The Boxing thread

Glad Usyk got more respect on here pre fight than everywhere else I looked. Fully deserved, and those last 4 championship rounds he really did start teeing off, I thought it summed up the fight when rather than try a hail mary Joshua just lay on the ropes sticking his tongue out knowing he could very well have been close to getting stopped himself.

I dont understand the clamour for a rematch at all, obviously in heavyweight boxing one big punch is all it takes (Wilder has made a career off his right hand) but how many fights would AJ land that big shot? 99/100 I think it goes the same way it did on saturday.

Glad Usyk got more respect on here pre fight than everywhere else I looked. Fully deserved, and those last 4 championship rounds he really did start teeing off, I thought it summed up the fight when rather than try a hail mary Joshua just lay on the ropes sticking his tongue out knowing he could very well have been close to getting stopped himself.

I dont understand the clamour for a rematch at all, obviously in heavyweight boxing one big punch is all it takes (Wilder has made a career off his right hand) but how many fights would AJ land that big shot? 99/100 I think it goes the same way it did on saturday.

I think it’s just the reporting in the media on the fight will obviously mention a rematch but I think there’s no clamour at all to see the rematch as most like you say feel it goes exactly the same

I think it’s just the reporting in the media on the fight will obviously mention a rematch but I think there’s no clamour at all to see the rematch as most like you say feel it goes exactly the same
I've seen Hearn talking about it which is weird, he might just get away with Fury/Joshua if AJ knocks out a gatekeeper or two but if Usyk does a job on him again in a rematch then it really is dead and buried.

I've seen Hearn talking about it which is weird, he might just get away with Fury/Joshua if AJ knocks out a gatekeeper or two but if Usyk does a job on him again in a rematch then it really is dead and buried.

yeah spot on, I think I’m public Hearn needs to show belief and support in AJ but behind closed doors he will probably be steering him to the winner of Fury Wilder

Re-watching the fight now. At times it almost looks like a mismatch tbh. Usyk is way to smart a boxer for AJ, he looks devoid of ideas to counter Usyk's movement, can't stop him coming in and out. Joshua looks worried.

In my humble opinion Fury has the size, power advantage and ring craft of Usyk, Fury v Joshua would be pointless tbh, there would only be one winner. Fury v Usyk is the fight now as long as Fury beats Wilder again. Joshua v Wilder should happen imo.
Cannot believe the judges had it a draw going into the ninth round which shows you that it was going to be an Eddie Hearn special.

I don't think there was much wrong with the judges scorecards. If they wanted to fix the fight, they could have scored it a draw regardless of how the last 3 rounds went. Most boxing sources I've looked at, are saying the judging was quite fair overall.

One judge scored it 8-3 Usyk, with one tied round. Another scored it 8-4 Usyk. The British judge scored it 7-5 Usyk. Considering AJ is the home fighter, there isn't much to complain about. It's just the usual twitter conspiracy talk.

I haven't re-watched the full fight yet but I will. I scored it 7-5 Usyk myself on first viewing. I wasn't listening to the commentary much either and I was sober while I watched it. I know some absolute fanatics(long time boxing only sports fans) who scored it the same too, so I know I'm in good company with that. Perhaps there is an element of guessing how the judges might score the closer rounds, given who the champion and home fighter is but equally those who wanted AJ to lose will score the closer rounds to Usyk by default too.

I noticed Roy Jones said similar to me after the fight in one of his interviews. AJ shouldn't have been so passive in the opening stages on the whole, he needed to bank as many of those as he could because Usyk was always going to be the the fresher fighter in the latter stages.

What I have done though is look at how others have scored it. Rounds 2, 4,5,6,8 are rounds that A LOT of people (including some at ringside, professional pundits, current and former fighters and boxing fans), scored for AJ.

Rounds 2 and 4 were swing rounds and I can explain why they were if anyone really wants me to, having watched those back(quite simple really). Most people scored 5,6 and 8 for AJ.

Some sources(Boxingscene) had AJ winning round 9 as well, despite his eye being damaged in that round. That was a big shot that landed in the last 30 seconds of the round but Usyk had took a lot of the round off before it because he was tiring, so there is an argument to be made for AJ there(I didn't score it that way personally). I think the amount of energy Usyk expended in the 7th impacted his output in the following two rounds. He definitely got his second wind though, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I don't think there was much wrong with the judges scorecards. If they wanted to fix the fight, they could have scored it a draw regardless of how the last 3 rounds went. Most boxing sources I've looked at, are saying the judging was quite fair overall.

