The Derby Post Match Thread

I'm not too disheartened we all knew it would be a struggle yesterday we've not played well all season and have had our hands tied.

If I could choose to lose a derby over the past few years it would have been yesterday as it didn't men much in terms of winning a title it was effectively a 3rd place play off and a victory may have led to our owners not realising how bad things had become on the pitch whereas now it will be dealt with.

Heads up blues keep the faith.

Paul_Powers_Tash said:
super_city_si said:
Bluecoll said:
Actually, indirectly it did.

The whole game is based around money. When the new regime came in there weren't the restrictions that are in place now and we were able to spend what we wanted when we wanted to. As a result we assembled the nucleus of the 2012 Championship winning team with the likes of Hart, Zabaletta, Kompany, Toure, Silve and Aguero, all of them arguably world class. Last close season, with the FFP restrictions in place, we weren't able to spend the same sort of money (whereas the likes of united could) and didn't appreciably improve the squad. Which leads us to where we are today with an aging team who look tired and complacent.

A good model is to bring in one or two top class players every year as well as blood one or two youngsters. That way they integrate into the team and you have continuity and players hungry for success. The players we bought in the close season and since are not top players, we bought quantity over quality. Magala must have looked good on paper but hasn't cut it. God knows what happened to make us buy Fernando. Is Bony world class? And when was the last time we saw a player from a very successful youth set up break into the first team for a run of games?

Looking to the future we have to come up with a workable strategy of getting the best players available and also stay within FFP rules. For instance we need to replace Yaya, not just because of his performances but because his massive wage bill is causing us FFP problems.

The root of our problems now are due to not being able to use money we have but can't spend, and a woeful set of choices when we have spent. This squad is the fifth oldest in Europe and we're going to have to invest heavily over the next couple of years to get us back on track. If we can under FFP regulations. Not getting Champions League status next season will not only make it harder to attract top quality players but will also impact on our ability to spend to get the right men for the job.

Like it or not, FFP has a massive bearing over how City and playing now and how we'll do over the next few seasons.
I agree with this. We need a fresh injection of top class talent evry year. Not loads, but one or two top players to keep the hunger and put other players on their toes.
With the recent handicap we bought second level who won't push for starting places.

We can blame FFP but the lessons of today don't really back that up. Yes it is important to have a talented squad and I think we already have that; its essential, not important, that we use that talent effectively.

Nine of the eleven United team that took us to the cleaners for 60 minutes today played under David Moyes. The only two additions were Daily Blind who for me is nothing more than a good solid pro and Anders Herrera who is a poor mans Fabregas. Did these two players really make the difference? I doubt it. I think it's clear to anyone who understands that game that it was the managers work throughout the season on the training ground that made the difference. The fitness, the tactical understanding, the desire and hunger, the awareness of our weaknesses and how to expose them etc etc

Bottom line is spend all the money that you like but without the right manager you're wasting your time. FFP isn't the problem.

As for our squad getting old, its a line that was started by Gary Neville and everyone has swallowed it. Chelsea won the Champions League because their team had EXPERIENCE!!! How gullible are we FFS!!!

Perfectly summed up, some on here think we will walk the league if we spend £150 million on the squad, until we have players coming through the ranks that actually give a Shit about the club then it's just a case of rinse and repeat every 2-3 seasons , spend, dismantle, spend, dismantle.

We've been found out.

morning everyone, let`s get our colours on, stick our chests out and don`t rise to the red woodworms bait...
it`s their 1st win against us in fuckin ages,we knew it was coming, let them have their 15mins of fame..
even when we`re shite they only beat us by a couple of goals, remember where we`ve come from and where we`re at..
CTID

TheRisingoftheNorth said:
Balti said:
Stoned Rose said:
It's abundantly clear we don't even think about the opposition imo.

I've never seen MP do anything as a proactive measure to counter an opponent's strengths.

MP's approach is clearly one of we've got the 'best players; so we'll outscore you. This is great when the machinery is working and the players are motivated and 'into it' but it's one hell of a risk to be putting yourself in a position where you need to be scoring 2,3,4 goals to win games of football.

Imagine Mourinho with this set of players? I think we'd absolutely walk this league.

true

but it wouldn't be nice and ''holistic''

being ''holistic'' is apparently more important than winning

I don't know about holistic, but I would rather lose than win the Mourinho way

Can we have a giant banner made for the rest of the season please....
it should read "Is being holistic more important than winning???"

Put that in the face of the guys running the club

I do like a bit of nostalgia, but City went to far going completely retro on us, losing games and Derby matches easily (even the U18s joined in for the latter at the weekend) and ending up sliding down the league table. At least the Womens' team ignored that memo and claimed a place in the semi finals of the FA Cup (a Wembley final after all for us this season ?).

More seriously what we do not know and are worried about is if this slide can be halted by the end of the season and we at least finish 4th (ideally at least 3rd), and if not, how damaging not being in the Champions League will be for us.

It is depressing to think we could be about to slip back into the pack on a more long term basis.

Even if we arrest the slide by the end of the season, we have at present not only players out of form (Zabaleta, Kompany and to a lesser degree Silva) but also a number of players seemingly disinterested (Toure, Nasri, Kolarov and Dzeko) and players who either are simply not good enough (Mangala, Caballero, Fernando, Sagna) or players who can have good games but ultimately can flatter to deceive (Fernandinho and Navas) or players who will not be here next season anyway (Lampard and most likely Milner) - why the PR cockup with Lampard who at most has been a bit part player ?
With Bony we still do not know how he will work out with us.

Since November Clichy has probably been our best\most consistent player.

Even without any FFP restrictions this summer we can not spend more than we bring in as we still need to abide by FFP rules, thus some careful deals need to be done for new players as we cannot just go out and spend large sums (no players from the Portugese league this summer please).

The key decisions will be on Toure, sell or stay, and if he leaves who we want to fill that gap and what to do about Mangala.

Central Midfield is our main weakness and a lack of pace when attacking.
Thus at least a new combative central midfield player and a winger would be good. Possible solution if feasible and not unrealistic, is sell Nasri, Dzeko and Toure to fund a Paul Pogba or Ross Barkley and Jordan Henderson deal and sell Navas and Kolarov to fund a Gareth Bale deal. With some limited money also gained by selling Sinclair and Gudetti and having offloaded more players than we bring in, reducing the wage bill slightly.

Having paid so much for Mangala he is likely to stay with us of course, but he has shown he is a player who leaves us prone to conceding goals regularly. We could have paid less than half the money for say Ryan Shawcross and got someone at least OK for the domestic league.

Although it will not happen I would try and sell Mangala and either use Rekik or Denayer as partner for Kompany with Demichelis as backup, or buy a another central defender

Then into the matchday 18 add the 2 best EDS players we have either currently with us playing in the EDS or out on loan.

I'v got to go to Vodafone in the Trafford Centre later, I very rarely wear a City shirt but Today I will make an exception

Eccles Blue said:
blue underpants said:
I'v got to go to Vodafone in the Trafford Centre later, I very rarely wear a City shirt but Today I will make an exception

I will wear mine with pride as well. We are City & we are just having a bad patch.
We've been in Div 3 so we can handle 5th

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.