The Foodies thread

I recently bought a Massaman curry kit from Aldi having already tried the Pad Thai kit which I really enjoyed. Kit contains curry paste, coconut milk and herbs and spices, also a sachet of crushed peanuts.

Recipe said to use beef and cubed potatoes so I diced 2 packs of rib eye steaks and a packet of Jersey Royals and added half a red pepper and a bunch of spring onions. As I was cooking I tasted it and it was a bit mild for me so I added half a teaspoon of hot curry powder which brought the spice up nicely. Really enjoyed it and got 3 meals out of it.

I recently bought a Massaman curry kit from Aldi having already tried the Pad Thai kit which I really enjoyed. Kit contains curry paste, coconut milk and herbs and spices, also a sachet of crushed peanuts.

Recipe said to use beef and cubed potatoes so I diced 2 packs of rib eye steaks and a packet of Jersey Royals and added half a red pepper and a bunch of spring onions. As I was cooking I tasted it and it was a bit mild for me so I added half a teaspoon of hot curry powder which brought the spice up nicely. Really enjoyed it and got 3 meals out of it.
We used to buy kits like that, but eventually I went to an Indian supermarket, it was quiet so I asked the woman what spices I needed to make authentic curry, I came out with a big bags of things like Garam Masala, (aromatic spices mixed) Turmeric, Coriander & Cumin, she told me a teaspoonful of each but then taste the curry as it's cooking and adjust. Add coconut cream if desired (if you use half a tin you can freeze the rest).

Anyway turns out we have enough spices for the next 10 years all for about 20 quid. They don't have any use by date or any of that nonsense. Try it, you can get very good at it.

We used to buy kits like that, but eventually I went to an Indian supermarket, it was quiet so I asked the woman what spices I needed to make authentic curry, I came out with a big bags of things like Garam Masala, (aromatic spices mixed) Turmeric, Coriander & Cumin, she told me a teaspoonful of each but then taste the curry as it's cooking and adjust. Add coconut cream if desired (if you use half a tin you can freeze the rest).

Anyway turns out we have enough spices for the next 10 years all for about 20 quid. They don't have any use by date or any of that nonsense. Try it, you can get very good at it.
Great post.

I do the same. You can use a blend of the spices to marinade meats for Kebabs too. Mixing a teaspoon of like you say, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, ground fennel seeds with garlic, ginger, lemon juice and Greek yoghurt will make a really nice paste to smoother over meats.

Can grill, bbq or cook on a skillet and they come out amazing.

Serve on homemade flatbreads (which are also a piece of piss to make) with salad and dressing of your choice and you'll likely very rarely look to get a takeaway kebab or packet mix again.

I often batch marinade and freeze. Then take out of freezer and grill midweek for tea when I'm short on time.

I follow Food with Chetna on YouTube, this is a great quick tasty recipe, Butter Ckicken, I highly recommend it!
She also does some really authentic Indian recipes.
Great to cook along with as you can see the consistency and when to add the different ingredients etc
Masala, Biriani, Methi, restaurant style, starters, flat breads, they are all super tasty!

I used to be a massive fan of potatoes, I've gone off them completely the last while.

I'm more into Stir Fry, I love noodles with Chicken or Beef mixed with Onion, Peppers, Chorizo Sausage with Black Bean Sauce or Sweet Chilli Sauce.

Yesterday I made a Steak Sandwich, The missus got lovely bread from the bakery and we made Steak Sandwich with fried onion, melted cheese, mixed peppers and bbq sauce.

I'm starving now!

I'm a decent cook and have tried cooking Indian food Bill. Several years ago I had a couple of Indian cook books I had given as presents which were in a cupboard doing nothing. An ex girlfriend said she liked curries and I offered to make her some so I went to ASM store in Ashton and told an Indian guy I wanted all the spices to make a full range of curries. Came out with 2 bags and started making them.

I followed a recipe for a medium curry tasting it several times as I cooking it and it turned out well. I was enjoying it but my ex gf was struggling with the spicy heat so I put hers back in the pan and added a big dollop of natural yoghurt which brought the heat down. "Still too hot for me" she said... " But you said you like curry"?.... " I do, but I only like Korma and Tikka Masala"..

That pretty much stopped me cooking curries for her : /

I used to do a lot of summer BBQs and my chicken tandoori kebabs always went down a treat. Really tasty and easy to do. Just cubed chicken with a marinade of Rajah tandoori masala spice mixed into natural yoghurt and fresh lemon juice added. Leave in a bowl overnight and grill. Add more fresh lemon juice when cooked. Delicious.

Last edited:
I did a roasted cauliflower salad last night. It was very good. Roast Cauliflower florets and butternut squash chunks in hot oven (Cauli 40mins, BS 25mins). Roast a few good piccolo tomatoes for 10 mins. Tahini Sauce; Tahini paste, water, lemon juice, seasoned, squeeze of honey all blended smooth. Make a Moroccan cous cous; sauté 1/2 chopped onion in pan with some garlic for 15 mins. at the end add a teaspoon of ground coriander and ground cumin, add cous cous and combine then 300ml of veg stock. Take off heat, cover and leave for 10 mins. Meanwhile toast some pine nuts and cashews gently. When cous cous is ready, add chopped parsley cranberries and chopped apricots. Serve it all on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves with the tahini sauce and the nuts sprinkled over the top.

Very nice, one thing is though, they may not have use by dates on them and they won't go bad but spices do lose flavour and freshness over time.

Looks like it's crept back up to about £250. I can't believe this thread is going to cost me money :o(
An Amazon Prime day deal. I think AO were matching them, but have also reverted back to £250. If they can take a wage at £189 with free delivery, you have to begin to wonder about the mark ups.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.