One judge scored it 8-3 Usyk, with one tied round. Another scored it 8-4 Usyk. The British judge scored it 7-5 Usyk. Considering AJ is the home fighter, there isn't much to complain about. It's just the usual twitter conspiracy talk.

I haven't re-watched full the fight yet but I will. I scored it 7-5 Usyk myself on first viewing. I wasn't listening to the commentary much either and I was sober while I watched it. I know some absolute fanatics(long time boxing only sports fans) who scored it the same too, so I know I'm in good company with that. Perhaps there is an element of guessing how the judges might score the closer rounds, given who the champion and home fighter is but equally those who wanted AJ to lose will score the closer rounds to Usyk by default too.

I noticed Roy Jones said similar to me after the fight in one of his interviews. AJ shouldn't have been so passive in the opening stages on the whole, he needed to bank as many of those as he could because Usyk was always going to be the the fresher fighter in the latter stages.

What I have done though is look at how others have scored it. Rounds 2, 4,5,6,8 are rounds that A LOT of people (including some at ringside, professional pundits, current and former fighters and boxing fans), scored for AJ.

Rounds 2 and 4 were swing rounds and I can explain why they were if anyone really wants me to, having watched those back(quite simple really). Most people scored 5,6 and 8 for AJ.

Some sources(Boxingscene) had AJ winning round 9 as well, despite his eye being damaged in that round. That was a big shot that landed in the last 30 seconds of the round but Usyk had took a lot of the round off before it because he was tiring, so there is an argument to be made for AJ there(I didn't score it that way personally). I think the amount of energy Usyk expended in the 7th impacted his output in the following two rounds. He definitely got his second wind though, that's for sure.
Good post mate but I think usyk won first 3 easy And last 4 easy which leaves the 5 rounds in between which were more competitive. I had Joshua winning 3 rounds tops tbh and I do believe if usyk hadn’t really gone to town in them last 4 we would be seeing a very bad decision like quite a few of Eddie’s main attractions who seem to get the nod when the Chips are down such as Katie Taylor in the garden against persoon

Good post mate but I think usyk won first 3 easy And last 4 easy which leaves the 5 rounds in between which were more competitive. I had Joshua winning 3 rounds tops tbh and I do believe if usyk hadn’t really gone to town in them last 4 we would be seeing a very bad decision like quite a few of Eddie’s main attractions who seem to get the nod when the Chips are down such as Katie Taylor in the garden against persoon
I'm not trying to change your mind on how you scored because having watched some of the rounds again I can see the arguments from both sides. To get a 9-3 you've only given AJ the rounds that you had to though, so it's minimum rather than maximum. After this explanation, if you still can't see what I'm saying we are best off agreeing to disagree though.

I can see why you think it might have been unfair to have it even after the 8th because in all fairness rounds 1 and 3 and 7 were stronger-more dominant than any round AJ had in those first 8 rounds. That's not really relevant though, each round starts with a clean slate. You yourself gave AJ 3 rounds in those rounds(were they 5,6 and 8 out of interest?), giving a score of 5-3 after the 8th, which means you're really arguing over 1 round and there were 2 swing rounds in there, whether you identified them at the time or not.

More people seem to have scored the 2nd round for AJ than they did the 4th between the two swing rounds, from the boxing fan scorecards I've looked at. In the first half of the round, AJ landed the better shots, even though Usyk was displaying the better ringmanship and defence, AJ still got some good shots in((landed to the body and head forcing Usyk to retreat on more than one occassion). I actually think Usyk felt those punches(especially the body shots) and the round became a little cagier at the half way point, he started feinting more but really only went on the attack and turned the heat up in the last 40 seconds. To some, the closing stages left a lasting impression and they scored it to Usyk(that's fine) to others AJ was winning more of that round and thought Usyk gave up too much of it without landing enough to get the nod(also fine).

Round 4, is the first round AJ started to make some meaningful adjustments of his own, he was feinting himself, moving better and found success with his own shots. AJ caught Usyk clean in this round, enough to firstly mark up his eye and eventually open up a cut around the eye. Usyk landed the punch of the round(I seem to remember good left hook in the second half of the round) but AJ did more damage to Usyk in this round and finished the round touching him with the jab several times(those still count and he was reacting to them). Roy Jones acknowledged AJ's adjustments and both he and Darren Barker gave the 4th to AJ in commentary.

You don't have to score either of these rounds for AJ yourself but you can't really argue if someone did is my point, because of the above reasons. Along with the fact that, plenty enough people have scored those rounds differently, to show they really were swing rounds.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.