The Greatest player of your time

DIEGO ARMANDO MARADONA - pace, skill, control, body movement, balance, vision, passing range... all whilst off his face on cocaine.

The nearly but not quites in my lifetime are Marco van Basten, Michel Platini (the player not the politician, despite what people think of him now), and Romario too.

Best player I've had the privilege of seeing live... I saw the Inter Milan team of 1990 so pick any from Klinsmann, Lothar Matthaus or Giuseppe Bergomi.

blue dallas said:
jamiegrimble said:
Theres an ex chairman called Peter Ridsdale that had more to do with that than wilkinson.He fell on his sword when he messed with Terry Venables the rest is history.Venables had better lawyers.
he still bought deane for 3 mill after selling cantona !
O.K. you have no respect for wilkinson.Cool.I look deeper.

Franco Baresi was an awesome defender:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boPQNpPvJq0[/youtube]

Bear in mind he was 34, and had suffered a very bad knee injury just weeks before, yet he had Romario in his back pocket. Imagine a central defence pairing of him and Bobby Moore.

I'm surprised Zico hasn't been mentioned, he was a genius.

Johan Cruyff was the best player I've seen. I never saw him play live but I always enjoyed watching the Dutch team play with Cruyff being the star.

He had everything, turn of pace, good in the air and unbelievable balance.
I remember a game in the world cup when he sent a defender for a loaf. The defender went one way and fell on his arse and Cruyff went the other.

Better alround player than the fat Argy.

Gosford Blue said:
Johan Cruyff was the best player I've seen. I never saw him play live but I always enjoyed watching the Dutch team play with Cruyff being the star.

I remember a game in the world cup when he sent a defender for a loaf. The defender went one way and fell on his arse and Cruyff went the other.

No one comes close to Maradona.

He won the League with Napoli in what was a relatively poor team, and won World Cups for Argentina.

The effect he had on the teams he played in can be measured by trophies

Marvin said:
Gosford Blue said:

No one comes close to Maradona.

He won the League with Napoli in what was a relatively poor team, and won World Cups for Argentina.

The effect he had on the teams he played in can be measured by trophies

agreed, napoli had never won seria a, they won it twice with maradona.

and the 86 world cup, anyone name the rest of the team, without the aid of google ?

A couple of relative quotes.That are available on the internet concerning this thread..Maradona credited Best as a key inspiration during his footballing youth, and Pele himself once described the Belfast Boy as the 'greatest footballer in the world', . In the east side of his native city, they have a saying: 'Maradona good, Pele better. George Best.'
I wouldnt go that far.For me pele,and then Best.

jamiegrimble said:
A couple of relative quotes.That are available on the internet concerning this thread..Maradona credited Best as a key inspiration during his footballing youth, and Pele himself once described the Belfast Boy as the 'greatest footballer in the world', . In the east side of his native city, they have a saying: 'Maradona good, Pele better. George Best.'

when it comes to quotes - ''Kinkladze was singled out for praise by Diego Maradona, during a stint at CA Boca Juniors, and Real Madrid CF had also considered signing the 21-year-old and his 'dancing feet', honed as a youngster when his mother had sent him to learn the traditional Georgian ballet, mtiulur.''

Kinky by name said:
jamiegrimble said:

when it comes to quotes - ''Kinkladze was singled out for praise by Diego Maradona, during a stint at CA Boca Juniors, and Real Madrid CF had also considered signing the 21-year-old and his 'dancing feet', honed as a youngster when his mother had sent him to learn the traditional Georgian ballet, mtiulur.''
Pele is rent a quote. I ignore everything he says

A lot of City fans still reckon that Gio was the best player they have seen, but its a fact proven by relegation that he was unable to transform the team

Maradona was a one man revolution who changed the fortnes of his team.

In a different era when footballers are even fitter than they are today, there may come along a better footballer. each generation is more and more effective. But I doubt there will ever be a player who had such an effect on the teams in which he played

Well sed Marvin 100% spot on.
As for best he did fook all for N.I and played with some great players at the scum.
Maradonna was a genius for club and country without the help of other great players around him.

P.s the N.I Best remark is open to be proven wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.