The Conservative Party

I find it amazing that Liz Truss got into Oxford University.

Some mistake, surely, unless somewhere along the way half her intellect has been destroyed. The mind boggles.

Or maybe getting into Oxbridge does not imply any connection to reality?

I'd imagine there are a lot of people who aren't that clever who got in. When you look at the numbers from some public schools, it's crazy how many go to Oxbridge, but then that's what people are paying for. It's not just, take the exams, and hope for the best. If there's any chance you'll get in, then you'll have every advantage in preparation - guided to easier subjects, and easier colleges, prepped for interviews and exams, and with more insider information than someone from a school where just one or two a year apply.

I do think it's unfair on Liz Truss though. Looking at her education, it wouldn't surprise me if she was academically clever, and let's face it, she got to be Prime Minister, so clearly has some impressive political skills. I'd imagine most people would struggle to be seen as clever in the full glare of a political career. There's always an opposition, and millions of people who don't like you, because of the party you support, happy to mock whatever slip you make, or whenever something doesn't work out. If you get through a career without saying a couple of really stupid comments, then you're very lucky, as they'll follow you around for ever more.

I suspect many on here would come across as a bit odd too, if they were constantly having to talk about their opinions in the media :)

Reactions: PPT
BTW I think the Deputy Speaker was Sir Christopher Chope. I always thought he was a fruitloop but he seems quite effective and fair in this role. Strangely some MPs seem not to know how to address him. Yesterday Priti Patel kept calling him 'Mr Chope'. Very odd. Standards seem to be slipping. I also note that most MPs now refer to he/she rather than the Honourable/ Rt. Honourable Gentleman/Lady. I was always taught that to refer to someone (especially in their presence) as he/she was rude. They'll be flicking Vs next!

BTW I think the Deputy Speaker was Sir Christopher Chope. I always thought he was a fruitloop but he seems quite effective and fair in this role. Strangely some MPs seem not to know how to address him. Yesterday Priti Patel kept calling him 'Mr Chope'. Very odd. Standards seem to be slipping. I also note that most MPs now refer to he/she rather than the Honourable/ Rt. Honourable Gentleman/Lady. I was always taught that to refer to someone (especially in their presence) as he/she was rude. They'll be flicking Vs next!
They can't say "you" as that's the speaker (or whichever deputy is in the chair)

Honourable/ Rt. Honourable Gentleman/Lady first, then he/she/fucking it thereafter

I think they tend to start by using an honorific of some sort, but then it is acceptable to use he/she as it's quite clunky otherwise. As long as it's clear which individual is being referred to - the MP of course is talking to the Speaker at all times!

Patel calling Chope Mr Chope is strange - either deliberate rudeness (curious at someone from the same party), or confusion as he's only acting deputy speaker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.