The Boxing thread

At the end of the day whatever journos write and whatever gets said on forums is irrelevant, anyone who knows boxing knows he’s the real deal. I think all serious boxing writers and broadcasters acknowledge he’s an elite fighter. That said, the drug issue leaves a big black mark next to his name which won’t ever be forgotten imo.

Even leaving that aside In terms of legacy and whether he can be judged a great fighter the way he’s manipulated circumstances in his favour with catch weights and timing of fights damages his reputation in the same way it damaged floyd’s.

He bought time with joke fights against Smith and Khan when the fight the world wanted was Ggg. Golovkin’s displays against Jacobs and particularly Brook showed him to be a diminished fighter. At his age fighters get old overnight and those fights showed he had. If they’d fought Summer 2016 as they should’ve done GGG would’ve stopped him, by the time they did fight he was half a step too slow to cut the ring off so canelo was able to get away often enough to avoid a stoppage.
Well if you think he was already diminished around the Brooks and Jacobs fights, that's not how I saw it and in that case would it have mattered had he fought him around that time or would you have claimed he got old over night?

The age difference isn't anyones fault, it's a shame but you can't really blame that on Canelo. It also wasn't like GGG's resume was packed with fighters operating at as high a level as them two either, they were a step up on what came before so the fact that they showed chinks in his armour was more down to that than him getting any slower. I thought Jacobs pinched that fight personally, I seem to remember he touched down on the canvas briefly(cost him the fight and he'll have known it watching it back) after getting clipped which was all the excuse the judges needed to keep the big fight with Canelo in play. I think putting the delay all on Canelo is a bit unfair, as usual both sides know the hardcore don't need selling on the fight, it's the mainstream they need to attract attention from and that takes time, Mayweather was a master at that. It's probably what's really happening with the AJ vs Wilder fight, both sides playing their part.

As I said we should probably leave it there as we see things differently, I see that you do at least give him some credit unlike a lot of the stuff I've read on youtube and what not.

Last edited:
I think Frampton will prove too good for Warrington too, his ability to slip and counter at close quarters really impressed me the last fight I saw him in. I don't think Warrington will be able to overwhelm him.

Well if you think he was already diminished around the Brooks and Jacobs fights, that's not how I saw it and in that case would it have mattered had he fought him around that time or would you have claimed he got old over night?

The age difference isn't anyones fault, it's a shame but you can't really blame that on Canelo. It also wasn't like GGG's resume was packed with fighters operating at as high a level as them two either, they were a step up on what came before so the fact that they showed chinks in his armour was more down to that than him getting any slower. I thought Jacobs pinched that fight personally, I seem to remember he touched down on the canvas briefly(cost him the fight and he'll have known it watching it back) after getting clipped which was all the excuse the judges needed to keep the big fight with Canelo in play. I think putting the delay all on Canelo is a bit unfair, as usual both sides know the hardcore don't need selling on the fight, it's the mainstream they need to attract attention from and that takes time, Mayweather was a master at that. It's probably what's really happening with the AJ vs Wilder fight, both sides playing their part.

As I said we should probably leave it there as we see things differently, I see that you do at least give him some credit unlike a lot of the stuff I've read on youtube and what not.
Yep we’ll agree to disagree. Enjoyed the discussion, cheers pal.

I think Frampton will prove too good for Warrington too, his ability to slip and counter at close quarters really impressed me the last fight I saw him in. I don't think Warrington will be able to overwhelm him.

I really do hope so. If anyone took the easy route it was Warrington fighting in Leeds in front of a vociferous Yarkshire crowd time and time again.

I really do hope so. If anyone took the easy route it was Warrington fighting in Leeds in front of a vociferous Yarkshire crowd time and time again.
Ah the cheery Leeds crowd atmosphere, there's something to look forward to. Just noticed they are top of the Championship at present too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.