The home support is terrible

willy eckerslike said:
Neville Kneville said:
It's strange how many City fans have really important things to do, kids who have to be in bed, bad whatevers, compared to fans of many other clubs.

Indeed it seems in modern times City fans have got much more demanding lives than they once had, even in fact since the COMS opened.

But it's obviously the case. City fans have more important things to do, than many fans of other clubs, & have to be off.

Otherwise, they would surely stay to applaud the team off, like a few of us sad bastards with no lives do.

Nah, this early leaving lark happens everywhere.

You're right, it does, but I think it's more pronounced at our place than many other grounds. Each to their own and all that, and I fully accept that some people would have something lined up later where they needed to get a flyer, but that wouldn't apply to most people leaving early and I thought it was laughable how few people were left in the stadium come the final whistle on Saturday given that we'd turned in a terrific performance played in front of a better than usual atmosphere.

Oddly enough, as much as the composition of the crowd gets criticised for Champions League games with more tourists, etc, I've noticed that far more people tend to stay to the latter stages or the end when compared to the bog standard league games.

I sing, shout, stand and generally make as much noise as possible for 86-87 minutes and then leave (depending on if the team needs more noise/support for the last few + injury time)

Next game I am going to go and sit in complete silence but stay until the very end (regardless of the result)

I wonder if everyone did this which approach would better serve the players motivation for the whole game.

A far cry from the old Maine Road days I'm afraid .... My lads have been brought up on staying till the end and applauding the team off ..... I know our players get paid handsomely but it wouldn't hurt a few more fans to stay till the end, by the time the team are walking off the stadium is so empty its a joke ........ Are people's lives that chaotic that they need to leave early to avoid the traffic and for what get home about 30-45 mins early ....

M18CTID said:
willy eckerslike said:
Neville Kneville said:
It's strange how many City fans have really important things to do, kids who have to be in bed, bad whatevers, compared to fans of many other clubs.

Indeed it seems in modern times City fans have got much more demanding lives than they once had, even in fact since the COMS opened.

But it's obviously the case. City fans have more important things to do, than many fans of other clubs, & have to be off.

Otherwise, they would surely stay to applaud the team off, like a few of us sad bastards with no lives do.

You're right, it does, but I think it's more pronounced at our place than many other grounds. Each to their own and all that, and I fully accept that some people would have something lined up later where they needed to get a flyer, but that wouldn't apply to most people leaving early and I thought it was laughable how few people were left in the stadium come the final whistle on Saturday given that we'd turned in a terrific performance played in front of a better than usual atmosphere.

Oddly enough, as much as the composition of the crowd gets criticised for Champions League games with more tourists, etc, I've noticed that far more people tend to stay to the latter stages or the end when compared to the bog standard league games.

It doesn't happen the same at most other grounds. Not when their side wins & especially when the side scores 4 goals. When they are getting hammered perhaps.

I'm not sure even the rags & Arsenal fans fuck off as quickly as ours on the whole, & they are self entitled wankers.

Whatever excuses people make, it's the case that a large number of fans don't bother at the end of games anymore. If we had just come up under Joe Royle & were playing like we are now, the ground would be full at the end & people would be loudly & avidly cheering the players off, including many of those who say they have no choice but to leave now. We have quickly come to see great football & winning stuff as being the norm & unfortunately our home support is not as good as it used to be.

Perhaps more tourists & younger fans in the future will actually improve it, rather than make it worse . There are a lot of old school fans who don't even applaud when the team is read out. Under Royle or Keegan etc at Maine Rd they would have.

Neville Kneville said:
Perhaps more tourists & younger fans in the future will actually improve it, rather than make it worse . There are a lot of old school fans who don't even applaud when the team is read out. Under Royle or Keegan etc at Maine Rd they would have.

They will. There was a young Asian women near me at weekend. She loved every minute and stayed there clapping the team until they walked off the pitch. They cherish the experience more than many of our "loyal and local fans" yet the stereotype goes that the tourists somehow keep these fans out and ruin the atmosphere!

Some of tourists are really ignorant (I've had a camera stuck in my face and told to give a 'thumbs up' for one in the midst of us choking against Burnley), but many of them relish the experience and are more involved than a lot of our own fans.

And as M18CTID said, the early exit thing is less pronounced in a lot of cup games when more people buy on general sale and there seems to be less of an early exodus. Our early leaving is the most pronounced I've seen in the league except when teams are losing and fans have had enough.

LoveCity said:
Neville Kneville said:

They will. There was a young Asian women near me at weekend. She loved every minute and stayed there clapping the team until they walked off the pitch. They cherish the experience more than many of our "loyal and local fans" yet the stereotype goes that the tourists somehow keep these fans out and ruin the atmosphere!

Some of tourists are really ignorant (I've had a camera stuck in my face and told to give a 'thumbs up' for one in the midst of us choking against Burnley), but many of them relish the experience and are more involved than a lot of our own fans.

And as M18CTID said, the early exit thing is less pronounced in a lot of cup games when more people buy on general sale and there seems to be less of an early exodus. Our early leaving is the most pronounced I've seen in the league except when teams are losing and fans have had enough.

A lot of fans on the first tier dont actually leave the stadium, just move to the back of the stand. And as they move to the back of the stand others nearer the front move back and take their seats. So you have all of these people gradually moving towards the back of the stand, which makes it look worse than it is. There are probably several thousand fans loitering at the back of the stands when the final whistle go,

I was brought up to show my appreciation of the players by staying until the final whistle and clapping them off, or shouting frustration if it was required. It used to do my nut when our players walked straight off after poor results, particularly away from home. I think it was Mark Hughes who first sent them all over to us to at least show their appreciation for our support despite their poor performance or the result. It's the little things like that and I think it looks poor having a half-empty stadium with 5-10 minutes left of the game. It shows a lot of complacency from fans who think "we've won the game, I'm off now so I can beat the traffic". That's not what it's about, who cares if it saves you 30 minutes. We won 5-0 I'm buzzing for far longer than that after the game. People forgetting the bad days far too quickly.

LadislavMplmx said:
can't believe some people actually offer an 'excuse' as to why they leave early,like its anyones business.......
Agree with that. Only time I get annoyed is when people leave early but stop to watch as they are on the way out.

If you are going to go, just go.

M18CTID said:
willy eckerslike said:
Neville Kneville said:

Watched the City v Bayern match again the other day and noticed for Kuns 2nd and 3rd goal that the ground was still fairly full and this was in the last few minutes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.