The home support is terrible

I would argue the core issue for football grounds nationwide is that young fans in the main are priced out...much higher percentage of matchgoing fans in the 35-50 yr old bracket...fans who were teens in the 70's and who now have a disposable income...older fans probably means less noise.
All seaters have changed the vibes too. When I stood on the Kippax, my old man was in the North stand cos he wanted to 'watch the match.'
I would go for a safe- standing cheap season ticket enclosure to encourage a bit more singing.

cibaman said:
There's still a strong sense of pessimism amongst City fans, we sit there expecting the worst to happen. Tension fills the air until we're 2 or 3 up.

Perhaps best summed up by Martin Samuel's comment after the West Ham game last season "It wasnt until the 89th minute that City fans started to sing we're going to win the league".

i always think at even 4 nil up in injury

time at least we should get a draw out of this !

cibaman said:
There's still a strong sense of pessimism amongst City fans, we sit there expecting the worst to happen. Tension fills the air until we're 2 or 3 up.

Perhaps best summed up by Martin Samuel's comment after the West Ham game last season "It wasnt until the 89th minute that City fans started to sing we're going to win the league".

Ha ha this is so true! With five minutes to go and 2-0 up i was telling some fan's near me singing ''We are the champions,champions of England!'' to shut up because i have seen us blow it too many times lol! I though a flukey West Ham goal now and panic would set in...mind you the fact we only needed a point helped my nerves!

I would much prefer our pessimism than the Liverpool fans singing it in February and genuinely believing it.

We just don't have enough fans in the 16-30 age group,around me in the 3rd tier of the Colin Bell stand you can count on one hand fans under 40. I am not saying that people over 30 don't sing but our demographics can't help matters.

MCFCHOWELL said:
Wreckless Alec said:
I get the impression that the best crowds are the most organised and choreographed. Whilst, I'd love that to happen, I don't sense an appetite for it at City. Either we're too cool or too contrary.
Agreed.

Yep... whenever there has been even a mention of something 'organised', the grey haired brigade have attacked in force! Organisation works, it's proven... there is only one real group like this in the Premier League and they are called the Holmesdale Fanatics at Crystal Palace, which has had a good home atmosphere for 4 or 5 years now because of them. It may not be the "edgy" banter of insulting fat men or calling someone in pink a "f*ggot", but it leads to constant noise. And certainly beats stone cold silence. I think a younger, energetic crowd is needed for this though and we have that generation gap (most lost to United in the 90s/early 00s) where there don't seem to be huge numbers between kids and age 40+. Our best hope (for now) remains the new block next season so people who want to make a difference, email the 1894 Group. :P

LoveCity said:
MCFCHOWELL said:
Wreckless Alec said:
I get the impression that the best crowds are the most organised and choreographed. Whilst, I'd love that to happen, I don't sense an appetite for it at City. Either we're too cool or too contrary.
Agreed.

Yep... whenever there has been even a mention of something 'organised', the grey haired brigade have attacked in force! Organisation works, it's proven... there is only one real group like this in the Premier League and they are called the Holmesdale Fanatics at Crystal Palace, which has had a good home atmosphere for 4 or 5 years now because of them. It may not be the "edgy" banter of insulting fat men or calling someone in pink a "f*ggot", but it leads to constant noise. And certainly beats stone cold silence. I think a younger, energetic crowd is needed for this though and we have that generation gap (most lost to United in the 90s/early 00s) where there don't seem to be huge numbers between kids and age 40+. Our best hope (for now) remains the new block next season so people who want to make a difference, email the 1894 Group. :P

I am of that generation and I have yet to meet a Rag who's dad/relative was a City fan.

The gap which younger generations can fill is all down to the price of football in the Premier League. That's why, following the announcement of the Premier League £5.14bn TV deal this week, there have been many calling for it to be a duty of Premier League clubs to use part of that income to ensure younger generations have the opportunity to attend matches.

LoveCity said:
MCFCHOWELL said:
Wreckless Alec said:
Agreed.

Im in that age bracket. Its price thats stopping that, I've got mates that are either city or united fans barely any of them go. The few that do= go with there dad or family. Ive noticed it at matches and in the pub beforehand theres barely anyone my age ( 21 ). Thing is though there are loads of city fans in the 20-30 bracket that just can't afford to go. Mos tot the crowd is made of middle-aged men or families i.e. the only ones that can afford it.

I keep coming back to it, but the hamburg game proves we have a young crowd there, loads of groups of young lads myself included, singing walking to ground. You never see that now. if we got standing back and cheap tickets the south stand would be completely different

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.