

All the stuff about catch weights and cherry picking opponents is all bollocks, Floyd never got half as much stick for that, they accepted he was the money man in boxing and Canelo has been for some time. Also if anyone's buying judges it will be Golden Boy, he doesn't self promote or do any of the dark arts like that, he's just an excellent fighter. Even the score cards people pick out as dodgy over his whole career, they didn't even once change the right results being given thankfully(even the first GGG fight was a draw despite the ridiculous score card).
As a pure boxer he’s got everything, I love his skills. His body shots are sheer poetry, even at my age i study him in slo mo and try to copy it on the bag but he deserves stick for things he does

I agree that some people get away without public condemnation for drugs offences but canelo should still be hammered for his offence regardless.

Not sure what you mean by hatchet job. Criticism of canelo for cherry picking and catch weight is valid imo and not unfair as Floyd got murdered for it on the boxing forums.

Some scorecards are arguable either way (Lara) and that happens in boxing but I think the fact that he’d waited until GGG was clearly on the slide to fight him yet still took a beating and yet was criminally rescued by that horrible fvcking woman judge fuelled some of the antipathy towards him re dodgy judges.

Golden Boy is Canelo. He’s not some innocent country boy being used by unscrupulous promoters, he knows what’s going on. He knows they’ve got the Nevada commission in their pockets and he knew he was too valuable to Vegas to get a proper ban if he got caught

As a pure boxer he’s got everything, I love his skills. His body shots are sheer poetry, even at my age i study him in slo mo and try to copy it on the bag but he deserves stick for things he does

I agree that some people get away without public condemnation for drugs offences but canelo should still be hammered for his offence regardless.

Not sure what you mean by hatchet job. Criticism of canelo for cherry picking and catch weight is valid imo and not unfair as Floyd got murdered for it on the boxing forums.

Some scorecards are arguable either way (Lara) and that happens in boxing but I think the fact that he’d waited until GGG was clearly on the slide to fight him yet still took a beating and yet was criminally rescued by that horrible fvcking woman judge fuelled some of the antipathy towards him re dodgy judges.

Golden Boy is Canelo. He’s not some innocent country boy being used by unscrupulous promoters, he knows what’s going on. He knows they’ve got the Nevada commission in their pockets and he knew he was too valuable to Vegas to get a proper ban if he got caught
There's criticism and there's straight up writing off everything he's accomplished which is what I find bollocks, there's too many doing it... and you completely sidestepped the double standards which I deliberately repeated to drive the point home, it's undeniable there's double standards where he's concerned.

Also no Canelo isn't Golden Boy, Golden Boy are a big deal in their own right in boxing and handle many fighters, he's not some back street dealer handing brown paper envelopes out. It's obvious that some people just want to see him lose, excuse after excuse, even when the fights get made they still aren't happy because they didn't get the result they wanted. Floyd did get that but he never got this level of hate, he was held in high regard at least and had his fair share of acclaim.

If you can't see that HBO tried to paint him as the villain other than pointing to some of Kellerman's interviews and the pundits choice of wording when they mention him against their favoured fighters and so on, I don't know what else to tell you. He was always apparently ducking someone despite a very impressive boxing resume and when he did fight GGG it then became about him waiting until he was old... which I already saw coming(he got old in one year?) and when I stopped listening to it all because it's become too predictable, I find it all a bit childish in truth. The irony is I've been called a GGG hater for not jumping on the Canelo hate bandwagon, I happen to like and rate both boxers so it's all very odd to me.

Anyway perhaps that's a good place to leave it as we obviously see things differently.

Last edited:
Hasn’t Canelo fought Mayweather, GGG, Cotto, Liam Smith, Khan etc? Hardly the mark of a coward.

Hasn’t Canelo fought Mayweather, GGG, Cotto, Liam Smith, Khan etc? Hardly the mark of a coward.
I think people do rate him more than they let on, they just don't like him(is he much of a trash talker?) or maybe it's the Golden Boy connection(do they do the same with their other fighters?). Might just end up one of those boxers who get the credit after they retire.

I'm struggling to think of a fighter that has had this level of hate for so long despite doing so much so young.

There's criticism and there's straight up writing off everything he's accomplished which is what I find bollocks, there's too many doing it. Also NO Canelo isn't Golden Boy he's not some back street dealer handing brown paper envelopes out that's just stupid. It's obvious that some people just want to see him lose, excuse after excuse even when the fights get made they still aren't happy because they didn't get the result they wanted. Floyd did get that but he never got this level of hate, he was held in high regard at least.

If you can't see that HBO tried to paint him as the villain other than pointing to some of Kellerman's interviews and the pundits choice of wording when they mention him against their favoured fighters and so on I don't know what else to tell you other than you have obvious bias yourself. When he did fight GGG it then became about him waiting until he was old... which I already saw coming(he got old in one year?) and when I stopped listening to it all because it's become too predictable, I find it all a bit childish in truth.
At the end of the day whatever journos write and whatever gets said on forums is irrelevant, anyone who knows boxing knows he’s the real deal. I think all serious boxing writers and broadcasters acknowledge he’s an elite fighter. That said, the drug issue leaves a big black mark next to his name which won’t ever be forgotten imo.

Even leaving that aside In terms of legacy and whether he can be judged a great fighter the way he’s manipulated circumstances in his favour with catch weights and timing of fights damages his reputation in the same way it damaged floyd’s.

He bought time with joke fights against Smith and Khan when the fight the world wanted was Ggg. Golovkin’s displays against Jacobs and particularly Brook showed him to be a diminished fighter. At his age fighters get old overnight and those fights showed he had. If they’d fought Summer 2016 as they should’ve done GGG would’ve stopped him, by the time they did fight he was half a step too slow to cut the ring off so canelo was able to get away often enough to avoid a stoppage.

Canelo for me is a good fighter but its sad that he has had that drug ban. I never like gifted fighters being caught out but when you got that talent that Canelo has it makes you feel why do it. So his record for me will always be tainted. Him v GGG has to happend again I think he will dominate for some time also.

As for Frampton v Warrington. Carl is a gifted boxer brilliant at fighting on the backfoot. So if Warrington comes forward Carls work on the back foot is great he can pick him off at any time coming in. Honestly no desrespect to Warrington but if Frampton cant beat Warrington then he should hang up the gloves and retire. He has said he may only have 3 to 5 fights left in him and he wants big fights. So I would love Carl to get to fight Gary Russell Jnr and the rematch with Santa Cruz in Belfast but doubt that will happen in Belfast sadly. He will go down as 1 of Irelands great world champions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.